Labor day 9/1 @ BIG Willow Springs with TrackXperience - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Labor day 9/1 @ BIG Willow Springs with TrackXperience

Cal-Sportbike TrackXperience is back at the Willow Springs 2.5 mile Big Track...LABOR DAY HOLIDAY Monday September 1st!

BOOK SOON...THIS IS GOING FAST AND OUR LABOR DAY EVENT HAS SOLD OUT EVERY YEAR SINCE 2001!!!

ORIENTATION CLASS: With a comprehensive track orientation class for riders of all skill levels, we should be the first choice for riders who are looking to build their skills and become precision riders! And with us, while speed is fun, it's all about precision with us, not just the speed!

OPEN LAPPING: For mature experienced track riders, we offer open lapping with abundant track time yet we avoid overcrowding the track and we keep unsafe and discourteous riders out of our events. You bring out a nice bike, we expect you to be able to take it home shiny too. Our staff of professional instructors are available throughout the day for one-on-one personal coaching, and they monitor this group for safe and courteous riding. Open lapping in level 1 is for riders desiring a slower pace, or newer riders with none or little TrackXperience. level 2 open lapping is for a typical intermediate, having TrackXperience. level 3 Open lapping is for advanced track rider. Licensed racers are allowed at our events, but must bear in mind the nature and approach of our events, and NO RACE PASSES will be allowed.

TRACSTAR CHALLENGE: Tracstar is a skills-based rider certification and awards program which focuses on developing both physical and mental bike control skills and safety habits. It is inspired by proven sports training programs that have worked well for decades around the globe. Tracstar is free and optional for any rider.

FORMAT: 3 set groups. We know it's going to be warmer weather out there so We'll have 3 set groups so YOU don't over do it, 20 minute sessions, instead of our usual 30 minute sessions, as perferred by our riders on SCS.

AMENITIES: We deliver chilled bottled water and Gatorade delivered to each pit during the day! Vendor services at this event include trackside tire service (provided by Racer's Edge Michelin through Precepts Motorsports), photography by Caliphotography, suspension tuning by CycleMall.net, on site sports massage therapy free to our riders. Videography by Tom Davlantis! We have standby EMS and of course a full corner staff for your safety.

PRICE: The ticket price is $155 for the day, You get what you pay for...and our riders expect a better experience with more track time and better amenities.

* Motorcycle industry employees and licensed racers are eligible for additional sponsorship savings. *

More information on the TrackXperience orientation classes, open lapping, one-on-one instruction, and the Tracstar Challenge Program can be found online at http://www.TrackXperience.com or by calling (800) 930-8520. registration questions may be directed to James Hoskins extension 84.

JOIN US AT THE TRACK - (800)930-8520

Sponsors:
Suomy Helmets
Sidi Boots
Michelin Tires
Galfer Brakes
Spidi Leathers
Vortex Racing
Pipercross Air Filters

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Jay,

I just signed up in the L1 group and am looking forward to some practice on hanging-off properly on the turns, mainly keeping my outside arm straight and "kissing" the mirror.

Rob Tharalson and XRMikey helped me out yesterday on the GMR group ride, but I was on the Tuono and could not get it right. Need more saddle time on the Aprilia.

Which brings up a question. Should I concentrate on getting my form right on the 919 and not bring the Tuono to the track?

Also, as a track riding strategy, I'm thinking of skipping Buttonwillow this year and sticking to the two Willow tracks till I get everything worked out and bumping up to the L2 level.

What's up with the one-on-one instructions? Could use some of those from an ex-919 rider. Most CRs out there have no experience with naked or dirt bikes and can't relate to the problems I'm having; like why I always keep two fingers on the clutch lever?

See ya at the track
Mike

post #3 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Jay,

I just signed up in the L1 group and am looking forward to some practice on hanging-off properly on the turns, mainly keeping my outside arm straight and "kissing" the mirror.

Rob Tharalson and XRMikey helped me out yesterday on the GMR group ride, but I was on the Tuono and could not get it right. Need more saddle time on the Aprilia.

Which brings up a question. Should I concentrate on getting my form right on the 919 and not bring the Tuono to the track?

Also, as a track riding strategy, I'm thinking of skipping Buttonwillow this year and sticking to the two Willow tracks till I get everything worked out and bumping up to the L2 level.

What's up with the one-on-one instructions? Could use some of those from an ex-919 rider. Most CRs out there have no experience with naked or dirt bikes and can't relate to the problems I'm having; like why I always keep two fingers on the clutch lever?

See ya at the track
Mike
Bring both bikes Mike!
other wise, bring the track bike! Which one do you plan on riding on the track? If it's both bikes then bring both!

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to WSIR Labor day, we'll see how it goes.
One on one instruction, is you just come up to me or any of our instructors and ask to help you with what you want to work on! Or we can ride with you and evaluate you.

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689

post #4 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfooey View Post
Bring both bikes Mike!
other wise, bring the track bike! Which one do you plan on riding on the track? If it's both bikes then bring both!

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to WSIR Labor day, we'll see how it goes.
One on one instruction, is you just come up to me or any of our instructors and ask to help you with what you want to work on! Or we can ride with you and evaluate you.

Hope you can make it; don't know if the other instructers have any experience with the ergonomics of a naked bike.

I'm sticking to the 919 till I get my posture right and get more saddle time on the Tuono.

post #5 of 34 Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

OK Mike...

I'm IN, and YOU have your experienced 919 instructor, do you have or are bringing bike stands for your 919?

If YOU want personal one on one instruction with Me using your 919, bring your stands if you don't have any let me know and we'll at least use my rear stand! We'll start off working on body positioning 919 style... ok!

Did You get rear sets? What about lower handle bars?

What tires are you going to be running?

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #6 of 34 Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Awards Showcase

Got the LP stands, Sato rearsets, and Renthal Ultra Low bars.

I'll have around 2500 miles and two track days on the tires, so probably will need a new set. I'm thinking about getting the tires at the track but not sure what they charge for a set of Power 2CT. How can I get the number for the tire guys. What do you recommend as far as tires?

post #7 of 34 Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

I always ran Diable Corsas / III's on most all the bikes I owned that have seen street/track duty, they are great street/track tires, I had them on my 750, until I started racing, and I plan to return to them next year, So my tires will see more Trackdays...

Our tire guys at the track, Michelin Tires / Percepts Motorsports:
[email protected] or call 661-209-4062

You should try to get your tires mounted before the track, I hate to waste part of the morning at the track dealing with that. I will be getting new tires mounted & do my usual pre-track maintance this weekend.

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #8 of 34 Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Awards Showcase

Man, I've been trying to help you with the pushing, but the guys I've been talking to don't understand how great of a deal this is at $115. Oh, well, their loss.

Anyways, I called up Precepts Moto about tires. They can get them mounted and balanced in about 15 minutes, if I can give them the wheels off the bike at around 7:15. That means I have to be there when the gate opens and rush to get the wheels off the bike.

Now I know what you mean about the hassle. I'll try to get them done on Saturday.

Does TrackXperience require any safety wiring in the L2 group?

post #9 of 34 Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Yes $115 is an awesome deal, the October event will be back up to the new price of $160, that's down $25 from $185... Mike if you ride with us in October you should get the package deal for both labor day & October track events for $250 that would be like paying only $125 for each event!

Yes those tire guys are pretty quick! Don't miss the riders meeting though ok...

As for bumping up to L2, you should do it... at least at the Labor day event, because there will be 3 levels... for TrackXperience in all levels Safety Wiring is recommended, but not required.

What is required in L2 is a back protector & water or water/water wetter mixture, NO COOLANT in the motorcycle.

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #10 of 34 Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 PM

Awards Showcase

Jay,

I talked to Tom about using his extra race suit, but his son is riding on Monday and will need the suit. He mentioned something about suit rental service, but didn't know if they were track-side or not.

Do you details on suit rentals?

post #11 of 34 Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Tom ask me to pass this info to you:

he can rent a suit from him..... jackson tan - [email protected]

=====================================

as far as myself, I really don't know anything about suit rentals.

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #12 of 34 Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Tom ask me to pass this info to you:

he can rent a suit from him..... jackson tan - [email protected]

=====================================

as far as myself, I really don't know anything about suit rentals.
Thanks Jay,

Worked out better than I expected. I picked up a brand new RS Taichi this afternoon and have to return it by Wednesday. Real nice guys, just getting started. I'll try to send them some business.

I'm doing all the bike prepping tomorrow. I'll just have to get to the gate by 6:45 and start wrenching to get the wheels off for Precept Moto.

How long is the rider's meeting for the L1 group?

What order do you guys run the groups?

Mike

post #13 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Awesome Mike!

I'm super glad they could help you out!

The riders meeting for everyone is something like 25 - 30 minutes long.
As for the level 1 group meeting right after the rider meeting is like another 20 or so long. Are you going to do the school? If you are it will be longer...

The riders meeting for everyone is mandatory.

Didn't you come late the last time and didn't do the school?

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #14 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 AM

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I was on the wrong side of the airbase at 7:00 am.

Tom did a one-on-one rider's meeting. I did the school; I was in Ian's group.

Is the L1 group first on the track?

post #15 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

The rotation goes in this order at this (Labor day) event

Level 3 (advance/fast guys)
Level 2 (intermediate)
Level 1 (novice/beginners)

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #16 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Mike how many track days have you done so far?

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #17 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 06:58 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Mike how many track days have you done so far?
2 at WSIR and 1 at the Streets.

post #18 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Are you dragging a knee ?

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #19 of 34 Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

There is a rider on SoCal-Sportbikes.com trying to sell their spot for only $100

here a link http://socal-sportbikes.com/xmb/view...d=59557&page=1

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #20 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM

Awards Showcase

post #21 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM
post #22 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Looking great out there man! I like the Veloce Headlight too!

post #23 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Awards Showcase

Thanks Mike,

Seems not too many people check out the trackday section.
Not sure if it's worth the time to write a report.

OK folks, I need some feedback.
Anyone interested in a report please post up.

Mike

post #24 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Shoot to stop

I'm interested. I won't be able to do a track day with TrackXperience because I live in Texas, but I'm always interested in reading about other people's experience at track days. I'm hoping to lose some weight so I can do them next spring (can't fit my fatness into leathers).

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #25 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I like reading about trackdays...as a rookie rider , I wanna do one just to become a better rider on the street...just afraid I may get hooked.

post #26 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You should go ahead and write one Mike, helps you to digest what went on that day, and know what to work on the next time. A lot of people will still read it, even if they don't post a comment.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #27 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

do it PLEASE

post #28 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Awards Showcase

Well, on Sunday when I started to get ready, the battery in the truck was dead; couldn't even jump start it from a neighbors truck. The only charger I had available was a trickle charger and it took 8 hours before I was confident enough to try again. Note to self: take the truck for a drive at least once a week.

With all the lost time, I ended up getting 3 hours of sleep that night. Got to the track an hour late at 8:00 am. I went straight over to the Precepts canopy to ask about the wait time to get new tires put on. They told me to get them the wheels and they'll get it done in 15-20 minutes.

I met up with Jay on the way back to my truck and asked him to take a look at the tires. Good news, according to him they had 2 more track days left on them.

Things were starting to work out. I caught up with some people I had met on the prior track days and chatted with them till the rider's meeting...

post #29 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

refresh my memory please. How many trackdays so far & what was/were the other track(s)?

post #30 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 AM

Awards Showcase

This was my 3rd at WSIR; I did one at the Streets about a month ago.
The Streets is a more technical track, but it's only 1.8 miles; lots of transitions though.

I'll do different tracks next year; I'm concentrating on body posture this year. I'm planning on doing California Superbikes School on Sept. 20th. (BYOB for $390)

post #31 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 PM

Awards Showcase

... As usual the L1 group had a longer rider's meeting; during which an AMA racer expressed his objections to Track Xperience's red flag rules to Jim, one of the owners. When a red flag is waved during a session, TrackXperience requires you hold up a hand and safely come to a stop on the side of the track and wait till further notice. The racer was concerned about his highly modded race bike whereas Jim expressed his concern for the safety of the injured rider. To which the racer replied: "Oh, and the AMA is not?" and walked off disgusted. Hmmm, I better leave that one alone.

One thing I don't like about the L1 rules is not allowing passes in the Omega (turns 3, 4, and 5). If you're stuck behind a beginner on a fast bike you're pretty much screwed; since I'm on a 919 it presents a problem. I had a few liter bikes pass me on the straights only to be stuck behind them in the turns.

Anyways, after the meeting, I started preparing for my session. For the first time I had a suit that was my size; it was a RS Taichi rental in size 54/44. I had a hard time getting the top of the suit on, it kept on catching on the shoulder pads of the Bohn Pro Racer back protector. I finally gave up and asked for help from my pit neighbors Gerardo and Mariana. Gerardo used to race in Mexico and was riding a pro race bike that he had purchased from a racer friend. It was going to the body and paint shop the next day so he didn't want to push too hard so he was in the L1 group. He helped me with a few pointers later and after sitting on my bike to demonstrate proper foot positions, he just shook his head and said "Man, I respect you for riding this bike on the track". He had rode behind me during the morning sessions and commented about my fast pace.

Real nice people. Here's a couple pics of Gerardo:

expmanCA2UGFLL.jpg

expmanCA76CF3W.jpg

Here's an instructor on his brand new R1200:

expmanCA52LBHV.jpg

The first couple of sessions were pretty boring; just worked on my body posture and started working up the speed...

post #32 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
TrackXperience Pusher!

Nice write up Mike!

The problem with passing in the omega with new riders (level 1) is being consistant and holding a smooth line. Which is kind of hard for many newer riders to do in the tighter more technical section of that track. So to avoid a potential problem from happening, we just do not allow passing in that level!
I even try not to pass there in that level, and I am allowed to pass there since I'm an instructor!

As for the RED flag situation... I can't comment on it... I don't necessarly agree with it, but does it really matter? I mean if we go over how we operated it with everyone, then everyone should be on the same page?!?! WE feel this would be the best way for US to get the right people in the right place the fastest & safest way possible. It no big deal really...

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #33 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
... As usual the L1 group had a longer rider's meeting; during which an AMA racer expressed his objections to Track Xperience's red flag rules to Jim, one of the owners. When a red flag is waved during a session, TrackXperience requires you hold up a hand and safely come to a stop on the side of the track and wait till further notice. The racer was concerned about his highly modded race bike whereas Jim expressed his concern for the safety of the injured rider. To which the racer replied: "Oh, and the AMA is not?" and walked off disgusted.
I know it's because I've not done any track days, but I'm not sure I understand what the AMA racer's issue is here. How is following the red flag procedure going to cause any concern for his highly moded race bike?

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #34 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Awards Showcase

I'm not 100% sure about the AMA procedures, but in almost any motorsport, including IJSBA rules in watercraft racing, red means return to starting line with caution. Waiting for instructions in full track gear in 100 degree temps. is not too good on the human machine either.

It'd be easier to follow established AMA rules and not get confused about what to do. Also on the starting grid, you can take your helmet off and get in the shade and hydrate.

Forgot to thank Jay for helping unload the bike and do the tech inspection in my pits. Thanks bro.

expmanCA0QWU61.jpg

expmanCADH1EK0.jpg

Also, I appreciate Gina Rossi taking time to provide sports massages to anyone that wanted one. I know it helped loosen up my neck and shoulders. Oh, and thanks for not blasting away from me on the track so I could learn from your lines.

expmanCATE320A.jpg

expmanCADB32XC.jpg

Here's some better pics of Gerardo:

expmanCANPNHZA.jpg

expmanCASSWI7Z.jpg

I'll finish the report later.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode