TD#5 - Road Atlanta - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

TD#5 - Road Atlanta

So, on the easter weekend, friday morning. I left from work at 6am, took a shower, threw my junk in the car and headed to Ira's house, but not before grabbing gatorade and fruits at farm fresh

So yeah, after a packing it all up we were on the road by like 9am or sometime after. Fast fwd to friday night, after the hail storm, thunderstorms and a couple traffic jams, we're at the paddock, unload, drop tent, and left. Right before the hotel, the trucks temp starts climbing, Ira said the steering was stiff, the battery gauge was on 0.
We pull into the gas station across the intersection from our hotel. Coolant is gushingout of the truck. After about 5 minutes, of searching, and refilling with water we crank it on. Then I see the water pump pulley rocking.
Water punmp is done training.
We limb across the street to the hotel.
The receptionist mentioned that the daytime receptionist has a mechanic around the corner. So in the am, we take a cab to the track and left Ira's wife to call him in the am.
I tried to talk them into suiting up for the cab ride, but they wouldn't anyway, the guy was legit, comes thru, leaves his car, takes the truck for a couple hours. Then $220 later we had a new pump and serpentine belt. not bad at all.

By the time all that went down we were a good 3 or 4 sessions into the 1st day. My dumb self, didn't touch the forks after changing the oil during the off season. So needless to say. My bike wasn't right, 1st session I did a whopping 1.5 laps. Came right back in. The front wheel felt like a basketball. Came in set the sag, went out for 1 more lap, still felt off.
When I went back out, it felt a little better, but honestly not like the RR I know. I stayed out seeing if I could ride around it, but caught the bumps in T5 and almost highsided. Bouncing out of the saddle and stuff. Spooked my day after that. At the end of the session I asked a CR about this and he told me for sure there is a bump in T5, but if I hug the apex on the correct line I won't feel it. Well he was right, for the rest of the day I never was off the line by much on T5. I was still getting wheelies coming out of T5 over the hill tho. As the sessions went on, I found that after 3 or so laps the bike felt a lot better. So I came in and threw the warmers on after searching for some power. The pole we parked beside powered my electric razor but didn't power our warmers. Then I checked the tire pressure, I was mad high. Fixed that, then checked it again before I went out. Instantly after 1 lap I felt waaaaay better. Upped the pace and started running 1"49s and 50s then came in. Threw the warmers on and checked the pressure. 31f/29r. Hmmm? Went to see derek leslie told him what's up, he said too high, try 28/28 or 29/28. So I went with 29/28 since I don't like when the steering feels super heavy in the pits. Went out the next session and tho the front end still didn't feel as connected as it did last year, I did a few 1"48s. The best on saturday was 1'48.6 I was happy, by the last few sessions, I actually didn't get passed every corner and passes a few guys myself.

Ira was having pretty much the same disconnected feeling, but he felt 10x better and more comfortable on the R1 than he remembers the R6 being. He actually wasn't cramping or anything. Charlie brown, was running off the track like it was cool. Ira said he wasn't liking the hard suspension, so Ira backed off a few clicks and he felt way better. He seemed to be having a blast, but said the GP shift was messing him up. So they switched that for him too.

I was feeling weird, like a fish out of water. Trying to ride around the odd feeling my bike had. But it wasn't working. I simply couldn't push in some corners that I know last year I wouldve never been passed in those turns.

Ira threw on his warmers after I had told him they made me feel better sooner. We both were feeling good but not 100% by the last 2 or 3 sessions.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Sunday we pack everything up, check out, ate breakfast and head to the track. I checked the psi cold, it was 24/22 I was like ok. Tech inspection, flew thru that, put the warmers on. BS'ed some, kept an eye on the ambient temp. 59 overcast-ish meh, we'll see, weather punks said highs in the 70s today, better than saturdays upper 60s.

1st session, chilled out, then on lap 3 or 2 I got a 2 wheel drigt going into the T3 chicanes left hand sweep. Oh snap. Guess who's skerd 1st thing in the AM. Anyway I chill, got some heat in the tire carcass. Came in checked pressure. 26/25. Hmm I guess I'm too slow to heat em up.
2nd session was after a loooong lunch because of the no noise sunday rule, I go out and I'm getting passed like I don't belong in the I group. Wtf, oh well, I'm not repairing anything, they can have it.
Temp was going up, skies cleared, nice
26/25 psi still. Hmm, took it to get some air, then set them at 28/28 went back out, and man, I almost felt like I did saturday afternoon. Nice. Running 50s to 52s ugh, wth? Any we got all day.
Went back out and had a much better run, as the sessions went on the track got hotter and I kept monitoring the tire pressure, had to adjust it almost every session, it kept going up, as the carcas heated up, with each session and the warmers. The strange feeling front end actually get a bit predictable and I started to ride around it, I was back in the upper 40s hitting consistent 48s and 49s. I felt good, started passing guys, and not getting passed as much.
The rest of the day I kept working on my consistency in the corners I was comfortable in, and tried to improve and find confidence in the others. Ira was having a blast, he's truely a big fish in B group. I mean I'd see him go by and have like 2 CRs on his tail. They're just having a good ole time. Charlie Brown was doing his thing, running off the track and stuff. I tried to explain to him, the process where u don't puss out and just commit to the turn and hold on, but he doesn't listen too well, kept trying to tell me he was doing that, then I asked, so why are you running off then? Couldn't answer me. Anyway. He was having fun, that's all I cared to see. That and him not ruining that beautiful bike.

All in all, road atlanta is a challenging track. The whole track just flows and flows, but I found it difficult to get that flow going and keep It throughout an entire lap. I think the track is lumpy. It has a lot of bumps that you can't see, but def feel. I was feeling every damn thing. I'd ask, hey, did you feel that bump at T12, the dip at the apex, they'd be like what dip. A session later, yeah that dip, I found it. As Ira always says, I go out and feel every bump and dip, and as soon as I tell him about it, he finds it a session or 2 later. Otherwise, I learned a lot. Especially about just how much confidence affects speed/lap times. If you aint got it, you can try to ride around it, but you really need to feel that trust in the package to really chip away those seconds.
Also, I'm amazed at how much tire pressure as little as 2psi can affect the bike.
I don't know if it was 4+ yo fork oil or the weight loss on the bike, or both. But the tires are seemingly so affected by the smallest change. Last year with the pirelli supercorsa's I would set it once, check it after lunch and it would feel the same. With these metzler racetecs and the new lighter hardware. The thing just feels so sensitive.
So from now on, I'm running warmers all day and paying special attention to the pressure.

A wonderful weekend, and my forn still feels good. I'm gonna fiddle with the suspension this weekend, try to get that old feeling back. We tuned that on the street and I never touched it back then, so we'll see if we can repeat that.

Pics when I get home. Also links to videos of my slow azz.
Trackdays are like nothing else. If you've never done one, you're wasting your life. True story.

Quote:
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

T5

T6

T7

T10B

T10A

T12

Not sure, T6 or T12

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

And my fav pic...

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

short compilation of me. This guy was running about 2 seconds faster than i on a 636 and passed me several times.

cool dude.
http://www.ncsportbikes.com/meanstrk/snikwad.wmv

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Glad you had a good time. I am jealous.
Look forward to hearing about it over a beer.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #8 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

haha, when's the bbq at your house?

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

gotta wait till it is finished... Then we will raid Simspon's backyard!
It is better for it.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #10 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

just lemme knwo man.... Ir aand i are gonna try to tune the suspension this weekend.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great pictures Ron and you were always in the lead

post #12 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Thanks.
Yeah those guys make us look slow people look fast in the still shots, the vidoe tells the real storry... all those guys behind me were gone by the time i started exiting the corner...

i was seriously having no confidence in my bike.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Dude !!! That was you ? I was pitted alomst directly across from you ! I was under the big red Aprilia tent with a primer GSX-R , a R1 , a blown up ZX6RR and an Aprilia RSV with a big red lions head on it - Glad you liked I havent been on Road A in like 12 years so the new 10a/b - 12 stuff was totally new. You used to go under the bridge at alomst WFO then hammer the brakes to get it to tunr in for the old 12 .And I agree , that bump in 12 did suck !

post #14 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Good Deal Ron...I'll have to check out the pics and video when I get home...All blocked hear at work. Glad you had fun and came away unscaved

I'm gonna goto VIR in the future. Just can't say when. Maybe next year

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #15 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Good Deal Ron...I'll have to check out the pics and video when I get home...All blocked hear at work. Glad you had fun and came away unscaved

dude, stop BSin, do that crap asap.
the FZ1 would love it.

Quote:
Dude !!! That was you ? I was pitted alomst directly across from you ! I was under the big red Aprilia tent with a primer GSX-R , a R1 , a blown up ZX6RR and an Aprilia RSV with a big red lions head on it - Glad you liked I havent been on Road A in like 12 years so the new 10a/b - 12 stuff was totally new. You used to go under the bridge at alomst WFO then hammer the brakes to get it to tunr in for the old 12 .And I agree , that bump in 12 did suck !
no way, stop playing, i remember that Ape, it looks dope.
youd have to be more specific on the gixxer and R1, show me a pic.

Yeha i heard the old setup was way fast, but i remember thinking that wall is aweful close, then when dude bumped his head in it last year, and they changed t i was quite pleased. I still dont like the wall right beside T3 in the nesba setup. and T1 really doesnt have any run off. but i thankfully i didnt find out the hard way and realized only after watching vids. except T3, i noticed how close the wall was after i caught that 2 wheel drift going into the Left hand downhill at T3 on sunday.

wow, small world isnt it. sweeet

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
+1 - You can always check out the Nesba intro deal, 2 session for free at any NEsba day, as long as you sign up in advance -

Yep - trackdays and racing are small worlds - it amazes me who I meet at trackdays and race !
You gonna do on Nesba days @ VIR ? Im really toying with the idea of doing the skills day, just to futher gel w/the Ape - plus the idea of a green track all day sounds really, really friggin sweet !

post #17 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

not doing the SED, but heading there for the 4th July weekend. we're trying to see if we can afford to squeeze in another day before then, its getting tight these days, but we're fiending like mad.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

here is my buddy Ira...
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...4&g=03HV00J41V

B 021 PRIMER, and B 671 is Charles.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Cool -
This is the Mrs on her GSX-R B831 white -
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thum...4&g=03HV00J41V
Im just right next to hers B 832 with my first trackday of the year horrible positiong and bad for m, sigh .
I hear ya about the cash flow , sucks all around !

post #20 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

was it her 1st TD too? she looks good but tense.
Thats awesome. You husband and wife, or bf and gf track junkie teams.
i can only dream of having a girl thats into bikes the way i am, and does trackdays.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

oh yeah dude, you were booking on that Ape, i think i got a short clip of you exiting T1.
At one point i thought they were assessing you for the bump, cause you, like my buddy Ira had CRs all over you lap after lap.
Did they bump anyone from B group that weekend?

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

it sounded very naaaiiiice

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Thanks !I was diggin its noises over earplugs !

The mighty Ape was my brother's race bike last year( he got beat coming out of 12 last year @ the GNF's by some dud on a 1098 - it was a sheer HP thing, so he upgraded to a 1198s for this year. Lucky for me ! ), so, it was sprung for his skinny a$$ - Shreaded 2 rears that weekend ! I wasnt really looking for a bump, Im still figuring the bike out, plus, battling the spinning rear and pushing front was alot of work. Im picking her up this weekend with correct springs, so, I expect it to be alot better now - I just dont wanna wait for another few weeks before doing another day !

As for the Mrs, this is her first for the year also, but, its her first since crashing. She wadded her bike up @ VIR on the south course last year . She wasnt riding like she normally does, so, Im hoping she will be back up to speed on the next day we do -

post #24 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

yeah regaining confidence takes time.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Checked all the pics and video when I got home...Awesome

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #26 of 26 Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

nice! I am headed there on the 23rd with NESBA

+ $5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode