Getting back into it - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Getting back into it

After a short hiatus, I intend to fully immerse myself in the track again next year. So, that gives me one year to set myself up. I have a cousin, and a few friends at the local shop that are racing WERA this year, and they have convinced me to give it a try. According to them, my times @ VIR should put me mid pack in superstock, so I figured why not give it a whirl. Now, comes my dilemna. I have never entertained the thought of amateur racing, so any hints, tips, suggestions are welcomed.

My first goal is securing a track tool. I have always had a soft spot for the SV-650, and it is at the top of my shopping list so far. My other cohorts are racing an RC-51, 2 GSXR-600's, and a GSXR-750. Obviously, the SV is not in the same performance class as these bikes, but I want a double-duty machine. I plan on keeping the Strom for long distance touring and such, but it is useless for corner carving, and riding with my friends on weekends. So, without rambling too much more, throw out some good (affordable) options for club racing.

After the bike, I can work on setting it up. (suspension, rearsets, etc...) Thanks, and hopefully i'll see you out there one day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

R6

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #3 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
If they'll allow it, the Ninja 636 isn't a bad bike. You can get used models for a decent price, too.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

post #4 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Since you're coming off of the Strom I have a 49cc Zoom pocket bike that might be more your speed to get back into racing. It'll do about 25mph with a good tail wind.

post #5 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

James,
The SV650 makes a excellent track bike. It also can double as a weekend tool for carving up the local twisties. One of our locals has such a bike and that is exactly what he does with it. The SV is more of a low budget race bike compared to a 600cc class sport bike. You can have just as much fun and at the same time be competitive. Another plus for the SV is the class or classes you will compete in. The 600cc super sport classes are for the most part made up of young "no fear" racers with something to prove. The SV 650 will attract a more mature racer who IMO for the most part will ride smarter.

That said, I think you will do well based on how I saw you ride at the Shin-dig. Very smooth!!!

post #6 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Thanks to everyone who had input so far. I guess it will boil down to which classes I feel like racing. On the upside, I get to monitor my friends as they race this year, and gather some insight to the organization. Track days will also be included for keeping my skill level where it needs to be.

post #7 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Hmmm, Suzuki SV650... I know someone who's going to be selling one soon, if you hurry up, he can delay ordering the Front Mask, drag bars, LED turn signals, cheesy A/M canister he was going to buy to re-sell the bike and cut you a good deal on said bike with AfterMarket fairings + Galfer Lines already in his possesion

post #8 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks Daniel, i'll email you later about it.

post #9 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

I think your best bet is to find a bike that you can race econimically. Just because racing is fun and it's a lot better to spend the money on more races than the bike. So the SV would be a good choice. Plus there are tons of parts available and a large database of modifications people have done.

Although, if your looking for an 05 salvaged RR, I know someone one here that has one.

post #10 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks Dayrock. I'm leaning heavily towards the SV for those very reasons. I don't know if I can do another RR right now.

post #11 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Ohhh and check the CCS and WERA forums. Tons of people selling bikes on there. You sold on CCS or WERA yet?

I think there is only 1 real SANDBAGGER wearing a yellow plate this year for CCS. The faster guys have either moved up to white or decided to go yellow with WERA, hahaha...

If you opt for CCS, you should do the two VIR races at least. Like June and October if memory serves.

post #12 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Honda RS250

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

You must have missed that part where I said affordable huh?

post #14 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Rags is always good for hot looking 250! If I could only be about 5" shorter and about 15lbs lighter...

post #15 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I'd go with an R6 or Gix6 they are relatively easy to find parts for and they are the $hit on the track.

post #16 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
You must have missed that part where I said affordable huh?
You can get a mid 90's RS250 for a few thousand bucks.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #17 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

what about parts? Unlike an SV, Gix6, etc... the RS is a rare breed at the track anymore. I agree that it would be a perma-grin everytime I heard it cranked up, but I worry about being at an event, and something happens that requires a spare part.

post #18 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Living the dream

I 2nd the SV nod. Need gear???
post #19 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you need a spare part you just call me, I have enough to build another one, had I a frame...

You can e-bay parts for that thing all the time. Or go to forums like these, parts all the time. It's not too often you need anything for one anyways. I put 10000 miles on my NSR250 without even one glitch.

I DID rebuild the top end of the engine once for fun. Cost about $115 and 3 hours without a clue to what I was doing. HRC will hook you up if you need a part, too.

Example

Nothing is as fun as those bikes.

Edit: Except maybe boobies.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #20 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR_Nate View Post
I 2nd the SV nod. Need gear???

Yes I will Nate. After selling my RR, I parted out all of my gear. The only thing I kept was my helmet.

post #21 of 32 Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
Ohhh and check the CCS and WERA forums. Tons of people selling bikes on there. You sold on CCS or WERA yet?

I think there is only 1 real SANDBAGGER wearing a yellow plate this year for CCS. The faster guys have either moved up to white or decided to go yellow with WERA, hahaha...

If you opt for CCS, you should do the two VIR races at least. Like June and October if memory serves.
Dunno, as I haven't looked at CCS yet. I was set on WERA, as that is who my friends will be racing with. I also need to get a CornerSpeed level I school done to qualify for my provisional.

post #22 of 32 Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

I think CS is at VIR on March 12th. Maybe doing a L1 then. If weather is good, i'll be there. Got a credit from last year I need to burn. And some cobwebs that need to be cleaned out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. I have another 03 600RR that would be race ready, less any suspension stuff you need to do, for a really good price. He lives in NC too (he's too lazy to sell the thing so I'm helping with his lack of motivation).

post #23 of 32 Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Send me some specs from the RR offline.

post #24 of 32 Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Done and done! Didn't know you were in the phone / communication business. Your not as uptight as Kevin, hahaha!

post #25 of 32 Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
Rags is always good for hot looking 250! If I could only be about 5" shorter and about 15lbs lighter...
you do that and you'll weigh less then one of my beer farts....

+ $5

post #26 of 32 Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

James, tell ya what, since I have been racing nothing has been more fun! I am a true junkie now. I love it.

Down side, its not cheap, even with a cheap bike its not cheap. If you are tight on $$$ go the SV route. Its a great bike to race, parts are readily available, you can race multiple classes, they are easy on tires (good for saving money), etc.

You've been to the track before so you know what thats like. The actual racing part is even more fun because you CAN pass on the inside now! Not to mention the actual thrill of racing even at a Club level. I say go for it, give it solid year if you can, I bet anything you will not regret it.

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #27 of 32 Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the vote of encouragement Dave. I have my eye on a few SV's right now. I am in planning, and staging mode right now. Working on prioritizing everything to make it as easy as possible. The SV was/is a reason for it's affordability to race.

post #28 of 32 Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Living the dream

Good luck James. I have thoughts of racing Supermoto at a local kart track. Several reasons.

1. Not as expensive
2. Much lower speeds
3. I am slow and some REALLY slow people are there.
post #29 of 32 Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks Nate, I have re-evaluated my earlier interest in the SV-650, and after talking with some other amateur racers, I am looking more towards an inline four 600 (ala R6, GSXR, etc...) to maintain a competitive edge. I still want it to do double duty as a second street bike, but definately more track oriented. I actually looked at TLR's for a second, until I realized they weren't within my price range. I am actually entertaining a wrecked/salvaged bike to build up in my garage.

post #30 of 32 Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Anyone have thoughts on how much of a PITA titling a salvaged/wrecked bike is? A friend at the local shop has an R6 (04 or 05) that he put $1,600 in. As far as I can tell, all it really needs is a subframe, and routing of the wires to make it streetable. I need to look at the requirements for WERA and/or CCS to check for racing a salvaged bike.

post #31 of 32 Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Anyone have thoughts on how much of a PITA titling a salvaged/wrecked bike is? A friend at the local shop has an R6 (04 or 05) that he put $1,600 in. As far as I can tell, all it really needs is a subframe, and routing of the wires to make it streetable. I need to look at the requirements for WERA and/or CCS to check for racing a salvaged bike.
If its gonna be a race bike, no need to title it. My Rc51 is not titled after I rebuilt it from the ground up. Most race bikes I know of start out as Salvaged bikes. WERA/CCS probably wont care.

If you are goiung to title it for street use, it depends on the state. Most of the time you have to take it to the local DMV or Highway Patrol/State Police to have it inspected for its road worthyness. That is the case with my current CBR1000RR, it is a Salvage bike that had to pass inspection by the State Police. They passed it, gave the guy I bought it from an inspection tag which then allowed me to register it. I just wanted a title in my name and to ride it on the street a little while. Otherwise I would have never registered it saving me the sales tax and licensing fees.

The only thing I make sure is I have proof of ownership. It used to be the case where a lot of racers raced stolen bikes. I have the MSO and orginial title for my RC if anyone ever accuses me of having a stolen bike.

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #32 of 32 Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info Dave. That eases my mind a bit more about the potential purchase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode