Sportbike/Racebike conversation - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Sportbike/Racebike conversation

Hello everyone. Its been a while since I've been on. I got into an interesting conversation about sportbikes today. Long story short I made a comment about modern sportbike performance and technology being a direct result of racing, for example the MotoGP. I know the R1 crossplane crankshaft was first used on their M1 GP bike. I'm trying to recall other technology specifics, but am having to research. So I thought I would spark a conversation here while I also research.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,364
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Everything on a current sportbike is a result of trickle down technology advancement from Racing efforts

Aerodynamic Fairings, Radial Tires, Radial Mounted Brakes, Ram-Air, Fuel Injection, Upper Showerhead Injectors, Traction Control, Fly-by-Wire Throttles, Electronic Controlled Suspension, mass centralization, weight saving alloys etc... Everything was designed initially for use in racing and made its way to streetbikes in many cases just for homologation purposes.

LDH is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks for the starter list LDH. I know the list is a long one indeed. I'm going to have a fun weekend of research ahead of me. I'm actually looking forward to this.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Everything on a current sportbike is a result of trickle down technology advancement from Racing efforts

Aerodynamic Fairings, Radial Tires, Radial Mounted Brakes, Ram-Air, Fuel Injection, Upper Showerhead Injectors, Traction Control, Fly-by-Wire Throttles, Electronic Controlled Suspension, mass centralization, weight saving alloys etc... Everything was designed initially for use in racing and made its way to streetbikes in many cases just for homologation purposes.
Actually ram air was invented here on Wristtwisters and trickled up to MotoGP. I also understand that Rossi and Marquez were observed waffle stomping after a race last year as well.


marylandmike is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,364
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I love this forum

LDH is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Left of Centre
 
K1w1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 3,507
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Actually ram air was invented here on Wristtwisters and trickled up to MotoGP.
Won't be long before we see them widening their swingarms and running darkside F1 slicks, then, to really give them some drive off those pesky corners......Say, speaking of the Dark Side, where's Steve got to these days?.....Anyone seen Steve? ...

K1w1Boy is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Won't be long before we see them widening their swingarms and running darkside F1 slicks, then, to really give them some drive off those pesky corners......Say, speaking of the Dark Side, where's Steve got to these days?.....Anyone seen Steve? ...
Exactly

More evidence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MotoGP Tire Scrub.jpg (185.2 KB, 71 views)

marylandmike is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Exactly

More evidence
That's gotta be an old picture. No one uses bricks anymore. Everyone knows that sand is superior by far!

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,768
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post

That's gotta be an old picture. No one uses bricks anymore. Everyone knows that sand is superior by far!
Applied via hand with the tire under power.

Pvster is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Applied via hand with the tire under power.
Well yeah! That's just a given. Like cleaning your chain while in first gear on the center stand. It's just easier.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Hahahaha

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM
just send it.
 
crakerjac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,600
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
That's gotta be an old picture. No one uses bricks anymore. Everyone knows that sand is superior by far!
Sand huh? I cringe whenever I read a reference to that on this forum after what happened to old whats-his-face.



[This space for rent]
crakerjac is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 02-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,614
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Sand huh? I cringe whenever I read a reference to that on this forum after what happened to old whats-his-face.
I think his face is fine, but his foot, on the other hand... er... foot....



2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I wonder what ever happened to him. He use to check in once in a while. At least the sand wasn't the cause of his accident. His idea of using sand on his tire is still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen here.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 02-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,614
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I wonder what ever happened to him. He use to check in once in a while. At least the sand wasn't the cause of his accident. His idea of using sand on his tire is still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen here.
Yeah, unfortunately just a poor choice of gear (or lack thereof). Many on here decided right then and there to get proper boots (myself included). And kudos to him for at least being open about it here on the forum.

I hope he's doing ok. And no offense intended in my post above, if the roles were reversed, I'd have had a good laugh at that one ...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM
PB
 
DSB_ESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 217
Rep Power: 1
 
I was curious about the whole sand story so I went back and found the thread. For any newbies like me who are interested:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...res-26632.html

The very idea that rubbing sand on your tires could ever be construed as a good thing is just staggering. It's one thing to be unaware about something and to learn from a mistake, but it's wholly irresponsible to even suggest doing that to your bike tire.

It would be cool to have a "nostalgia" section on the forum where we could chronicle these incredible inside jokes / never ever ever do this type things. Maybe you more senior members have some posts that are good reads? I seem to remember something coming up every time a Corbin is posted...

DSB_ESQ is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
I was curious about the whole sand story so I went back and found the thread. For any newbies like me who are interested:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...res-26632.html

The very idea that rubbing sand on your tires could ever be construed as a good thing is just staggering. It's one thing to be unaware about something and to learn from a mistake, but it's wholly irresponsible to even suggest doing that to your bike tire.

It would be cool to have a "nostalgia" section on the forum where we could chronicle these incredible inside jokes / never ever ever do this type things. Maybe you more senior members have some posts that are good reads? I seem to remember something coming up every time a Corbin is posted...
It wasn't just the idea of the sand but the attitude he had afterwards too. There are just so many different funny things that come up over the years, they're tough to keep track of. Waffle stomping, Corbin's, ram air, suspensions, almost any post by Steve, sales that have gone bad. Most recent might be cutting your enricher cable so your bike starts easier. I remember one guy saying he'd feel his tires warmth after riding as a way of telling the air pressure is equal.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 09:57 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,364
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
It wasn't just the idea of the sand but the attitude he had afterwards too. There are just so many different funny things that come up over the years, they're tough to keep track of. Waffle stomping, Corbin's, ram air, suspensions, almost any post by Steve, sales that have gone bad. Most recent might be cutting your enricher cable so your bike starts easier. I remember one guy saying he'd feel his tires warmth after riding as a way of telling the air pressure is equal.

I can put my nuts on your gas tank and rev the bike a few times and tell you which valves are out of spec.

LDH is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

That's an incredible skill! I'd like to learn it too. Do you have to be free balling to do it?

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,364
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

There is no other way

LDH is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,364
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I brought that thread back to life so everyone can enjoy it

LDH is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Tesserarius
 
Nickr919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Corona
Posts: 734
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I can put my nuts on your gas tank and rev the bike a few times and tell you which valves are out of spec.
A write up would be nice, im about due for a vale check. Include pictures if you can

Nickr919 is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,614
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
A write up would be nice, im about due for a vale check. Include pictures if you can
Lol, yeah, you'd need a magnifying glass or two to see 'em

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 AM
just send it.
 
crakerjac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,600
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
I think we may have just found the plot for Motorcycle.com's first adult film... "Valve Check"

Maybe Pvster and g00gl3it can direct it...



Unfortunately, the theme may not be conducive to having any females in the cast...



[This space for rent]
crakerjac is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 AM
PB
 
DSB_ESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 217
Rep Power: 1
 
Heh, "Beaverton"

DSB_ESQ is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,614
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
Heh, "Beaverton"
I'm still rockin' that plate frame on the bike!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Tesserarius
 
Nickr919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Corona
Posts: 734
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Unfortunately, the theme may not be conducive to having any females in the cast...
If PV and Googleit are directing it this is guaranteed.

They're forward thinkers. They would fit the job

Nickr919 is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 AM
Cornicen
 
gibbonater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
I was curious about the whole sand story so I went back and found the thread. For any newbies like me who are interested:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...res-26632.html

The very idea that rubbing sand on your tires could ever be construed as a good thing is just staggering. It's one thing to be unaware about something and to learn from a mistake, but it's wholly irresponsible to even suggest doing that to your bike tire.

It would be cool to have a "nostalgia" section on the forum where we could chronicle these incredible inside jokes / never ever ever do this type things. Maybe you more senior members have some posts that are good reads? I seem to remember something coming up every time a Corbin is posted...
Thanks for digging that out. Plenty of laughs in there.

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
gibbonater is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
 
darkace625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,651
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I forgot how awesome the derails are here. Haha. I have a lot of catching up to do.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
darkace625 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome