Mid-O Track Report - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Living the dream

Mid-O Track Report

OK...my 5th track day and it was a great time as always. Renting a garage is well worth the minimal fee there. Electricity and a cover plus a nice work table.

I picked up speed and felt more comfortable than ever. Increased lean angle (still shiny pucks but don't really care) and increased corner speed. I also got numerous compliments on body position and lines. That has been the norm since my first day.

I also became much smoother on downshifts which was a big goal. I have 2 questions for you track day regulars.

I still get value in the novice drills but not in the slow step by step sequence. I would like to start working on all those right away. Should I bump up to I? I don't want to be holding people up or be getting buzzed like crazy. I ran decent time IMO and no too many other guys faster than me in Novice.

My legs are always SUPER tired afterwards. My 1st track day my arms and wrists were sore and legs just a bit tired. I work out a lot and work my legs to be ready for the track. Is it possible I am know turning and weighting more with my legs and not enough with arms? My arms are not tired at all but legs are like I did a thousand kicks (have done so I know).

I know I have tons to learn and I want to learn at a safe pace. I know the ike and tires are more than capable I just need to get my brain and body there.

Appreciate the help. Pics to follow and you can critique away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

"slow step by step sequence" What does that mean?

"Should I bump up to I?" What does that mean?

"Is it possible I am know turning and weighting more with my legs and not enough with arms?" What does that mean?

I almost just asked you what bike you ride....

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Living the dream

I ride with Sportbiketracktime and you start of with various drills that build on each other. Including the first session of just learning the lines of the track.

Next session running in 1 gear and working on entry point. There is a session working on shifting and sessions with following the insructor. We turned our fastest laps with me or a buddy leading. Other guys slowed the group way down. I want to work on the whole set od drills all day not in steps.

Intermdiate is next step after Novice.

I know you are joking with 3rd question but for the sake of less track oriented people, am I being to literal in using my legs to help turn the bike and not using enough arms for steering input?

Just looking to learn and steadily become faster and smoother. Not aspirations to race and don't think I ever will. I really enjoy the challenge I have getting better each time out.

post #4 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

When in a corner, losen up on the bars and get into a good lean position. Pretend that your mirror is still on the bike and try to poke your head out to look around it. Your upper body should follow. Lean your butt off the seat some along with the upper body. You don't need to be standing off the bike in the corner, give your legs a rest some. If you are leaning off the bike correctly, you aren't standing off the seat but you aren't sitting on the seat like a lump either.

Interesting hypothetical side note: If you were at full lean in a corner and if you had a cruise control on the bike, you could let go of the bars and the bike would stay into the lean and go through the corner without you. In other words, don't hold on so tight, there is no reason for it and all you're doing it minutely upsetting the suspension.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR_Nate View Post
I ride with Sportbiketracktime and you start of with various drills that build on each other. Including the first session of just learning the lines of the track.

Next session running in 1 gear and working on entry point. There is a session working on shifting and sessions with following the insructor. We turned our fastest laps with me or a buddy leading. Other guys slowed the group way down. I want to work on the whole set od drills all day not in steps.

Intermdiate is next step after Novice.

I know you are joking with 3rd question but for the sake of less track oriented people, am I being to literal in using my legs to help turn the bike and not using enough arms for steering input?

Just looking to learn and steadily become faster and smoother. Not aspirations to race and don't think I ever will. I really enjoy the challenge I have getting better each time out.
If you are concentrating on trying to turn the bike with your legs at all you're wasting a lot of energy.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Living the dream

Was told my body and head were in the right spot through turns. I was taugh good mechanics early.

I know if I let go with my hands I would stay on. Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I am pushing too much with my legs and need to use some more arm inputs.

Just have to think about the whole step up now.

post #7 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I had the same problem with legs tiring. Fortunately I do track days with a buddy who is faster, and has a lot of experience helping people out. The simple fix was baby powder on the seat. My leathers and the seat material weren't allowing me to slide, so I was lifting my ass to get from one side of the seat to the other quickly. This will wear your leg muscles out really fast. Made a huge difference.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 19 Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Living the dream

Now that you mention it I think I was lifting a bit more than just sliding.

I am still a newb in my book even though I have done a few track days. I am also a visual learner so following faster/good teachers help. I learned tons riding with my buddy who now races AFM. He moved to SF last year.

I am getting much better but want all the help I can get.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Read "Twist of the Wrist I & II."

If you want to get faster, get into the Intermediate group asap. And follow someone faster than you. Seat time, seat time, seat time... You have to pay your dues and the speed will come.

All the good techniques, etc. are in the books. If you finally get to a speed where you are stuck, take a level II school from someone.

post #10 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Those are great books. The second one especially. Written by Keith Code. He's a total weirdo but is pretty knowledgeable. I took his Superbike School and we taught directly from him... yeah, smart and weird.

The book taught me tons. But you have to just take what you learn, go to the track, and slowly apply it all one step at a time. After a few sessions you'll be way more comfortable...

Speed isn't a technique.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

all i got to say is, get some 1 on 1 time w/ an instructor...can turn a mediocre track weekend into a total blast. this is only my 3rd year and all i'm doin is learnin...slowly, as time/budget allows, but here are some of my observations

i'm runnin in the int group now and have ridden w/ 4 different track orgs, multiple regions...they all do things a little different but there is one common element that makes all the difference...coaches, use them, get to know them, check in w/ them when u'r working on something specific (which should be most of the time imho)

>step 1, do what you're doin...

>next thing, hook up w/ an instructor for verbal review b4 each sesion to have a plan and after each session for a review...even if it's not a 'class' environment, just walk up shake hands...let 'em get a look at your leathers and talk to them

>even if a coach is not workin w/ u for a whole session, u'd be amazed at what the observe and pass on in prep for the next time out

>don't sweat gettin buzzed....it's gonna happen, might as well get used to it and learn how to relax, stay on your line and don't do anything sudden...the folks passing you are watching and hopin that u just stay steady

>if u do this, u'll meet more instructors and the next u thing u know, u'll have several coaches offering constructive criticism/coaching when u pit out

>pay attention to where u grid, if u'r wanting more speed, again, get w/ an instructor and grid up front...if u'r ready to move up a level, they'll check u out...and u'll have to handle passin folks properly when u do hit traffic

> lastly, communicate to the coaches how u'r feeling about the day...if u think u'r being held up or 'buzzed too close'...let them know, anytime i've had an issue (and there have been a few, sometimes w/ yelling), the 'problem' has been worked out and i've had a good time but only AFTER talkin to someone

HINT: if it's a 2 day track event...2nd day, afternoon....folks are checkin out, coached out...great time to hookup w/ a coach, grid at #1 and viola, u have your own raceway w/ noone in front and 1on1 training.
(there was 1 time last yr, i actually had 2 coaches workin w/ me and maybe 5 other people on the track...one was the rabbit and the other was constantly buzzin me, tryin to pull me off my line, gettin me used to bein passed inside and stuff....total blast; last lap, last session...fastest lap of the year, how much fun is that?)

that's the 'free' method....only thing better is takin a class (which should be on the agenda too)

i'm ramblin about all this cause i'm psyched...have some days comin up...finally

post #12 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Living the dream

I have read both Twist the Wrist Books and enjoyed them. For the most part I think I know what I need to do I just need to get my mind to do it and pass that along to my body.

I think I will bump up next time. I am considering a class such as Schwantz or Pridmore's school or even Keith Code's. If I could time a track day I have had offers from other racers to help me. Plus I know some people on here are track coache with different groups.

Just always looking for more information and more learning and riding tips. No desire to go out and set a blistering pace. I understand my limits at the moment. I just want to properly learn how to edge them higher and higher.

Just like as I learned in Martial Arts. Get the basics and then work your way up. We always told students that once you got a Black Belt we then knew you were ready to learn.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Get your butt down here and do a level II school with Cornerspeed @ VIR. Aaron Stevenson is pretty doggone good at getting technique across to the average rider. I learned more in his classroom settings and on-track drills than any of my books.

post #14 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Get your butt down here and do a level II school with Cornerspeed @ VIR. Aaron Stevenson is pretty doggone good at getting technique across to the average rider. I learned more in his classroom settings and on-track drills than any of my books.
+1... Getting faster means wrestling the bike and getting used to it moving!

post #15 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

It's all been said...

post #16 of 19 Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Living the dream

Thanks again to everyone and I gained quite a few tips. I think I know some of what I am overdoing to cause excess fatigue and soreness.

I just wish I could squeeze in another track day this year. I think I will make the jump to I and work with a coach from the start. That way I can get more track time and more time working on the drills I need to work on.

Thanks again guys and maybe I will make it to VIR next year.

post #17 of 19 Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

There'll be a bunch of us their for the November 6th and 7th with cornerspeed. Last hurra of the year. Jim Fish and his crew will be coming down and Greg and I will be there as well.

Start living on Ramen Noodles and PBJ's and get down here...hahaha.

post #18 of 19 Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Living the dream

Cash is an issue but no so much as the time off and the DJ schdule is set for the time being which gets in the way of track days a bit. It also fund them so I can't complain.

I will do my best for next year which means Mike has to be there.

post #19 of 19 Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

As a wise man once said "Begin It Now." If its something you truly want to do, then do it. You can always find simple reasons to not do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode