MotorSport Ranch Trackday Followup - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

MotorSport Ranch Trackday Followup

Initial feedback from MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX on my new trackbike. This was the first time at this track and first time on the new bike.

While there are parts of Cresson I really like, I never could get a good rhythym in the rattlesnake. Had several instructors throughout the day tell me my lines were great, but still did not "feel" very comfortable in that area. The rest of the track was nice. Couple of issues with uneven pavement around buzzard neck that took a few laps to learn where to stay away from. I like Texas World Speedway much more than MSRC, as of right now. Might have had to do with the comfort factor with the bike though.

Level 1 was a clean session with no one going down.

As far as the bike, it was awesome! Never spent much time on a true sportbike with that riding position, which will take some getting used to. I used my upper body too much for support, as I could feel it in my arms. My legs are a little sore today, but my stomach and my arms are really sore. I spent the first couple sessions feeling the bike out and memorizing the lines and the rest of the sessions primarily trying to work on body position. Rode with level 1 except for the last session. They had level 2 on the track and only 2 level 1 riders wanting to go, so they let us out with level 2 to finish the day.

Things I need to learn/do:

1) Don't shift too early! I am accustomed to the Speed Triple, where it makes good power from 4K rpm up. I need to learn to let this engine spin up higher, as the powerband starts at 7-8K and goes up from there. That is getting close to redline on the S3 and I kept trying to grab a shift after hitting the powerband because of muscle memory and habit.

2) RELAX THE UPPERBODY! Like I said, I am supporting too much weight with the upper body. Tried to focus on using the lower body and core, and my legs are good, but my core is not in shape (OK, round is a shape, but not what I am talking about).

3) Reposition my levers/bars. Right now the brake lever is in line with the handlebars. I was told that dropping that to where your wrist is in a straight line will help with fatigue and help prevent weighting the bars as much. I was also told that pushing the bars forward some on the bike would help get your weight over the front more and give a better riding position. Bike was previously setup for a person that was smaller than I am so the bars may have been setup for her.

4) When tired, take a break. The session after lunch, I was a little tired and the burger was rumbling in my stomach. Went out for half the session and came in to rest. Don't overdo it. I could feel myself doing things I usually wouldn't do and was losing the line because my mind was thinking about "Did I bring any Rolaids?" If you don't feel right, don't go out.

Talked to many ther great people there and saw many firends and became a cooler dad in my son's eyes. When we left the track to head back to the hotel Saturday night he said "You have some really cool friends dad!" I don't know if that meant that he liked them more than he thought he would, or if he thought I was lame before meeting my friends.

Well, that is a quick first take on the day. Melissa took the kids to the Ft Worth Zoo Sunday while I was riding, so they had fun too....

Here is the trackmap:

And a couple shots from the day. Still need to decide which to purchase (Yes, I will be buying the pics)....

The bike is called SHAMU...notice the bottom of the bike....it is easier to see when the picture is bigger.

Couple more...

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Sike

Looks and sounds like a great day. How tall are you? If you are rather tall or your bike has tight quarter, things look good. If not, ask someone you know who know there stuff about positioning (because I don't want yet another discussion about what belongs where....).

post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

I am about 5'10 or so. Have a fairly short inseam (30") and a long torso. I did have the suspension setup for me before heading out there to get it ready for my weight. I guess I need to find someone who can setup the controls correctly to make sure they are close. I know it is all personal preference, but I would think there are good starting points for a basic setup.

Shawn

post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
I am about 5'10 or so. Have a fairly short inseam (30") and a long torso. I did have the suspension setup for me before heading out there to get it ready for my weight. I guess I need to find someone who can setup the controls correctly to make sure they are close. I know it is all personal preference, but I would think there are good starting points for a basic setup.
Part of that makes sense to me. Because your legs look fine and your butt is fairly far back, but your body is up a ways. But, what is it that you mean by "close" with regards to the controls?

post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

By close I meant close to the correct position. I am assuming that there is a "sweet spot" that can be setup for most riders and then once in the range it can be fine tuned to the riders preference and comfort level.

Shawn

post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Sike

Quote:
By close I meant close to the correct position. I am assuming that there is a "sweet spot" that can be setup for most riders and then once in the range it can be fine tuned to the riders preference and comfort level.
Are you talking about the levers going up or down, or in or out, or the clip-ons moving in some direction?

post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

It sounds like the clipons need to swing out some. Right now they are really close to the tank. At full lock left or right, my thumbs are almost pinched between the clipons and tank. The brake lever is parallel to the ground, which puts my wrists in kind of an upward position. The clutch is angled down some, so my wrist is straighter. I was told that your lower arms/wrist/hand should be a flat. I think they just need to swing towards the front of the bike a little, from what I understand. Does that sound right?

Shawn

post #8 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Sike

Quote:
It sounds like the clipons need to swing out some. Right now they are really close to the tank. At full lock left or right, my thumbs are almost pinched between the clipons and tank. The brake lever is parallel to the ground, which puts my wrists in kind of an upward position. The clutch is angled down some, so my wrist is straighter. I was told that your lower arms/wrist/hand should be a flat. I think they just need to swing towards the front of the bike a little, from what I understand. Does that sound right?
With the broken and fused neck (hence the need for superbike bars), I don't have much experience with adjusting clip-ons. It does sound, however, like yours are angle to the back too much (but don't use pinched thumbs as a guide, since that would = a wreck on the track). Instead, use the position of your wrists (are they relatively natural for your body, or are they forcing your arms to angle too much inward or outward). Then, position your controls from there, knowing that your forearms should be relatively parallel to the ground. In the end, for most people, you want to be able to push forward versus any downward motion.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Clip-on are easy to adjust. Lossen the pinch bolts and move them away from the tank a few millimeters. If their stock it may not be that easy. Also with aftermarket clip-on the tubes on the clamps can be moved in or out. I moved mine as far out as I could on my R6.
After riding my Tuono on the track I missed alot of that leverage from the handle bar. Work on body position you shouldn't be supporting your weight. Use your leverage points tank and rearsets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode