JenningsGP September Trackdays - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

JenningsGP September Trackdays

Usually I work a few hours on Friday before heading to the track. Jennings is about 215 miles from my office so heading out around 11:00 gives ample time to unpack and setup. This time I chose to take Friday off and head to the track early, this would prove to be a wise decision. The night before I'd packed the Element and the trailer with enough stuff to pit & camp a small army of people, I decided that carrying this much stuff (I can't think of a better word than stuff) meant that I would not be unprepared, and that's true. I only need a medium box truck to carry everything.

The trip was uneventful, stopped once for gas and that horrible gas station food which does nothing beneficial for your body except ensure you will be visiting the latrine and losing a couple pounds in seconds. With about 130 miles to go I start making calls. Greyhound is already 2 miles from the track searching desparately for a carwash, Snowman is somewhere in a cellular deadspot and PhatRC51 is just about to head out from Alabama. Flash forward 2 hours and it's about 11:30 and I'm at the track.

Pit setup took about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. 2 tarps spread out on the ground, 2 ezup canopies, 2 sets of walls for the ezups, tie down stakes to keep the ezups from flying away, 3 fans, tools, supplies, clothes, leathers, helmets and two bikes. WHEW! I bring too much stuff to the track.

By 5:00'ish the mildly warm weather has given way to ominous clouds. By 6:00'ish hell's fury is unleashed. Canopies are blowing everywhere, things are toppling all around, the rain is coming down by the truckload, small people are taking flight, and all I can think is... that track is going to be very green tomorrow. We all got soaked but my canopies held firm with their industrial strength tie down method.

By Saturday morning everyone is walking around with hugs and handshakes, breakfast was 2 deep fried sausage links and a biscuit slathered in sausage gravy, yummm!
The Husqvarna didn't want to start so I had no choice but to ride the CRF150F in advanced group. Surely it would be safer to ride in advanced group with people experienced with passing would get around me easily but race control felt differently, I was running just under 2:00 laptimes with other riders running in the 1:20-:30's - I got meatballed and pushed into Intermediate. 1:57.27 was my best time and the bike tops out at around 50-52mph. Had the throttle pinned nearly the entire course.

After the Husqvarna finally came to life it didn't take long for the street Pilot Powers to start talking back. Wahh, I'm tired, I'll just slide around all over the place. Wahhh! Street compound tires pushing 1:34-:38 at Jennings just isn't a good idea.

Sunday - Much of this day was spent control riding for the Florida Sportbikers group, so I spent most of that time on the CRF150. No doubt it frustrated a few people not going any faster than 50'ish but guess what, when you're new to the track you don't learn anything by blasting to 130 in the straights and creeping through the turns at 30mph. For 4 sessions they stayed behind the little 150 that could but eventually they left me for other CRs with faster bikes so I brought the Husqvarna out to play after lunch.
Say hello to Dunlop Sportmax soft compound race tires. 3 warm up laps later the bike was railing and sticking like glue. But developed a horrible jittering vibration when pushed harder than 1:34. Let out a couple pounds of pressure but still never went away, I just rode through it. Turn 1 and 7 were most noticeable - funny how changing tires can necessitate a full suspension reset. I made a couple of adjustments and saw my first 1:33 of the weekend. The rest of the day was spent leisurely trotting about running mostly 1:34-:36 laptimes.

Monday - the gloves come off. (metaphorically)
Tired, sore and feeling twice my age I awaken to a glorious morning of (you guessed it) sausage and biscuits & gravy. Shortly after finishing breakfast I started breaking down the pit and missed the first 2 sessions. The logic is "I'll ride when it's hot and sunny, but packing up sucks when it's hot & sunny". Got about half packed up and decided to ride. Suited up and the Husq fired up on the 2nd attempt, no fuss no muss.
Spent the next two sessions dicing with guys on big bikes and a couple other motards. Got my average laptimes down to the 1:33's, dipping three laps into the 1:32's and even had a 1:30.85 as my fastest lap of the weekend. The vibration came back hard and I need to sort it out. Even G2G could visually see the bike bucking as he trailed me into T1 on a hotlap. For a bike that tops out at 105mph a 1:30-:31 isn't bad at all.

The photographers are still sorting through pictures so I'll have to add them later. Seeing the friends that I only see a few times a year is always the best part of these days. Greyhound, Speedkills, G2G, Snowman and company, hell even Pete. It's not all about you Pete!
Anyway, I had prettymuch figured I'd put the SM450R on the bidding block after this weekend and find myself a nice long distance do everything bike and return to the adventure touring, and I still want to return to adventure touring (Alaska anyone?) but I just can't bring myself to put the Husky out there quite yet. I pushed myself a little outside my comfort zone this weekend, that's progress, and that's why something keeps nagging at me in a ghostly voice "go back to the track, go back to the track."
meh - I'll change my mind 8 more times in the next 3 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Sounds like an awesome time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
I'll change my mind 8 more times in the next 3 weeks.

This so sounds like me!!

post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

My wife does not want me to go anywhere near a track, to keep peace I respect her wishes. That is why I always look forward to reading detailed reports like this one. Thanks Kevin!

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hmmmm, DR-Z125L Vs. CRF150F at Jennings...

Naaaah, jet has home court advantage. I'd be left in the dust after turn 2.

post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 2

Kevin...It was great seeing you again and getting to spend some time on the track with you. I really enjoyed the session we ran where your rear end kept stepping out on you with the worn out tire!!! Sorry we didn't get to have another go at it after you put on some new rubber. I spent so much time instructing with the novice folks that I really didn't get a lot of sessions in the other groups. Then on Monday I was ready to call it quits and pack up after lunch since I had the long drive home to contend with and I was one tired puppy. Are you going to Little Talledega in November? If not I guess I will see you in Jennings in January with the Fla group again.

Thanks again for getting the ezup for me. My next stop will be Home Depot for some of the screw type hold downs.

Think you can or think you can't, either way you will suceed.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Great seeing both of you last weekend. Got get the Gixxer done and get back out there

post #7 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

got a few pictures to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150a.JPG (205.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 150b.JPG (199.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 450a.JPG (252.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 450b.JPG (283.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 450d.JPG (235.1 KB, 18 views)

post #8 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
got a few pictures to share.
Man I want to get out there and do that so bad!

post #9 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Those are very cool pics man! Is that a Husqy 650?

post #10 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Husky SM450R and a Honda CRF150F

post #11 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Pretty sure that's a CRF.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Very nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode