Jennings Report - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Jennings Report

I've got to start keeping a journal so I can record momentus events in real time, my memory wont allow me to reconstruct everything in this one post but I'll do my best.

Saturday - arrived at 11:30 in the afternoon and was **hooray** first person there! I won!! (I'm habitually early to everything and hate it when people are late, learn to tell time buddy!) So I picked out a pit and started setting up shop, a few others trickle in as I'm almost finished. The GS and the 748 are sharing the pit, I'm in the travel trailer and ready to begin decompressing. Check the pressures in the tires, twiddle with this and that. A couple hours later Tom, Pete, Mike J., Ryan, Steve, Dean, Luis & crew have either shown up or are almost there. We catch up, give Pete a hard time about whatever we can, drool over Tom's trailer - seriously cleaner and better equipped than most operating rooms. Dinner at Mori's Japanese Steakhouse. Laughed enough to make our faces ache.

Sunday - ran the GS mostly this day, wanted to scorch off the remaining tires and prepare to mount a new set of stickies. Worked with some track newbies from South Florida and had a great time just taking things easy and offering pointers where I could. Nearing the end of day I pulled the wheels off both bikes and got the new tires on. Dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse - no alcohol served in GA on Sundays, can you believe that? 1930 all over again.

Monday - Ran both the GS and 748. 748 has this wicked pogo stick affect at lower to medium speed. Play with suspension over and over but can't quite sort it out. Pete takes a lap, comes right back in and confirms the feeling. I keep twiddling. Pissed off and not geting anywhere with it I asked Tom to take it out. Which he did, I figured he'd be right back in after a lap or two but he stayed out the entire session. Came back in just grinning, saying that bike feels best when it's pushed, hard. So I resolved myself to push it hard on Tuesday. Dinner at Outback.
Now - Ryan and crew walks in a little later than us and make comments to Steve about his bike, assuring him it wouldn't fall off the stand. Steve knew they had messed with his pit after we left. After dinner we rushed back to the track to find all the garbage cans encircling Steve's pit with duct tape wrapped around the whole thing, they must've used 4 rolls. They also duct taped his KTM motard to the stand.
So we took Ryan's and one other guys bike out of the pits and rolled them down to turn one on the track. Put them back on stands, put the tire warmers back on and even moved their EZ up. We couldn't quit laughing about it.

Tuesday, having ridden nearly every session over the past 2 days it's starting to catch up with me, but I do want to see if the suspension can be sorted so I sit out the first 2 sessions and organize my pit. Then I go out for the last few laps of the novice session to heat up the tires. Session over, I go right back out in the advance session to start pushing the Duc. Over the past couple days I'd say I was riding the Duc at 3/10ths, today while warming it up I went up to about 5/10th and for the next 2 sessions I brought it up to 8/10ths and was running in the very low 30's. With race compound tires I could hit the 29's on that bike. Only once I was pushing it at that level did the suspension behave properly. To make a Duc work you've got to push it really really hard, harder than some people might be comfortable with all the time.

OK so, I'm tired, sore and thoroughly couldn't give a squirt of piss about work so mission accomplished. Tomorrow I'll be back in the grind to hear about other people's drama and just think in the back of my head, you pu***es, stfu and man up.

Tom - see you in November, and I'll be faster then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Great report Jet. Good to hear you enjoyed yourself, and returned unscathed.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Would have loved to be there to see you guys move that **** to turn one!

Very nice!

+ $5

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Nice report Kevin. Looks to me like the Duc has a new home.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 2

Good report Kevin. I think you had already left when Pete and I decided to go out with the whole track to ourselves toward the end of the day on Tuesday. You know for the last 2 years I have been working hard to break the 1:30 mark. So....the first session we do I am stuck to him like glue and after about 4 laps we come in....I did a 1:29:93. So after I cleaned my pants...we went out again, knowing this was probably the last session we would get out of the tires we had on. We did about 5 laps and I could tell it was feeling good....came in and the ole' lap timer showed a best lap of 1:29:08. Finally after all this time I made another goal...and what's even better, I know I can improve on that!! So, besides being a great event, enjoying the company of so many good friends, riding the snot out of your 748 and enjoying it...it made the drive home almost tollerable.

See you soon in November.

Think you can or think you can't, either way you will suceed.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

That's great Tom! Wish I'd been there for that! I've become soft on the BMW and need to get a honed edge again. Can't wait for November, and what's this I hear about March??

post #7 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 07:19 AM
OT

You should have seen the two of them.. like little boys... and then tom did the wood dance when he realized he did 1:29:08...

post #8 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 AM
OT

It seemed like the young crowd all had to nap... and guess who was part of the napping club...

post #9 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 07:28 AM
OT

Here he is control riding....
with a knee down...

post #10 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 AM
OT

We had a great time with Jetblast...and want to thank him for control riding for us on Sunday!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode