Someone found the tire wall........ - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Someone found the tire wall........

It wasn't me, but rumor has it a member here found the tire wall on the outside of T11 at VIR S.

For those of you that do not know, this corner combo with T12 is why the AMA will not race the Full course at VIR.

Track Map

Waiting for the full story!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Note the road right in the picture. This is the only Corner at VIR with no run off what so ever

Spoiler:
post #3 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Looks like that could be trouble! I hope said person is okay!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #4 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Enormous member

Ouch.

That being said, the 11/12 combo is one of my favorite turns of all time. If you look closely at the pic in my avatar, you can just see the edge of the oak tree inside turn 12.

post #5 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

It wasn't Kike.

yikes. I assume whoever is OK?

post #6 of 20 Old 03-28-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Ouch.

That being said, the 11/12 combo is one of my favorite turns of all time. If you look closely at the pic in my avatar, you can just see the edge of the oak tree inside turn 12.
I've chilled on that side road and watched guys have a trackday there. Pretty good spectator spot.

post #7 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

That idiot would be me. Happened on Sunday, last session of the day, last lap. And I know, I know, you don't go hard on the first session, the session after lunch and the last session. I've been riding long enough to know better.

First off, it was my fault. I was tired, losing my concentration and I target fixated. All me, no tires, other riders, suspension or any other excuses!

At the end of the day, everyone was clearing out and a control rider and I had OPEN track... so you can see where this is headed. We play for almost the whole session and about 3 laps from the end, he drops off and I have open track all to myself. I come over T10 pretty good where the front gets all light and I'm laughing to myself thinking, “I think I actually like this course.”

Then onto T11… I really didn't do as much breaking as I'd been doing previously through out the day and with all that open track, I just - sort of – “let it go in there..?”

Brain said too fast, bike was running wide and instead of looking through T12, I peaked at the tires (You Flocking Idiot). On the grass and the rear brake isn't cutting it so it was either grab the front brakes or ride it into the wall. Front tucked and I remember standing up, seeing the bike and getting out of the way. Bike rolled on both sides but took only minor damage (rearset and windscreen). I took the full blow of being completely upright to then to completely down (head, neck and shoulder). Red flagged and rode the "shame truck" back to the paddocks.

The control rider I was playing with came over and we were talking back and forth and the adrenaline was still going… so Greg and I put her back together really quick and moved over to the North Course (thanks again Greg). Pain didn’t really set it until the car ride back to the hotel for the evening. Didn’t see stars… but had the whole dizzy, nauseas spells but not bad enough to think too much about it.

I got "ground pounded" pretty damn good. Today, 3 days later, my brain is still warm where I wacked my head, but not nearly as bad as on Monday morning! I pretty much chewed though aleeve like vitamins and kept the redbull flowing. It's getting better. The front straight on North is pretty noisy without a windscreen…LOL.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 07:56 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Dude... glad your OK...

Take care.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #9 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

glad to hear you're ok man.

post #10 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

That sucks, but you're ok and that's what counts. What would you estimate your speed was, entering the Oak Tree is usually not that fast.

post #11 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Glad you're ok!

post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 
Total Awards: 1

Glad you are ok Dayrock.....

post #13 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Thanks guys!

No idea of how fast I was going cause I was looking at the tires...lol!

post #14 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 03:55 PM

I have a whole new respect for you now. For once someone was honest from the beginning and took responsiblity. Instead of blaming it on the tires weren't warm, debris on the track, the sun was in my eyes...Good to hear you made it back out.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Believe it or not that is the way Dayrock is.

His first track weekend, he had a blast on the first day and was way too hard on himself the second day of the event when he did not think he was progressing enough.

Every incident he comes in with an understanding of what he did or did not do correct. It make me very corfortable knowing he has that level a head on the track when i ride with him.

However, put Gbord on the track with him and suddenly he finds a whole new world of Stupid! :1eye:

Spoiler:
post #16 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 04:28 PM

I'll remember that for the next track event.

post #17 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey I was honest about what happened to me.

I got passed by a guy on a fat pig of a bike. I set up for the next corner, and the next thing I remember I'm in the ambulance. I don't really know what happened.

I just blamed the other guy for hitting me.

Glad to here you faired much better then I.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Was your visor up or down when you stood up?

Quote:
For once someone was honest from the beginning and took responsiblity. Instead of blaming it on the tires weren't warm, debris on the track, the sun was in my eyes...
If you dont figure out what happened, how can you learn? Good on him!

I remember my first and last off course excursion, but it happened so fast I really couldnt tell you physically what happened. I know I wasnt looking where I was supposed to... thats what got me into trouble... but how or what happened to make me actually hit the dirt... I will never know... Good idea it was a high side since I flew like a bird... but video of it would be worth purchasing if available.

Any pics of the wreck.... I like seeing those...

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #19 of 20 Old 03-30-2006, 06:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

wasn't blue pixie dust was it?

post #20 of 20 Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clos79
Hey I was honest about what happened to me.

I got passed by a guy on a fat pig of a bike. I set up for the next corner, and the next thing I remember I'm in the ambulance. I don't really know what happened.

I just blamed the other guy for hitting me.

Glad to here you faired much better then I.
I ran into another buddy of mine at Barney's and he told me someone did the same thing to him coming out of T2. He said the guy passed him on the outside and clipped his handlebars. Luckily he had no major damage to him or the bike. But people need to stop treating a track day like a race and show a little more patience when trying to pass other riders. Accidents will happen but most can be avoided by riding with a little more care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode