Michael Jordan Interview - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Michael Jordan Interview

Taken from Soup, but a great insight on the ineptness of AMA racing. Why can't they see how bad they are screwing up??

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jun/070627a.htm

Jordan Interview: Reading Between the Lines

by dean adams

Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Michael Jordan interview published on SuperBikePlanet.com last week was notable for two reasons:

One, that it actually happened, because Jordan has thus far refused to be interviewed on the record by the web and print motorbike enthusiast media.

Two, because of his frank comments on the US Superbike series.

Reading between the lines, it's clear that Jordan loves racing, but is at the same time very frustrated by the AMA Superbike rules. Rules which allow factory equipment to exist and at the same time for it not to be sold to other competitors.

A source told me that Jordan tried to buy Mat Mladin's 2006 factory Superbike at the end of the '06 season, but was told by Suzuki that he could not afford it. Jordan, who regularly made over a hundred million dollars a year, told them to simply give him a price and he'd decide if he could afford it or not. No price was given.

Jordan seems to have little time for the murky bureaucracy of the AMA saying "...I refuse to promote what's in place, because I think it needs to be changed."
(When Mat Mladin won the championship at Barber Motorsport Park a few years back, George Barber asked Suzuki for a price for Mladin's bike as he wanted to add it to the collection at his museum. Barber was told he could not afford it but that Suzuki would be happy to build him a replica of the bike. Barber reiterated that he wanted the actual bike. He was again told, according to Barber, he could not afford it.)

Jordan seems to have little time for the murky bureaucracy of the AMA saying "...I refuse to promote what's in place, because I think it needs to be changed."

What to take away from the Jordan interview?

That he's frustrated with the equipment rules as they stand today and wants better access to works parts, or he wants the ability of the teams to run works parts done away with.

US Superbike racing, at one time, had equipment claiming rules to help privateers obtain works parts even if the factories would not sell them. Anyone remember Ashmead claiming the mag' carbs off Shobert's factory Honda? And AMA roadracing, at one time, had a claiming rule for motorcycles, for the very same reason. Anyone remember Ontario 1971?

The AMA, whether they realize it or not, are standing on the doorway of a situation which could dramatically increase the popularity and stature of their racing series. If Jordan decided to promote US Superbike it would change motorcycle racing in America exponentially. While the AMA's efforts would probably be limited to talking Jordan into doing one of their incredibly lame membership commercials and calling it a day, the possibilities of Jordan taking a proactive stance about US roadracing are nearly limitless in terms of potential growth. Yes, it would mean more AMA members, not just more AMA members.

If Mike Jordan attended a NASCAR or MotoGP event and made noises like he was interested in owning a team, MotoGP and NASCAR would insure that he could run a competitive operation.

The AMA talk rounding the horn indicates that the next round of major Superbike rules will debut in 2009. If true, it will probably be too little too late. Jordan can't be expected to keep beating his head against the wall for another year and a half.

By that time Jordan will have tired of this and may well be gone.

ENDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

hmmmmm.
Jordan can make a lot of noise. A LOT. A phone call from Jordan to "his people" can influence many things.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

To many things to rant about the AMA that I'm just going to endup confusing myself if I say anything... suffice to say, I think I have watched a total of 10 minutes of AMA racing this year.

But... + 100 on what Kev said.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
hmmmmm.
Jordan can make a lot of noise. A LOT. A phone call from Jordan to "his people" can influence many things.
Yet, the officials in the AMA just don't see that???? Haven't they noticed the downturn of spectators at their events?

post #5 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't understand why they keep blowing it for themselves and for everyone else? This has been going on for how long now? Changing/Making stupid rules.

Dick Cheney should go to AMA and start shooting people in the face.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

What genious can't figure out a way to allow Jordan (or private teams) to operate and USE HIM to further your series?

HELLO? McFly?

He's a marketing magnate fer chris sakes!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That guy is smart. He should play basketball or something.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
That guy is smart. He should play basketball or something.
that's funny right there!!

post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I think the AMA should take some of the advice given. I have fun watching any kind of racing in which teams are pitted against each other in a fairly even theater. When you are there to watch the winingest team riders racing each other and the rest of the field is a quarter of a lap back its just not as fun. It must be extremely rough on the non factory teams to stay any where near competitve without the capital to improve or the support of the manufactures. Lesser team bikes are still Suzukis, Hondas, etc. The manufactures should be proud to have any one of thier machines cross the line first.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The AMA have proven their inability to market by ruining Daytona, and their inability to cope by not fixing it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Dick Cheney should go to AMA and start shooting people in the face.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

In the short form, "You wankers, you can't afford our bikes so go pound sand.", they might be saying that to a couple of the wrong people?

post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Living the dream

Very good interview and the between the lines article that followed. A lot of people hope the AMA listens and things turn around.

Jordan and some other satellite teams (Corona, Attack) run great squads and deserve to be competitive and can draw much needed outside sponsors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode