Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

NJMP TPM July 25 26 27

New Jersey Motorsports Park w/ TPM
July 25/26/27

Day 1
Shakedown

Up til 1am the night b4 cause I procrastinate like that...
Up at 5am to work on the trailer cause, well, see above.

Missed Tech
Missed Riders Mtg

an old riding buddy is now coaching w/ tpm and offers to tech me in...2 hrs later the bike is running (yes it ran fine 2 days b4 but I HAD to mess w/ something arrggghh)

The day turned out great, got out a bunch of times and ran into a few folks, though many local folks were MIA. Did catch up w/ a pair of WTrs though.

It was hot and the track is fasssst.

Today was the shakedown cruise, tomorrow...work on gettin some smoooothness back in my mojo. throttle management was weak today, as was most everything else but improving towards the end of the day and after the "incident" (yeah, there's always one...).

The Lightning course itself is pretty fun, you can blast the straight and carry amazing speed into turn 1. You can get your azz kicked in a tight little section if u come off line and the carousel goes on foooooorrrrrreeeeevvvveeerrrr.

more later, time to sleep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Great write up RD!!!

Have fun !! I'm looking forward to reading more about your time at the track this weekend!

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #3 of 24 Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Day 2

Sunburnt
Tired as hell
Fitness level sucks...what the heck was i thinking...3 days in a row.
On the upside, it kicked off my 'new man' program as my brother calls it...

1st session of the morning and 1st session of the afternoon are always a little sketchy for me and that's still the case.

Big thing today was workin the K.Code, 3rd gear thing. Needed to really focus on my line because i figured out how to carry speed into the first couple turns but the kink on the backside was kicking my behind.

Was tough to stay disciplined w/ everyone passing me at first but I stayed cool while i was getting buzzed on the inside, actually rubbed by someone as they tried to pass on the inside and ran wide into me.

Working my line let me see how lots of other folks weren't workin the line and i watched no fewer than 4 folks run off the track in front of me in a single session.

Best new is/was, 3rd session something "clicked" and I hit the kink w/ a little speed and everything was falling right into place. Stayed disciplined and didn't throttle up on the straights.

2 kinds of riders passed me while working this drill, those that i caught in the next corner as they slammed on the brakes and those that walked off into the distance.

In the intermediate group of approx 35 riders, there's about 10 i can trust to ride cool, the others...well i need a serious safety margin so i can drive around them in the corners when the time comes.

I'm really feeling the effects of the heat after a couple days (being fat will do that to ya) and as soon as i'm not 'feelin it', I bail for the day knowing that i'll be back tomorrow and every other day someone is runnin at NJMP. Not in a hurry.

First sign i'm losing my focus; i caught myself staring at various entry or exit cones instead of picking them up in peripheral vision...as soon as I "noticed" or "realized" i was looking at a cone or whatever I immediately moved my eyes down track where they belong but i took it as a warning sign.

oh yeah and my ezup blew away and busted up...dragged my airtank and pitbull with it before my pit neighbors grabbed everything. picked up the new ezup tonight...bigger, more shade.

also had a chance to catch up w/ a few more friends as everyone came out of the woodwork for the weekend and you'll never guess who put the leathers back on...

more later...

oh yeah, laptimes, i glanced at them a minute ago for the first time today...interesting but not what i'm about for the moment. i know i can do sub 1:25's w/ a crappy line and bad form, will be fun to look again after running some smooth laps and actually shifting a couple times.

oh yeah, picked up a set of Diablo Corsa 3's for general track + wet use. (possible weather tomorrow) but have only good things to say about the supercorsa pros i was running, they've been good to me.

there's more but i'm beat, time to crash...

post #4 of 24 Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like your having a great time. Hope all goes well Sunday too.

I'm Jealous, I've heard that Jersey is pretty nice. Did you duck going under the bridge??

post #5 of 24 Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 AM
TrackXperience Pusher!

One more day RD! have fun, keep riding safe, it's not a race, Finish the day and know you had a great day at the track! I'm digging the write up!

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #6 of 24 Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Day 3

Had great hopes for the day.
Arrived at the track feeling good, better than yesterday.

Went out first session and felt good.

2nd session I was met on the grid by TPM's newest safety rider and planned to just 'take it easy' this session.

First lap uneventful.
2nd lap, turn 7, got on the gas and the rear tire went away and I lowsided on the slowest turn on the track. (a blessing in disguise as it turns out)

Crashed tested the Veloce suit (ok, the word is out, i've got it), the suit did it's job. Bike was sliding off the track when the front wheel caught something and she flipped (as told by the coach riding behind me). Front end is pushed in...not sure how bad the damage is beyond a set of forks.

Post crash action;
Was able to talk to 3 people behind me to hear their version of events and tie it all into my own recollection.

Bottom line, tech had warned me my tires were shredded and to keep an eye on them. I bought a new set of skins at the track but had not yet mounted them. I did NOT give the tires enough time to warm up before wicking it up and I paid the real price.

Quotes from the coaches; "you'll fix it and be back next week" and "d!ckweed".

I'm mad as hell at myself for squandering a great day and hated to trash other people's session while the crash truck went out on the track. I was able to get the bike up and ride it back to the pits but it probably cut the group's time in half on that session and I feel bad about that but I can only call myself lucky that it happened in the slow turn and not on one of the higher speed turns. Would my tires have lasted all day if I had let them warm up? Would I have spun it up anyway in another turn later in the day? Who knows but anytime you walk away and can post up after a getoff, well, it's a good day in the scheme of things.

STT always does 2 warm up laps w/ a pace rider b4 each session and w/ the wise council of a friend, I'll be doin the same from now on cause I need the grip...no matter the tire condition.

15 seconds from talkin sh!t...
panhandling for gas money to CMP
the Project
H87 No Guts No Glory
post #7 of 24 Old 07-27-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

ok, i'm a little bummed out that I've scewed up the bike, the shoulder is torqued, my golf game is hosed for the next month and I may miss the next day at NJMP.

I know the whole thing was my fault by trying to get an 'extra day' out of my tires and getting after it a little too soon in the session but I think short of typing "I will warm up my tires each session" a couple hundred times, some well intentioned ballbreaking might be the only thing to cheer me up a little right now. Truly it sucks boning up such a sweet opportunity on a new track...did I mention it happened just before the first official race at NJMP? damn damn damn....

ok, let the games begin...fuggers..

post #8 of 24 Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Here we see our beloved Ratdog (or is that Billy Gibbons of zz Top?) fueling his handsome machine getting ready for another fine day at NJMP Lightning.

What's that? He's back to pits early? Hmmm - something seems different about the bike but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Spoiler:
Wait! I know! It used to have a windshield, didn't it?

Hope you're feeling better soon dude.

post #9 of 24 Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

That'll buff right out! I'm not all that witty right now ... will be back for more.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #10 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

oh wow... I really want to get the 600rr down there!
Dave, don't ya think it's time to stretch the RC out!!!

post #11 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

There were at least a few rc's there. Bring it.

post #12 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
oh wow... I really want to get the 600rr down there!
Dave, don't ya think it's time to stretch the RC out!!!
I've got time now ... let's od it. You know once I'm back to my "normal" schedule ... I'll never have a moment!

post #13 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
2nd session I was met on the grid by TPM's newest safety rider and planned to just 'take it easy' this session.

Was able to talk to 3 people behind me to hear their version of events and tie it all into my own recollection.

Quotes from the coaches; "you'll fix it and be back next week" and "d!ckweed".
The exact quote from Ratdog was "I'm just cruisin'"......."Cool!", I said adding "I'll just fall in behind for a few laps and see whatya got goin'"

He then proceeded to take off like a bat outta hell with a bunch of other Red group Retards and, well, you know the rest of the story. But, I might add, with no f*cking warm up lap!

BTW it was me who said you were a dickweed. CBRBob said you are a double-dickweed

post #14 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

BTW I would like to add (to all my fans) that this past weekend marked my return to the racetrack after a four year hiatus, 10 months on crutches and one poorly conceived surgery.

It was a big step for me but I took it and I'm glad I did. The track is exhilarating and I'm glad to say I still got it.

I might also add, that I was BORN TO RIDE!

post #15 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
BTW I would like to add (to all my fans) that this past weekend marked my return to the racetrack after a four year hiatus, 10 months on crutches and one poorly conceived surgery.

It was a big step for me but I took it and I'm glad I did. The track is exhilarating and I'm glad to say I still got it.

I might also add, that I was BORN TO RIDE!
Awesome and excellent! It's nice to back ... isn't it?! I like the term "dickweed".

post #16 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
He then proceeded to take off like a bat outta hell with a bunch of other Red group Retards and, well, you know the rest of the story. But, I might add, with no f*cking warm up lap!
i was working the solar tire warmer theory....figured the sun brought them up close to temp and i was good to go

not

Quote:
BTW it was me who said you were a dickweed.
and yeah, ya jamacian cheesed!ck, i know it was u who said it...right in front of my pops.

today i get phone calls from my brother, 2 sisters and mom all asking if i filed my DNR and if my Will is taken care of...based on my lack of prudent judgement, they figure my paperwork needs to be in order pronto.

Quote:
CBRBob said you are a double-dickweed
yeah, i talked to bob afterword, thanked him for checking on me..." i wasn't checking on you, i had to stand it up not to hit you, then i checked on you" as he slaps me in my bad shoulder w/ my arm hangin limp. i tried not to wince as tears started droppin out of the corner of my eye.

post #17 of 24 Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

and i know i was red-retarded but for whatever reason, i felt good that morning and i don't even start grooving it till lap 5,6,7...i was just gettin started.

such a colossal F up, such a waste...i just had to cancel for monday cause my arm won't handle it. i'm pissed enough at myself for bein a jackass.

worse, the new skins were in the truck and if i had mounted them that AM i would have for SURE been goin slower cause i'm a puss on new tires.

damn i love that track...arrrgghhhh, can't believe it'll be more than a month b4 i get back.

you know what's messed up, even when it was happening, i thought i had it under control until i heard that plastic scraping sound and felt my arm on the ground...even then i thought i could save it, til well, the bike was gone.

i still gotta talk to ralph, i know he'll be pissed i F'd up especially after being warned about my speed on friday.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I'm going to miss you There Monday. Maybe I'll see you there on the 25th.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
post #19 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

It appears you have a history of riding on worn tires.

Heal up quickly ratdog.

post #20 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Sorry to hear about it and thanks for the reminder to warm up for a couple of laps.

Get it fixed and get back out there.

post #21 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
... you know what's messed up, even when it was happening, i thought i had it under control until i heard that plastic scraping sound and felt my arm on the ground...even then i thought i could save it, til well, the bike was gone ...
I like that ... you were committed and willing yourself through! NICE! It's funny how the "OH SHIET" moments go away with low-sides.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
It appears you have a history of riding on worn tires.
ouch !!

Quote:
Heal up quickly ratdog.
heal up, Aye

post #23 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

TPM ran the inaugural race at NJMP that day.

First place had lap times in the 1:08's w/ the top finishers in the 1:09's-1:11's.

post #24 of 24 Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Sorry to hear of your get off RD...

It happens to everyone, Just learn from it, Heal up quickly, fix that bike up and get back on the track!!!

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode