Kawasakis out ! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Kawasakis out !

No more Moto GP for Kawasaki - drats ! Thier ROK hospitality @ Indy was awesome !

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35264
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081230b.htm

Now , my question, good thing or bad ?

Bad - Hopper and Melanidri are out a ride
Bad - Thinning the paddock is bad anyway you slice it
Bad - No more scantly clad Monster Energy pit chicks around

Good- Maybe now Kawasaki can concentrate on WSBK - It was shameful, they were racing a 2007 model @ Miller, just pitiful !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Just read the news. Imagine finding out after all the contracts are signed. Where does this leave Hopper & Melandri both talented racers? The field is thinning and early talk of Honda cutting funding for satellite teams.

post #3 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If there isn't a case where they were able to find rides in MotoGP next year I'd say Kawasaki should divert a chunk of the savings to the WSBK program and make them ride there. It wouldn't take much at all for them to be up near the front and I'm sure Monster would come right along.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

That sucks! Anyway you cut it, it is bad that so many teams are pulling the plug on their programs.

I am wondering how many of these moves are also pre-cautionary into the new year which will involve a lot of re-building and recovery.

post #5 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

This is truly a Conondrum boyz and girlz, with Kawasaki out, we are left with 17 bikes on the grid (I think we had 19 bikes total, right?), now, If Honda decides to pull the plug, we're gonna have to start watching Lawnmower Racing as MotoGP is gonna be in the history books only.

I doubt very much Melandri will be content with a WSBK ride, I can see Hopper doing it as he appears to be a check collector only and does not mind what he rides as long as the pay is good.

To be Honest, if I can get a viewing TV package like the one I get with MotoGP, I would gladly spend the money to grab WSBK as that is truly where the races are at... as far as competition is concerned.

Now, do you think that the likes of Valentino will give some of that money back just to get the Championship going? Nahhh... I doubt that.

Ask yourself this, with Kawasaki Gone and Honda hinting rumors about leaving as well... where does this leaves Suzuki? They can't be doing any better than Kawasaki, can they?

post #6 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

I am starting to worry about a massive pull out of big names in major motor sports. Kawasaki may not have been the biggest player in MotoGP but they were coming along with development of their bike and their street bikes have improved ten-fold from knowledge and technology gained from the MotoGP race track.

I hope this does not signal others to start pulling out and result in a cancellation of the series or other series. If Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki pull out, it is pretty much over - unless Ducati wants to give other teams a ten lap headstart - and then catch up and win every time.

post #7 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
To be Honest, if I can get a viewing TV package like the one I get with MotoGP, I would gladly spend the money to grab WSBK as that is truly where the races are at... as far as competition is concerned.
Ditto!

post #8 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A lot of people seemed to think Honda pulled out of F1 because they couldn't win. Then they pulled out of AMA "because they couldn't win." Well, what now? It was an economic move all along, and now others are doing the same. It's early in the offseason. I fear this could take a big tumble after the first of the year. Ducati is probably the least of the cash backed teams.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 23 Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
A lot of people seemed to think Honda pulled out of F1 because they couldn't win. Then they pulled out of AMA "because they couldn't win." Well, what now? It was an economic move all along, and now others are doing the same. It's early in the offseason. I fear this could take a big tumble after the first of the year. Ducati is probably the least of the cash backed teams.
I am with you on that concern Jim. Like I said, I hope it is not signal for all the rest to pull out.

post #10 of 23 Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Ducati is probably the least of the cash backed teams.
Its been kind of intresting, with the major bike manufactors posting double digit losses, Ducati has had growth - August they had 13% sales growth. I havent seen the number for the following months, but, for this little Itallian company to grow while the rest of the industry is shrinking, man, thats something !
I sure would hate to see Suzuki leave the paddock, even if they werent at the top of the poduim - its kind of like Kawi, yeah , they really didnt have a good season, but, they were there ---

With all this going on, makes me wonder if the manufactors are going to continue to support AMA stuff, like sponsoring weekend race like Honda does @ Bike week and Suzuki does @ Road Atlanta/VIR ? Im starting to wonder if Honda didnt pull out of Freddies deal just to comsolidate, and blamed it all on him rather than admit there was a cash flow problem .

post #11 of 23 Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

And this was just posted !

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081230uq.htm

I particullary liked this -

"Especially in light of MotoGP's rival world championship—World Superbike. The WSBK series features production-based motorcycles and dramatically lower costs. How much lower? It's estimated that Kawasaki could race an entire half-season of WSBK—with a well run team—solely on John Hopkins' MotoGP salary."

WOW !!! Kawasaki, put your money in WSBK !!!!!

post #12 of 23 Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

And just incase someone from Kawasaki is watching this --

2009 Superbike World Championship
Schedule

February 27-March 1
Phillips Island, Australia Phillips Island Circuit
March 12-14
Doha, Qatar Losail International Circuit
April 3-5
Valencia, Spain Circuito de la Comunitat Valenciana
April 24-26
Assen, Netherlands TT Circuit Assen
May 8-10
Monza, Italy Autodromo Nazionale Monza
May 15-17
Kyalami, South Africa Kyalami Circuit
May 29-31
Salt Lake City, UT, USA Miller Motorsports Park
June 19-21
Misano, San Marino Misano World Circuit
June 26-28
Donnington, Great Britain Donnington Park
July 24-26 Brno, Czech Republic Autodromo Brno
September 4-6
Nurburg, Germany Nurburgring
September 25-27 Imola, Italy Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari
October 2-4 Nevers, France Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours
October 23-25 Portimao, Portugal Algarve International Circuit

post #13 of 23 Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Its been kind of intresting, with the major bike manufactors posting double digit losses, Ducati has had growth - August they had 13% sales growth. I havent seen the number for the following months, but, for this little Itallian company to grow while the rest of the industry is shrinking, man, thats something !
Well from what I know of they have a full order sheet for the new 'Streetfighter' for 2009. So they don't need to sell any other bikes as they're smiling widely already.
This might prompt the naked 848 along too.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
And this was just posted !

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081230uq.htm

I particullary liked this -

"Especially in light of MotoGP's rival world championship—World Superbike. The WSBK series features production-based motorcycles and dramatically lower costs. How much lower? It's estimated that Kawasaki could race an entire half-season of WSBK—with a well run team—solely on John Hopkins' MotoGP salary."

WOW !!! Kawasaki, put your money in WSBK !!!!!
And so it begins... this might herald the death kneel of MotoGP. Imagine that! You can run an entire WSBK season on one rider's salary. Imagine what Stoner and Rossi are costing their teams. And then you factor Honda's financial situation and salaries of people like Pedrosa, etc. It would not surprise me to see MotoGP get shelved... unless the season starts as it is... but there is time for others to make that call on the series.

post #15 of 23 Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Awards Showcase

What I don't understand is this, they had already contracted the riders, crew and everything else they were gong to need to go racing and now, they still have to pay them off so, why don't you just go racing and quit next year?

post #16 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
What I don't understand is this, they had already contracted the riders, crew and everything else they were gong to need to go racing and now, they still have to pay them off so, why don't you just go racing and quit next year?
By not actually racing they save a lot of money. No bike to develop or build. No trailers, travel, no bonuses, etc.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post
By not actually racing they save a lot of money. No bike to develop or build. No trailers, travel, no bonuses, etc.
I understand that part but I guess I wanted to see if someone knew the figure ($$$) we are talking about here, if its only a couple of Mils, then I don't consider that saving lots of money considering all the benefits for future sales.

Yes, I could probably live well enough with 2 Mil but, for them, is not exactly a big deal.

post #18 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

From what Ive read, to build 2 bike for each rider / transport / staff and actually race, they were spending in the neighbor hood of 10 to 20 million a year. Now with the market so tight and dealers struggling to sell product at below their cost in most cases, its gonna take alot of sells to make up that cash to run their team. Probably a smart move for Kawasaki, seeing as how their market share world wide is sliding -Guess its a wait and see approach for those guys --

post #19 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

2 million wouldn't come close. And when you've got stockholders breathing down your neck 2 million is 2 million.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Guzzi Man

Kawaski back in motoGp with a podium soon?

Hayate Team has been supplied last years quakers. The strange world of motoGP continues!

post #21 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Guzzi Man

I'm getting senile!!!
Marco Melandri piloted the Kawasaki to 2nd place in the wet French GP! Guess I was in the MillerTime zone.

post #22 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Melandri's bike is not a Kawasaki Factory Effort Team Bike anymore, he's practically a privateer with good sponsorship; and I love watching him do well!

post #23 of 23 Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Awards Showcase

If rain would have continued in Mugello, he would have spanked the whole lot... with room to spare to boot

Kawasaki must be in a real tough situation at the moment. Here's a bike with no development getting noticed by EVERYONE left and right, do they ruin a good thing by given them more shinny parts or do they leave it alone and not fook up the formula?

Sure, it could be all Melandri's doing but, what if they spend more money, make some unobtanium parts, throw him a bone and he starts going backwards?

A real Conumdrum is what we have here gentleman...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode