Going back for more... TD#2 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Going back for more... TD#2

Ok, VIR south, NESBA, this saturday, the 5th. Anyone gonna be there?
Any tips? Suggestions for a rookie on a 1k.

Mike, I may need to borrow your trailer last minute, if it can fit 2 bikes. summit, jefferson course was a blast, but I'm looking fwd to opening up the bike. I've only really ridden once since my last trackday, but while messing around in pungo, in squid mode, I think I've figured out the main issues with my form, so we'll see if I can make it stick on saturday.
We're gonna take august off, give the wallets some recovery time, but we'll probably be hitting summit, jeffereson again in sept, since the main course is a little torn up. But if they fix it I guess we'll try for that. Nothing else planned after sept, but we def want to try another. I'm pushing for a trip to road atl, but we'll see.

In the mean time, vir south, here I come.
Any advice, tips welcome.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Tip: Trackdays are to be fun. Wrecking is not fun... DO not over do it.

You are weldcome to the trailer any time. You may need to come over here and help me clean it up. It has not moved in quite a while.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 38 Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Oh yeah. No doubt. Last time I was making a lot of mistakes and just didn't feel right. Came in for 5 and went back out. Rode a lot better. I don't push it too much.

Quote:
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.

post #4 of 38 Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Dragon Slayer

I have done a few track days myself. Set your own pace. Get to know the track. Try for consistency first. Once that comes the lap times will follow.
I will pass along some advice a 70 year old guy in racing leathers on a Aprillia Mille Factory told me once at the track. "Look through the corner, lean into it, believe you will make it through." I am tapped out for this year, but next I plan on doing Black-hawk Farms and Autobahn North.

post #5 of 38 Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Weather forecast has changed from clear skies and a high of 88. To 40% chance of noon thunder storms

We need to sacrifice a virgin to the rain Gods. Anyone want to give up their daughter?

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

That little South Course is one of my faves, I used to go pretty good there,.

Watch out for two turns in particular.......

The carousel out back that goes around the corner station.....there is a transition there that can get you unsettled and little lowsides are very common there.......follow the coaches through there and find a line (and throttle input!!!) that works well. A gear too high thru this is an OK thing, at least while you're learning it, if not all day.

The next is the high speed kink that follows......plan on ROLLING OFF through there on your big 1000. This is a high speed bit and missing it will be a painful endeavor.....Turn in a scooch late, hit that apex hard, and you'll have plenty of room to power out cleanly.

It's a great little track to bust your cherry on. You'll enjoy it immensely. The last few tidbits are this:

Watch tire pressures in that July heat.(see tech inspectors)

Watch yourself in that July heat (hydrate!!)

Take it easy. Concentrate on smoothness and the speed will come. You will not be Vale Rossi at day's end. But you won't be the same old you, either.

post #7 of 38 Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post

The next is the high speed kink that follows......plan on ROLLING OFF through there on your big 1000. This is a high speed bit and missing it will be a painful endeavor.....Turn in a scooch late, hit that apex hard, and you'll have plenty of room to power out cleanly.
Not to mention carrying a wheel all the way down after the kink.....

Good times and fun there.

Spoiler:
post #8 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

What turns are these, I've been watching these videos on youtube when I get a chance but for some reason your description has me drawing a blank.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #9 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

T10 south course.

Spoiler:
post #10 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

you also better be careful of turn one, especially on a 1000. Notice what they call it. : )

South course is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

+ $5

post #11 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
What turns are these, I've been watching these videos on youtube when I get a chance but for some reason your description has me drawing a blank.
I was talking about 7/8 and 10

post #12 of 38 Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

T1, 7, 8 and 10. Got it. Sounds like a VERY interesting track. Damn it only monday

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

ah, found some new videos, i see what you guys are talking about now.
track looks silly man, i cant wait.
praying to the rain gods

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Mike, what size is your trailer?

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I forget.

Holds two sportbikes.

Spoiler:
post #16 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Hey Skin, if you feel like you're approaching a corner too hot just lean into and take it anyway. taking the run-off by standing up the bike is a common newb mistake that can cost you lots of $$ and can hurt like hell. Control the panic and trust your bike and skill. if you find that you're freaking out at the speed just back it off a little until you're ready for more.
This is all TD riders meeting info that didn't stick with me when i first started and it cost me.

Have fun!

post #17 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
Hey Skin, if you feel like you're approaching a corner too hot just lean into and take it anyway. taking the run-off by standing up the bike is a common newb mistake that can cost you lots of $$ and can hurt like hell. Control the panic and trust your bike and skill. if you find that you're freaking out at the speed just back it off a little until you're ready for more.
This is all TD riders meeting info that didn't stick with me when i first started and it cost me.

Have fun!
I did this at summit Jefferson last time, I wa following this Italian cat that had been there since friday (this was sunday) I caught up to him at the end of the main straight and was carrying a lot more speed than I normally did, he braked hard and late, it was either run up his ass or cut inside, I cut inside trail braked as much as I could, by then all I saw was me leaned over heading wide and off the track, I snapped out of it and pulled that mofo back in, and went on my way. I was kind of suprized he didn't pass me on the inside as wide as I went, but he didn't. And while I was a lil scared when I thought I was too hot and was gonna run off the track, it felt great saving it, and even better knowing my bike basically goes where I tell her.

Mike, I may be borrowing the trailer on friday, my partners bro is supposed to rent a trailer for us on base, but he isn't the most reliable person, and we really don't wanna do the whole ramp 2 bikes into the back of a full sized p/up thingy.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

just let me know. Sooner the better.

Spoiler:
post #19 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Don't ask me why I say this, but make sure you get plenty of rest the night before.

post #20 of 38 Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
I did this at summit Jefferson last time, I wa following this Italian cat that had been there since friday (this was sunday) I caught up to him at the end of the main straight and was carrying a lot more speed than I normally did, he braked hard and late, it was either run up his ass or cut inside, I cut inside trail braked as much as I could, by then all I saw was me leaned over heading wide and off the track, I snapped out of it and pulled that mofo back in, and went on my way. I was kind of suprized he didn't pass me on the inside as wide as I went, but he didn't. And while I was a lil scared when I thought I was too hot and was gonna run off the track, it felt great saving it, and even better knowing my bike basically goes where I tell her.
Awesome.

post #21 of 38 Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

No doubt, we leave friday afternoon, that way we can set up and chill. We're not camping out, we're getting a hotel this time, so no fighting bugs and stuff.

Up early, and ready to go, after I take my mandatory TD morning poop.

Do u guys still poop at the track even after you've done several, or even been at that track before?
If not, once the poop goes away, does that mean you're used to it now, and its lost a bit of its edge?
If you don't poop in the AM do u find yourself running to the head after a session or two?

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Awards Showcase

So how was your second track day, Snik?

WTF No pictures?

Mine is less than 8 hours away. Gotta get some sleep.

post #23 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

it was fricking awesome.

it startd pouring at 0630 but by 830 itr had stopped, there were 2 advanced guys so they didnt do much as far as drying out the track.

the intermediate grp was full, they went out and dried it up pretty good. its stayed overcast almost all morning. the beginner grp was full too, i babied it, i was scared, damp track, and supercorsas plus 1000cc dont mix AT ALL.

so i just went out there and got a feel for the track.
cats were crashing left and right, just pushing too soon, man, lots of lowsides exiting turn 1, a few over shot it, a lot of em ran of at turn 7

no one crashed at 11 or 11a, but the oaktree stayed damp pretty much until in the afternoon after lunch.

turn one is a mofo, that thing scared me everytime i cam ove the crest of the hill, but by noon i had it, and i had figured out how to late apex it so i didnt run wide to the rumble strip.

the oaktree didnt stop bothering me until it was completely died out.

the last 2 sessions i ran some really good times, i was stuck on a best of 1:23.00 but i started folowing a CR that was working with a guy on a gixxer 1000 that was pretty fast and i got a few more tircks on the race lines, and by the time that session ended i ran a 1.20.75.

the last session there was this CR that was just circulationg not really working with anyone just flying around the track, i saw him way up ahead and decided to close on him, i think he had a 750, not sure tho, could be a a 6.
anyway i stayed on him, he was passing in corners as he could, but i coulnt, so i had to be setting mofos up like crazy, i kept at it the entire session and by the time i caught up to him it was the last lap, and i stayed with him, until he took a few guys going into turn 4 so i had to chill till after 6, and when i came in, i had a 1.19.98 felt pretty good man, the CR and a few I guys said that was intermediate pace and i should have tried to get the bump, but i dont feel im ready yet, i was still working on my position and late braking more, as i trail braked going into 1 every lap, but i still feel i can brake later, especially since with those SBK lines i put on friday and my ole trusty vesrah RJL pads.

all in all it was a great day, VIR south is a very good track, no pics yet, wehn i went ot buy the CD the guys had shut down for the day, and im not sure if im gonna buy it because last i saw he only had 28 pics of me, im not spending the money for 28 damn pics, altho some looked real good and my form is getting a lot better. hell im dragging toes now, i dragged toes on T1 and T6. i did have a camcorder mounted the 1st and 2nd session, but it kept shutting off after about 2 mins, i guess from the vibration. and on the last session we ask our neighbor to record us as he sat it out. so once i get those clips sorted out, ill share em.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Sounds like fun. a 1:19 is respectable for being your first time seeing the track. T7 is always my worst corner out there, but that usually is due to always hitting traffic in that area. Very rarely have I gotten a clean look at it.

Gbord has run off there many times! I know I have witnessed it and I think Dayrock has seen it as well.

BTW, I think I saw you out on Friday (near HomeDepot on Princess Anne Rd).
If it was not you, someone else has Seven Stars

Spoiler:
post #25 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Sounds like fun. a 1:19 is respectable for being your first time seeing the track. T7 is always my worst corner out there, but that usually is due to always hitting traffic in that area. Very rarely have I gotten a clean look at it.

Gbord has run off there many times! I know I have witnessed it and I think Dayrock has seen it as well.

BTW, I think I saw you out on Friday (near HomeDepot on Princess Anne Rd).
If it was not you, someone else has Seven Stars
naw, wasnt me. We had an enclosed trailer, and i had already done my lights the week prior. there is a guy with a 600 with the same kit, well kinda, his is stickers, and ive heard of another 1000 with the plastics too.
i got a couple clean shots at 7, i watched a guy lowside rigth infront of me on 7, i was behind him and just on his outside. if i was I and could pas on the outside he wouldve taken me out.
I didnt improve on T7 much tho, come to think of it i shouldve asked the CR whats the best line thru it, i couldve prolly shaved a few 10ths... that lil ripple or whatever coming out of 7, yeah i felt that on 2 seperate laps, but that was it. T10 is sick, i didnt have to let up, i only let up briefly to shift transition from right to left but i was on the throttle all the way thru it, got a few wheelies coming down the hill too.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

1:20 is good bo!!!!!

If you'da started with a nice dry track you'da probably done better.

Nice little track, glad you enjoyed it. Master that track and you will be a much improved rider, I promise.

post #27 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

^ yeah i probably would have now that you mention it.
my boy was having a crap day of sorts tho, i think hes getting old, i started calling him stiffy, he just cant bend him body into position to get that bike cranked over thru the corners.

our neighbor had a brane new K8, silver and white, very pretty. i liked it, he had a pretty good pace, but i could eat him thru most corners, i almost ran into him entering turn 4. i had to brake and go wide. there was this guy with a sick looking R6, marchesini wheels, ohlins shock, redone forks, supercorsas, using warmers, sick bike, he said he was a intermediate with TPM and a amateur racer, but his pace was a good couple seconds slower than mine. he was a consistent low 1:20s, i passed him on the brakes going into 7. but his friend, with a similar bike, sans the wheels, OMG, he was flying, he was one of the 2 advanced guys.... after session 2 i glanced at his timer and he was running 1:15s and he upped that pace considerably after lunch. he said its all seat time tho... all the fancy parts u can buy will only help so much, seat time is what makes the difference. i hear that bro....

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

tentative next date is summit main, sept 15th or whenever the sunday of that weekend is.

its gonna be a loooooooooooooonnng 2 month. i already feel the withdrawal symptoms coming

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Seat time is everything. It is smart to do suspension mods to get the bike set up for you. SS brake lines for safety. After a steering damper... it is time to invest in your riding, not in the bike.

If you learn and learn, it transfers to every bike you ride.

Those wheels look nice, but only work on the bike they were bought for.

Spoiler:
post #30 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
tentative next date is summit main, sept 15th or whenever the sunday of that weekend is.

its gonna be a loooooooooooooonnng 2 month. i already feel the withdrawal symptoms coming
Your back road riding will change. You will see it is not smart to run through there near your potential, but you will also see you are faster now than you ever were before and trying less.

Smooth is fast!

Spoiler:
post #31 of 38 Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

yeah ive already slowed down my backroad riding. its just getting scarier and scarier.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #32 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

look at me, look at me...

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Good looking picture in the most difficult corner.

Spoiler:
post #34 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

yeah 11a? thanks. once it had dried up towards the end of the day i started making a conscious effort to slide back on the seat and dip my head.

i looked crossed up as hell in 6 in a few of the pics, which would explain why i felt like i was drifting to the inner curb on some laps, but i think that also means i can carry more speed thru there too.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

good form dude! and +1 on what they said, seat time!!!! i've got lots of little goodies i've added over the past two years, but i honestly could run as fast without them (aside from the suspension bits). and glad to hear ya slowed it up some on the street, just think of all the track time you'd miss if you wadded up hard on the road (9 months for me...)

post #36 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Snik! You're having a blast and it shows!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #37 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
yeah 11a? thanks. once it had dried up towards the end of the day i started making a conscious effort to slide back on the seat and dip my head..
Quit calling it 11. Your a trackday guy now. Its the Oak tree corner

post #38 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Thanks guys, its truely awesome to be a part of the track addiction club. Several days go by I think of selling the bimmer for a pickup truck, but I just couldn't. Not in my right mind.

Yes, the oaktree corner is great, but I actually prefer turn 1.
Because as u crest that hill, the distance looks so short, and you have to bang out like 3 or 4 gears down from like 150mph for me, before a U turn, and swear it looks sharper and sharper every session. the oaktree wasn't as intimidating once it dried out completely, but man, that damn wall looks aweful close when your slicing that apex.

Vir south is great, but everyone says it doesn't have anything on the North course, but I don't know if ill make it to that one this year. Summit main is planned next, and we wanna finish out the season at NJMP.

Damn off season, I'll be like a crack fiend at rehab this winter

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode