Queensland raceway Australia - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool Queensland raceway Australia

so I took the 919/hornet to a QR track day yestoday. Had a blast, was almost blown of the bike at 210k/h(new speed reached for me on the 919). found that the bike was more than able to handle the track, I was braking way later than alot of the sports bikes. but I had to fight it all the time. fight to go faster with the wind pressure, fight to slow down because faster bike would get infront and then start braking early(very frustrating), then fight to keep the front down out of the corner. So the out come was , Get a track bike and keep the 919 for the hills which it is most enjoyable at.
http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/16/87/89/21/dsc00211.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Looks like a great day and you had some fun. What bike you wanna get for the track?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

was thinking of a VFR400, but a guy on the day said hyosung where giving gr8 deals on their 650 if you race them. like 5k for the bike (half price!) then 1k for glass, 1k for stands and warmers, then you can go racing on a new bike....

So I'm going to look into this and see if its worth while...

post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehx View Post
so I took the 919/hornet to a QR track day yestoday. Had a blast, was almost blown of the bike at 210k/h(new speed reached for me on the 919). found that the bike was more than able to handle the track, I was braking way later than alot of the sports bikes. but I had to fight it all the time. fight to go faster with the wind pressure, fight to slow down because faster bike would get infront and then start braking early(very frustrating), then fight to keep the front down out of the corner. So the out come was , Get a track bike and keep the 919 for the hills which it is most enjoyable at.
http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/16/87/89/21/dsc00211.jpg
If you are lifting the front that much, my guess is that you have a late model bike with the super light rear spring and the rear end is squatting like crazy.
Do yourself a favour. Put a zip tie on the rear shock shaft. Go out on the road and take it easy in 1st gear. Find a nice place to get it in 2nd and full throttle it from 7000 RPM and take it to the top. Then look to see where your zip tie is. And if by chance it appears to be gone, look to see if it has been jammed inside the rubber snubber. Use a very small zip tie. Be careful with the tools so as not to nick the shaft.
Are you using stock or aftermarket low bars like Renthal ULs or similar ?
I find getting off the seat, on the pegs and up forward on the tank helps. There was one transition in particular I had to do that all the time, otherwise the front tire would skate out due to inadequate front end weight.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

yeah its a 06 and yes I do have low mounted renthal bars (only person on the track with mx bars lol). A mate came up after a run and was telling me to adjust the rear suspension because it was squattion, so I had a look for the first time and no adjustment available, just preload for the spring....

post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehx View Post
yeah its a 06 and yes I do have low mounted renthal bars (only person on the track with mx bars lol). A mate came up after a run and was telling me to adjust the rear suspension because it was squattion, so I had a look for the first time and no adjustment available, just preload for the spring....
That rear spring is around 865 # / inch, the pre 2004s having been around 1200.
I put on a Penske (3 way). It came with 1000/inch. Too soft. I went to 1100, still too soft. I'm now running 1200. In addition, I'm now running a digressive compression piston face and run the low speed adjuster 4 clicks out from fully closed. The 919 is a very torquey machine, it's geared short due to its lower top speed, so that aggravates things more, and the swing arm angle is too flat. The swing arm not being linked just makes things worse. You' be amazed at how much improvement can be found. Run the bike tall front and back, spring it right and work on low speed compression damping. Preloading the spring just makes the bike rock hard towards extension while leaving you with mush once the suspension does down on the stroke. You'd be better off with an early shock, or at least the spring from one.
The 919 is a riot on the track, I've logged over 1300 miles of track time on mine. Done a fair bit of suspension development along the way. There's only so much that can be done, but big improvements over stock are an easy do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode