I hope Nicky gets it going this year - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

I hope Nicky gets it going this year

I would hate to see him as an also ran all this year. A couple good looking rookies out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Nicky's done. I'm not picking him anymore. Disappointing isn't a big enough word.
Ducati will own the season and Yamaha will make it fun.

post #3 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I'm a MotoGP newb, so just biotch-slap me if I sound stupid...

I heard the race guy's say that Hayden was on an '07 bike? Was Pedrosa, cause he was fightin' up front?

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #4 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

You know, I wish we knew exactly what is going on inside the Honda Camp, apparently, the 2008 bike was not up to par with the 2007 bike, the pneumatic valve engine + chassy was not working out as good as the 2007 bike (all the satellite teams were going faster on testing than the HRC bikes) so Honda decides to bring in 2 2007 bikes for the HRC boys, Nicky decides to use (or is force to?) the 2007 and Pedrosa rode the 2008 as it turns out (this is the part I like to play the "Conspiracy Theorist on").

Nicky is left in the dust at the end of the race (well, from the beginning really!) and Turdosa catapults off of (launches would be such an easy word to use) the tarmac like if he's got 2 F-14 Tomcat turbines with afterburners and finishes pretty good if you ask me. I still say that HRC/Honda is playing with Nicky's ability to develop a bike by all this switches but what the hell do I know... I may just very well be dreaming because I know the boy is good and he won't show it on the races (kinda like Edwards all these years.)

In regards to your post... Yes, I wish and hope he can put it together or this will hinder his career for sure.

post #5 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Nicky's done. I'm not picking him anymore. Disappointing isn't a big enough word.
I would still like to see Nicky get competitive, but I'm beginning to agree with you Jet. Sooner or later you have to come to the conclusion that it's not the fault of the bike or the tires....

But, it's just the first race. Maybe they'll figure something out.

-Joe
post #6 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

I have to agree with RC90 looks like Honda doesn't care about Nicky, seems they want Danny boy to shine.I don't understand if they want to get the US people behind MotoGP I would think they would support Nicky the 2006 GP champ. It's nice to see some of the new 250 boys in GP doing well. I'm not a Lorenzo fan he seems to be another Pedrosa to me only better. I always thought the 250's were harder to be good on because you had to be real smooth now that looks to translate into the 800's better than the 1000's. We will see as the year goes on.

post #7 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I would still like to see Nicky get competitive, but I'm beginning to agree with you Jet. Sooner or later you have to come to the conclusion that it's not the fault of the bike or the tires....

But, it's just the first race. Maybe they'll figure something out.
Well, going by this Rossi should be shot then? I mean, he was 13secs behind the first guy on Bridgestones and 8secs behind his rookie teammate on Michelins. Wasn't he (Rossi) the one that biotched and whined about the fact that w/o the Bridgestone tires he was unable to take the fight to Stoner and that the only reason why Stoner was winning was because of the tires?

post #8 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sorry to rain on Nicky's parade, but as someone said at some point it is no longer the 2007 or 2008 Bike. It is no longer Michelin vs. Bridgestone tires. It is... well you know the rest. I like Nicky, and would love to see him immensely successful, but it looks like it just ain't happenin.

Jimmy Lad Toseland was on an underpowered Yammie, but he gave the race leaders a bloody good run for their money. So did Colin at the start. Regardless of the year of the bike, I would think Nicky could have placed higher. But what do I know? I don't even have a bike anymore.

Now... as far as Casey The Bronco Stoner.... what can I say?

post #9 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I must agree. As I stated a while back, his heads no longer in the game. He's gone Hollywood. It's now too late tt come back. There is better talent on the track now.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #10 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Jimmy Lad Toseland was on an underpowered Yammie, but he gave the race leaders a bloody good run for their money. So did Colin at the start. Regardless of the year of the bike, I would think Nicky could have placed higher. But what do I know? I don't even have a bike anymore.
I can't wait to see how Toseland does if Yamaha gives him the pneumatic valve engine. To be pushing that hard on Rossi without the same equipment? Ought to make things a little more interesting when the engines match.

-Joe
post #11 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can see Nicky doing better next race. It seems he hasn't done too well at Qatar in the past. He was fastest at the last test for Jerez. I believe HRC doesn't put all their eggs in Nickys basket. Dani performance looked good in the beginning then adrenaline wore off. He has more top speed because he is at 40# lighter than Nicky. Stoner was on another level look out for Lorenzo. I won't be surprised if he puts it on top of the box a couple of times.

post #12 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

I recall lots of this talk before the Kid own a Championship!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #13 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Believe me, I hope he makes me eat my words. But it just looks like the competition got better, and he hasn't. Hopefully he can turn things around. But I wouldn't bet on it.

-Joe
post #14 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I recall lots of this talk before the Kid own a Championship!
I like Nicky. He's honest, straightforward, speaks his mind and is a gentleman. All are fantastic qualities I look for in people who I enjoy being around. He's just not much of a racer lately and it saddens me to know that unless something immediate and immense changes he'll fade to midpack and that's where he'll finish.

post #15 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^^^ - He is a great guy, I just wish stupid Honda would take as good care of him as he has done for them - but, this all boils down to why I dont like Honda, you win for them and them get brushed away - But , thats another rant --

How about Lorenzo ! What a ride !

post #16 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

You guys still haven't figured out, now matter how much you don't want to admit it, but Pedrosa has more talent than Nicky and is a better rider! If you were Honda, what would you do? It's a business... remember.

post #17 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Well i think Nicky's got the talent and there's probably multiple issues holding him back. Remember Stoner didn't do well because he was getting lesser tires from Michelin, once he started getting better tires he became champ. I think the racing at this level takes the absolute best of everything (tires, mech, setup, rider, etc.)to win. it's hard to know what's happening for sure, but let's not forget politics is can be found anywhere there's big money at stake.

post #18 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

RE:

Just my 2cents worth. I always liked Nickey. He's very talented, as the whole family is. I'm no GP expert by any means, but, I do know athletes. He's been on top for several years, and he may be losing his fire. Winning may not be as important as it once was. Someone mentioned Hollywood, and that fast lifestyle that's snatching up young stars, sometimes helps them start losing. Look at the number of pro ball players that don't know how to act sensible in the big times. They get overwhelmed by all the applause they get. Training starts getting in the way of being a celeb. And like all big Sports Organisations, they pay you to win. I don't know what the problem really is, but, he's always been one of my favorites. I hope he works it out, but, if not, " Thanks Nickey for letting us watch you defy gravity while riding a missle!"

[
post #19 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I'd like to see NIcky come back to AMA & kick some Maladin butt... damn those were the good ole days.

post #20 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Awards Showcase

I still feel that Honda is doing something to his bike w/o really doing something to his bike... get it?

I hate to say it because I am a honda fan and it is probably to late for Nicky but staying with Honda will not be his best bet.

post #21 of 73 Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
I hate to say it because I am a honda fan and it is probably to late for Nicky but staying with Honda will not be his best bet.
Yeah i wonder why he's so loyal to Honda anyway. You know the kid could get a ride from another team.

post #22 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yeah i wonder why he's so loyal to Honda anyway. You know the kid could get a ride from another team.
Because he's old school, in that regard. Used to be, years ago, people stayed loyal to things. Family, jobs, teams, etc. Hayden still has that quality, which is something missing from a lot of professional sports nowadays. I admire him for that, but I hope that this is his last year with Honda.

-Joe
post #23 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Hayden doesn't ride for Honda.
He rides for HRC and Repsol.
vast difference.

post #24 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Time to ban traction control and go back to good old seat of the pants racing...that's where NH do best.

post #25 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
Time to ban traction control and go back to good old seat of the pants racing...that's where NH do best.
Pedrosa would be dead on the sighting lap.

post #26 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

As much as I admire Nicky, one must wonder. Pedrosa is certainly not one of our favorite riders however they are teammates. Pedrosa placed 2nd. in the 2007 final standings vs. Hayden's 8th. This year Dani podiums while Nicky is bringing up the rear in the 10th spot. Seems as though he never came to terms with the new 800 cc bikes.

post #27 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Okay... Fine. I am about to get flamed to death.

What is missing is the heart of a champion. Whether it is a pro-baller, a golfer or a motorbike racer.

You have to push yourself to that point of do or die - literally. I am sorry to say this, but I don't think Nicky has the bit between his teeth anymore, like there is no more fire.

He won that one Championship and it almost seems like he said, "There, I have done it. I am done." Even then, I thought he should have won that year with an exclamation mark - like Stoner did it.

We can talk about Stoner having problems all we want - with tires, bike, etc. The point is the kid never gave up, he rode the crap out of whatever bike you gave him... so there was the fire for Ducati to work with, they just had to teach him how to race with his head a bit more or be a bit more calculated.

I am sorry to say it was the same concerns I had about Colin Edwards. I have always and will always be a big fan of his, but I think he heart is no longer in it. Say what you will about Cocky Mladin, he still goes out there to win. Our guys like Nicky and Colin need to find the fire again - race to win or crash the friggin bike out so HRC can get you something better.

If you are not proving that the machine is truly under developed, there is no reason to give you a new one. Does anyone think Yamaha is going to give Toseland a new bike or his team? HELL YEAH! He has shown he "wants" to win.

Pedrosa may be a little sh*te head, but he still rides to win. You can look at any professional sport arena - F1, Indy, IRL, Football, and Motorbike racing. At one point, it is your heart, fire and desire to win that decides who is on the podium.

I know a kid who raced in Daytona 200 on a stock Honda 600 and was able to qualify in the top ten, and almost made it into 27th position.

Okay... CBRXX just gave me a weird look, so I will shut up now.

post #28 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Exactly!

What he said.

post #29 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
Exactly!

What he said.
Thanks! And with that impressive speech, I think I am ready to launch my political career. I hear there is a vacancy in NYC for a Governor. It offers 5 Diamond Level Hospitality

post #30 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Thanks! And with that impressive speech, I think I am ready to launch my political career. I hear there is a vacancy in NYC for a Governor. It offers 5 Diamond Level Hospitality
Yah, but you must like women! You homo ... sa ... pien

post #31 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Yah, but you must like women! You homo ... sa ... pien
Ummm.... I like Sporty. Doesn't that count? And..... if I go ghei, do I get a special CBRXXRC90 discount off my 5 Diamond price ?!?!

post #32 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ummm.... I like Sporty. Doesn't that count? And..... if I go ghei, do I get a special CBRXXRC90 discount off my 5 Diamond price ?!?!
You know I'm a 10 Diamond muffin! My booty will cost you!

post #33 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Good replies from WIM... Then the thread turns ghei. Get back on track you homos!

post #34 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Good replies from WIM... Then the thread turns ghei. Get back on track you homos!
Sorry Mike, it happens whenever you get WIM and RC90 in the same place!

As, stated earlier (several times), Nicky has gone to Hollywood. He's lost heart, not the talent! The hunger to win is gone and don't know he will get it back?

post #35 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Nicky was good enough to win a season that was bad enough to cripple riders who would've otherwise made a Nicky championship practically impossible.

Right place at the right time and just good enough.

post #36 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Good replies from who ?!?! Sure you got the right person? And what do you mean "You Homos"? I thought you were not just a player, but you were also the President....

Anyway... back to the issue. Look how Hopper brought his game up last season, he got the right accolades and recognition. I hope he can keep it up. The point is there is only so much your support system can do. At the end of the day - you the individual has got to want to win it all... at whatever cost. It is like some people say, there is no "next race", no tomorrow. It is all on the line that day, that race, that moment.

Nicky is a nice guy, so is Stoner, so is Rossi. But when it is race time, it is you and that checkered flag. After the race, then be nice again. But... I don't think it is an issue of Nicky being nice or not. It is just who wants to win it the most.

Look at what his brothers are doing in AMA. That is FIRE! These guys want it bad. I don't know what Nicky is going through, I don't know what is in his mind... but he needs to get it right and do it or get out of it.

Can you tell I am bored today?

post #37 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think you're all reacting a little soon because he wasn't up there this weekend on an '07 (hasty choice) in the dark. Some people handled it fine, some didn't. It was a fluke race that can't determine the whole of the season to come. Give it a couple races and then come back to this. RC90 is right.

post #38 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

nah, I've had this feeling about him for a while now. Don't get me wrong, really like The Kid, big fan, hell we come from the same state, have the same number of letters in our first name, we're practically cousins.
But he's done.

post #39 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Some may find it hard to believe I am a Nicky fan.... but I AM!

I truly think there is more than wantign to win at that level... last year all we heard about was how bad the Mich tires were. Ducati got a HUGE head start on the 800cc machine over EVERYONE! Stoners bike was visually quicker on the straights during several races... so much so it looked embarrassing.

Honda is running two different chasis and engines already this year? Hmmmm... I dont trust them any more than Rossi did. He saw the light... and ran. Lets not forget how HRC treats their riders...

I dont know where I would like to see him land... but a #1 seat on any manufacturer would be good in my eyes. His he the #1 or #2 rider for HRC right now?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #40 of 73 Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
nah, I've had this feeling about him for a while now. Don't get me wrong, really like The Kid, big fan, hell we come from the same state, have the same number of letters in our first name, we're practically cousins.
But he's done.
OH MY GOD....

Can I get a Moderator to paste lock this here statement for me for about 7 months? Matter of fact... make it his signature...

I don't want this to be forgotten...

Kevin.... the LOVE man.... for a brother... you lost me man... you lost me!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode