Honda out of AMA - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Honda out of AMA

Wow.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35171

Fresh off a successful run at the AMA Pro Racing tire test at Daytona International Speedway, American Honda has announced that it will not field a factory American Superbike team in the 2009 AMA Pro road racing series.

Factory team mechanics who were told just weeks ago that they could bank on the fact that American Honda would go road racing one way or another because racing is in the company's genes, are now jobless.

Read American Honda's announcement below:

American Honda withdraws from AMA road racing

Torrance CA: American Honda announced today that it will withdraw Team Honda from participation in the 2009 AMA Roadracing Series. This was an extremely difficult decision to make as the racing spirit reaches to the very core of Honda.

The primary factor contributing to this decision is the current global economic situation and its impact on Honda. Although Team Honda will not be in attendance, Honda will continue to be represented in AMA Roadracing through our ongoing support of both the Erion Honda Racing and Corona Honda Racing teams.

Entering the second year of our partnership with Red Bull Energy Drink, the Honda Red Bull Racing team will return for the 2009 Supercross and National Motocross season with a full roster of factory riders.

American Honda's factory and support teams have earned more than 100 national titles in U.S. Road Racing, ATV, Supermoto, Supercross, Motocross and off-road competition, and we would like to extend our deepest thanks to all the sponsors, supporters and fans of our racing efforts over the years.

We ask that you continue to support the Honda Red Bull Racing team, the Erion Honda Racing team and the Corona Honda Racing team along with all the other Honda Red Riders as they chase the championships and battle for each victory.

While it is unfortunate that the current economic conditions led us to take this action, rest assured that Honda's deep-seated passion for racing has not been, and will never be, diminished.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Do you think Suzuki's dominance in Superbike played a roll?
Looks like my buddy Neil Hodgson is once again out of work.

post #3 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 09:15 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

No, I think the new homologation rules was the major reason for the pullout.
That would be somewhat related to the "current global economic situation".

EDIT: Roger Edmondson's response:

"We had high hopes for the AMA Roadracing Series in 2009 with a full lineup of events, sponsors and hugely increased purses. The level of excitement was contagious and all of us here at DMG along with the event promoters and manufacturers were eagerly awaiting the start of the season and what a start it would have been under the lights of Daytona. Then, totally unexpectedly and without any warning, we were informed that Honda would not be participating. Without Honda, there would be no reason for the AMA Roadracing Series to continue or even exist. Therefore, it with a very heavy heart, after consultation with all parties, the promoters, the other manufacturers and sponsors, that DMG is hereby announcing the cancellation of the 2009 season."

post #4 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Well so we can now watch Yamaha dominate the series. Geez not much different than Suzuki. I hope DMG realize people aren't going to be coming in droves to see Bostrom & Hayes dominate a bunch of also rans. I'm sure the global economy has alot to do with it.
Let's hope Larry Pegram & Zemke can make it a show

post #5 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoR6 View Post
Let's hope Larry Pegram & Zemke can make it a show
Let's hope there is a 2009 AMA season.

post #6 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

What happened, Yamaha's new bike was much better than Hondas and they saw no reason to compete? Jeezzz.

Not that the AMA & DMG made a big circus out of the whole AMA racing but this is really embarrasing don't you think?

Oh well, I am not going to be missing anything since I have not watch much of the Suzuki Cup for the last two or three years.

I'll be content with WSBK & MotoGP for next year.

I do feel very sorry & sad for hayes because if there is a guy deserving a SBK ride, it was him.

post #7 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

This sux for the series, whether you like/agree with the new rules package or not. The absence of one of the big 4 only stands to weaken it!

I see it this way........there are a limited # of fans already. I'm gonna go ahead and bet that lots of them were Honda weenies. The fact that Erion and Corona run satellite teams will be no consolation to them. Fewer fans at the gate WILL make a series GO AWAY. Lower ratings wil make a series EVAPORATE INTO NOTHINGNESS.

No TV no gate bye bye racing in America.

And I'm guessing that this has little to do with hard times, so much as a protest of the rules package. Honda thought its vaunted CBR1000RR had no shot in DMG trim. (like they did before......?). So they don't wanna play in the sandbox....and they are calling DMG's bluff for next year.....problem is it could set the series back 10 yrs.

Hey man I like MOTOGP'/WSBK as much as the next guy but liked a little home grown nonsense as well. This series bred good racers. Shame if it dries up.

post #8 of 29 Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Centurion

I dont follow road racing, but I read my AMA magazine every month & from what I read the fact that AMA was selling the series resulted in 2 "camps" & it was unknown if the manufacturers would follow along. I think that was the main reason, yes maybe the economy helped the decision, but the other was the root cause. IMHO

post #9 of 29 Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You are right Bryce. Honda is pulling out of racing because of the economic downswing around the world. They feel their money is better spent on building cars then racing. In fact they are also pulling out of formula 1 racing as well. It all comes down to $$$$. Honda will save something like $296 million by pulling out of formula 1. Add what it costs for AMA and that is a lot of $$$$.

post #10 of 29 Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Gentlemen, Personally I see this more as pre-emptive moves and political moves. Racing programs may be supported by major manufacturers like Honda and the like. However, do remember that teams have to raise sponsorship money to field a team. Having a Factory team is just the start of things to field a racing team.

Additionally, even though honda may stand to save up to $300M or more by quitting racing, a lot of that money spent is part of their R&D budget. Don't forget, V-TEC was developed during the era of Senna and Mansell in FORMULA 1 CARS! Yep... that was all R&D. Paddle shifters first appeared on Ferrari Formula 1 Cars, that technology was then filtered down to our nice cars on the streets today.

Similarly with motorcycling, racing is a platform for manufacturers to test new theories, designs and the like. Look at Ducati and their V-4 engine, Yamaha and Honda and their current chassis designs. Everything filters down. Indeed, the economy plays a part in these matters - but you also have to look at it from another aspect. To me, economic impact is more because we the supporters may not be able to afford to go to races, watch races and buy, buy, buy on Mondays like we used to.

If the manufacturers put a lot into the race effort, they essentially get an R&D program that has a lot of it's costs off set by none other than us the race fans. However, if they are no longer able to off set a lot of those costs - either because we don't like the new rules and won't watch, or we just can't bloody afford it anymore. Then they can actually arrive at this decision. BUT - they will still have that R&D budget.

Just my few cents...

post #11 of 29 Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post

Roger Edmondson:
"We had high hopes for the AMA Roadracing Series in 2009 with a full lineup of events, sponsors and hugely increased purses. The level of excitement was contagious and all of us here at DMG along with the event promoters and manufacturers were eagerly awaiting the start of the season and what a start it would have been under the lights of Daytona. Then, totally unexpectedly and without any warning, we were informed that Honda would not be participating. Without Honda, there would be no reason for the AMA Roadracing Series to continue or even exist. Therefore, it with a very heavy heart, after consultation with all parties, the promoters, the other manufacturers and sponsors, that DMG is hereby announcing the cancellation of the 2009 season."
So, is this just a bluff?

post #12 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Looks like my buddy Neil Hodgson is once again out of work.
Not yet: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...&article=35180

EDIT: He was the fastest at the tire test:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081207bj.htm

post #13 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
This sux for the series, whether you like/agree with the new rules package or not. The absence of one of the big 4 only stands to weaken it!

I see it this way........there are a limited # of fans already. I'm gonna go ahead and bet that lots of them were Honda weenies.

Hey man I like MOTOGP'/WSBK as much as the next guy but liked a little home grown nonsense as well. This series bred good racers. Shame if it dries up.
1 - Amen !! Its no secret I dont like Honda, but ,I hateto see thme go. I thought it was kind of strange when I read that Al Ludington had left Honda to be the Tech enforcer for DMG - I thoght that was kind of a foreshadowing tyep event --

2 - Yep, alot of DuHamel fans out there ,for some reason --

3 - Yep , I miss the days of having Americans battling for the lead of GP and MSBK - Alot of people dont rember that the very first WSBK champion was an American - Fred Merkel --

If the manufacturers put a lot into the race effort, they essentially get an R&D program that has a lot of it's costs off set by none other than us the race fans. However, if they are no longer able to off set a lot of those costs - either because we don't like the new rules and won't watch, or we just can't bloody afford it anymore. Then they can actually arrive at this decision. BUT - they will still have that R&D budget.

Now, most delveopment will be done on the world scene - Like Mel Harris said " Japan doesnt test bikes in the American series, they sell them because of it "

Basically, this boils down to how we asfans will recieve it - Me, personally, I wanted to see rules that would put our series in line with the WSBK series right out of the gate - This would do a couple of things - 1. It would allow for an even playing filed for our guys to compete on a wild card basis without much trouble 2. It would promote WSBK guys making the long trip over to compete @ Daytona, just like they used to do .I LOVED seeing Carl Foggarty hammering through the International Horse shoe back in the day !
I wasnt a big proponet for this DMG thing, and Im still not 100% on it but ,In taalking with some of the people who are more in the scen than I and seeing how they are excited, Im being cautiously optomistic - Guess the only thing left to do is wait and see - Daytona will be here before you know it !

post #14 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Twisted Wrister

What are the new rules? Why can't Honda compete? Will someone sum it up and give me the Cliffs Notes. What's going on ? Thanks.

post #15 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERAV View Post
What are the new rules? Why can't Honda compete? Will someone sum it up and give me the Cliffs Notes. What's going on ? Thanks.
Hondas says they are out due to " the current economic conditions " -- Not for sure if its due to the rules or not -

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081215o92wa.htm

Honda's Friday announcement that they are pulling their factory team from the 2009 DMG/AMA Superbike series didn't come as a huge surprise. The current economic meltdown and its effects on the Honda automobile market continues to trickle bad news down to nearly every sector of Honda's worldwide market.

Seems like the big thing everyone is really getting hung up on are 16.5 inch wheels vs. 17 inch. DMG says they must use stock size, while they have been using 16.5 - There are some other issues , like stock cranks ( which should be AM due to the strains they are under ) , stock connecting rods and pistons etc. Theres more, but, it gets boring --

post #16 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Twisted Wrister

Thanks. Crappy move it is. It's all about the $. Maybe they think they have a shot at a few wins.....................................while spending a fraction of the coin.

post #17 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Yeah - maybe if Honda had kept making Motorcycles thier priority instead of cars , jets and all the other crap they are into now , they would going racing next year ! Im sure Mr. Honda is rolling in his grave with these latest events!

post #18 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Looks like Suzuki is bowing out of the WRC -
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...ategoryId=2704

Wonder if somethings a brewing ?!?

post #19 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can't help but think something is brewing. Are we about to experience the mother of all recessions worldwide? All these events are alarmingly ominous!

post #20 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

--And of course, as we start to mave /travel and spend a bit, OPEc cuts production and oil prices start going up --

post #21 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

But, on a lighter note, Jim just posted this wonderful; promo form Hondas racing past - I rember seeing this at my local dealership, they had just gotten a VCR and this was one of the first clips they played on it --

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Dec/081216z.htm

post #22 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Looks like Suzuki is bowing out of the WRC -
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...ategoryId=2704

Wonder if somethings a brewing ?!?
& now Subaru too!! Thats like Harley pulling out of Sturgis!!

post #23 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Awards Showcase

WTF? Is Honda out of MotoGP too?

Can someone translate this?

http://www.motociclismo.es/Deporte/h...sp%3Fid%3D6246

Good news for Hodgson: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35182

post #24 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

From what I could surmise, that article is mostly speculative,,,,apparrently Honda's gonna make an announcement about their international racing efforts soon, re F1 and possibly MotoGP.

Sounds like a mostly "what if?" kinda article but you never know.

post #25 of 29 Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Ayer mismo anunciábamos que Suzuki abandonaba el Mundial de Rallies para asegurar su participación en MotoGP, y nos remitíamos a la noticia, que publicamos varios días antes, de que Honda había hecho lo mismo en F1, pero hoy ha dado un vuelco la historia pues los japoneses, a pesar de las declaraciones que afirmaban lo contrario, ya no están tan seguros de seguir adelante en MotoGP. El próximo viernes Takeo Fukui, presidente de Honda, pondrá los puntos sobre las íes en su discurso de final de año y entonces sabremos a ciencia cierta las decisiones tomadas por la marca nipona.
just yesterday we announced that suzuki had abandoned the world of rallies?! to assure their participation in motogp.. we put out the news several days before that honda did the same for F1...but today there is a turnaround in the story as the japonese are not sure they are going to continue on in motogp...this coming friday that japonese dude is gonna make a announcement in his end of the year speach and then we will know the certain science of the decisions of the japonese maker.....

thats the best i can translate it for you....

post #26 of 29 Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Maybe Dani will be out of a Job !! Waahhhaaa !!

post #27 of 29 Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

danika patrick......hmmmm... i can think of a few jobs available around my house...lol

post #28 of 29 Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
danika patrick......hmmmm... i can think of a few jobs available around my house...lol
Nope, Dani " Nicky isnt a good delvopment rider" Pedrosa - sawed off runt

No, Ms. Patrick, meow !

post #29 of 29 Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Awards Showcase

Smart move by AMA:
Currently Approved Motorcycles to Remain Eligible for 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing Season
Approved Motorcycles Grandfathered; New Model Applications Now Being Accepted At AMA Pro
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (December 18, 2008) - Ensuring that competitors will be able to continue to race motorcycles from a large pool of proven products and models, AMA Pro Racing announced today that all currently approved motorcycles from this past road racing season will remain certified and eligible for competition in 2009. The continuation is part of AMA Pro Road Racing's overall 2009 motorcycle approval procedure which was opened for applications last week.

The grandfather clause applies to motorcycles that were previously approved for Formula Xtreme and SuperSport competition and which are now eligible in the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike and AMA Pro SuperSport championships. Previously approved Superbikes are also automatically eligible for AMA Pro American Superbike competition.

No renewal applications or fees are required for currently approved makes and models to remain eligible, but all motorcycles must be brought into compliance with current 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing specifications for their respective classes. This rules compliance also applies to any after-market parts on the current-specification motorcycles that may or may not be eligible within the new regulations.

"AMA Pro Road Racing will always be an arena available to manufacturers to showcase their latest and most exciting products," said AMA Pro Racing President Roger Edmondson. "It is equally important, however, that our teams and riders have unhindered access to a broad pipeline of competitive and contemporary motorcycles, and our 2009 homologation and motorcycle approval policy meets those objectives."

New or previously uncertified motorcycles may now be submitted for homologation. Manufacturers or distributors interested in submitting a motorcycle for approval for competition in any of the three AMA Pro Road Racing classes can download all of the required forms, guidelines and applications at www.amaproracing.com/prorace/forms.asp. A $500 homologation fee for new or previously unapproved motorcycles submitted for approval in each of the three series must accompany all applications.

All eligible motorcycles must be four-stroke production models certified for street use in the United States. Approval is required for every new model year even if the current motorcycle in production is identical to a previous year's model. All submitted motorcycles must also be available in sufficient quantities at U.S. retail dealers at the time each make and model enters competition.

The online forms provide detailed lists of the various parts and components that must be delivered with all submitted motorcycles, in addition to required photographs, factory service manuals, parts lists and sales brochures. All submitted motorcycles and the related parts and information must be received in AMA Pro's Daytona Beach headquarters no later than 30 days prior to the first event in which the new model will compete.

Inquiries about the 2009 motorcycle homologation process may be sent to [email protected].

The 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing season begins at Daytona International Speedway the first weekend in March and will feature the first Daytona 200 by Honda under the lights, Friday, March 6. The opening weekend at Daytona also features American Superbike and SuperSport races in addition to other AMA Pro Road Racing series.
AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. From its Daytona Beach headquarters, the organization operates and manages AMA Pro Road Racing, which includes AMA Pro American Superbike, AMA Pro Daytona SportBike, AMA Pro SuperSport, AMA Pro SunTrust Moto-GT and the Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup in addition to the AMA Pro Flat Track Championship. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode