Supposed to go to BeaveRun this Sun. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Supposed to go to BeaveRun this Sun.

It'll be my 2nd trackday, my 1st on the R6.
Anybody been there? Weather shows rain for Sat, partly sunny Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM
TrackXperience Pusher!

have fun and be safe!

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Rock out man, The R6 has got to be fun. Let me know how you make out when your done.. Can't wait for the next track day.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

yeah been there

north is a fast little 1.2-1.3 mi course as i remember

i pitted near n. course track exit and we had electricity via long extension cords from over by the porta-pots

the local town has nothing but ya gotta stay at the beaver inn just once

i left the track in the am looking for air to fill a tank and it took forever to find a place

10-15?mi away there are all kinds of motels/places to eat

the scariest part of that track is gettin on, tiny little pit out road (or it was)

turn 1 after a hard run at the straight will have your knee down at speed, cutting back to the right and around the back is slow but can be run faster than you think.

coming up over the hill in the back, remember to keep your weight back on your bike, getting lazy will spank you as you pickup speed and really come down hard on the other side (tank slappers) then it's all out down the hill hand to the left and down to carousel which can take waay more speed than you think.

novice lap times can run anywhere from 1:20 to 1:45 depending on traffic
int sub 1:10's to 1:20's
race speed 1:02's but also rans often do 1:08-1:12's
track record :56 or somethin

wish i was goin'
soon

post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Ain't gonna worry about it for Sunday (or a while after probably) but for future reference if they aren't timing you, is there some lapcounter guys put on their bikes?
The zx636 gauge on my project bike has a builtin lap timer but I don't think this r6 does.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

ignore lap times, it was just to give you an idea

ride smooth, follow an instructor and just follow the line

3rd gear thing is cool

meet w/ a coach b4 after every session, any coach and pick specific stuff to work each time out. the coach will drop in on you and keep a general eye out. a 1-3min chat at the end of pit out w/ the instructor for a quick general impression of the session and back to the pit.

i can't stress that enough. make an effort to talk to a couple coaches, let them watch you one session and then it's like instant personal coaching from 1, 2 or maybe even 3 people. best thing besides payin the big bucks for 1-1 sessions and invaluable.

/end soapbox

damn i want to be at the track right freakin now...damn

post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

the entire day was perfect. you were mostly right about everything. I just got home, I'm exhausted. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow, er , I mean later and bore you with some details.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Johnboy Jlux asked about my trackday last Sun. I thought I'd stick the response in here so I could bore more than just 1 person!

Saturday did not go as planned thanks to work. I was unable to get ready & leave when I wanted, did not hit the road until 10pm! After such a long day, I quickly got tired then pissed off, pulled off the road for safety. Considered giving up & going home but decided to take a nap & see how I felt. I woke up 2 hrs later or so fully recharged, got back on the road, & drive the rest of the way no problems. (about 350 mi total) I was just a little late, missed tech & subsequently the 1st session but the weather was looking very nice & I didn't sweat it just being happy to get there.
Many of the turns on that track are blind, you cant see them until you're on them, so it took me several laps to get it down but after that it was great. More fun imo than Patriot with longer straights & more places to pass.
The r6 is unbelievable. They say it has 127hp at the crank, 112-114 at the wheel. Doesn't feel like much down low but wakes up angrily at around 12k rpm then screams like a mofo. Light as heck too. Later in the day when I was pretty comfortable with it I was able to sneak by some heavier bikes at the turn by braking later. Obviously positioned much more aggressively then the 919 I did my 1st trackday on, my out of shape joints were sore the next day
from the crouching and all the moving around.
The last session of the day was the best. I was behind a control rider with two other guys of my skillset and the pace he led was the most fun I'd had yet. I feel like I'm progressing slowly but surely.
A few people spilled throughout the day but no one appeared to be seriously injured. Great day!

post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

hansome devil, ain't I?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode