Man, what a great day!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Talking Man, what a great day!!

Ok, so I went to VIR North for a track day co-sponsored by Cornerspeed, and a local Moto shop. I have never ridden VIR North, so I was hesitant, and a bit nervous. Through Aaron's instruction, and his top-notch instructors, I had the best track-day ever. I started the day off with new leathers, which was hard enough to overcome, and it was cold. By the second session though, the sun had poked out, track temps rose, and I was significantly improving. I had an instructor follow me for the last three laps of the second session, and he gave me some very good feedback on improving my rythm and smoothing out my transitions. I am positive that rythm and smoothness was a direct reflection of my inability to be in the right gear, combined with not knowing the course yet. Everything changed on my third session. I went out as the third group, and somehow, I found myself alone on the track (or so I thought) for about 5 laps of sheer adrenaline-infused joy. I saw the lines, smooth on the throttle, I drug both of my knees through the turns(first time I ever touched down!), connected the corners, and it felt like nothing else. Unknown to me however, I was being followed by an instructor. He pulled me aside after that session, and proceeded to tell me that I was picture perfect. I hit every apex, accellerated exactly right, and transitioned well. He said if I kept up that pace, he would soon bump me to the Intermediate group. I did not get the chance to prove myself though, as a nasty thunderstorm moved in for the afternoon, and we had to pack up after waiting for it to pass for about two hours. Nevertheless, I felt like I the proverbial Knight slaying his first dragon. I was on a high unlike any other. Thanks for listening, and I can't wait for my next day. Sometime in May, don't know if it will be VIR or RA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Congrats on the improvements! Everybody keeps talking about how much fun they have doing track days, I'm desparate to do one!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Yeah? Well I just saved a bundle on car insurance by switching to Geico Direct! (not really, they are a rip off)

That sounds like a blast, glad you had fun. Anyone snap a picture of ya?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

congrats! very cool feeling huh?

post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Yeah? Well I just saved a bundle on car insurance by switching to Geico Direct! (not really, they are a rip off)

That sounds like a blast, glad you had fun. Anyone snap a picture of ya?
The guys at "Pics of You" were out there, but when I went to preview them, there were only about 7 pics of every rider. At $65 a CD, I didn't think it was worth it. If we had been able to ride in the afternoon sessions, I am sure it would have made it worthwhile. I still have the CD of my first ever trackday last year @ VIR South though.

And you got it right JB, it is a feeling like no other.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Great to hear Ridge!! Sounds like you had a blast out there! All this talk of track days, lines, and accelerating out of apexes is making me think about JB's June date and it's looking very tempting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode