Gentlemen BEHOLD! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Gentlemen BEHOLD!

JenningsGP - 3 days, thorough shakedown for the Ducati. Bill Staab helped me sort out a few suspension adjustments and the bike began behaving like a Ducati should, riding on rails.

Here's a few shots.

Now, that's all fine and dandy but the news some of you are waiting for will be handled, in great detail, in another thread but for the time being you can know that yes, my stable will be changing because this...

Spoiler:

is just way too much fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Three days at Jennings, life is good for Kevin... Please fill us in on the details, both on and off the track. We need to know more about those Spoiler photos.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Ahhh, yes they are. Never owned one but have ridden a few. Looks nice.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

That's a DRZ400 owned by Snowman (Luis) and he leant it to me for a couple sessions to see if I liked the motard feel. It felt really gangly at first but once the tires warmed up and I got used to the wiggle wiggle I just rode it like I ride the BMW, only faster because it weighs about half the GS.

Definitely plan on selling the 748 and beginning a CRF450 conversion, or checking the WERA boards to see what's out there. Reaching 100mph on the motard is an exercise in body adjustment, trying to find the right aerodynamics but the speed you can enter and hold through the twistiest bits is incredible, literally 20mph faster than I can on the sportbikes and with almost no regard for a line. Any line through the turn works because the bike can be adjusted so quickly. Same old motard story, pass the GSXR1000s in the turns and they get you back in the straights, but I don't care about that. It's all about having fun and I was laughing out loud in my helmet riding the DRZ. Just needs about 15 more hp so I can get that rear spinning easier.

Couple accidents, one woman left with a broken clavical and rib and one fella made a 749R into a crash test sacrifice, repairable but not pretty. A couple other real newbies crashes too, some defy explanation but all in all nobody got hurt too bad.

Weather was perfect, couldn't ask for better. I may be back there in July if I can get a motard built by then. Riding that brought more smiles to my face than I can remember on any bike.

post #5 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If you get a 450 that needs conversion let me know. My buddy in Atlanta has one and Scott Russell helped him get the bits and pieces needed for it. It is a well put together machine.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

All I can say is very nice and I'm very jealous!

post #7 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sweet deal Jet. Sounds like you had a helluva time.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
beginning a CRF450 conversion, or checking the WERA boards to see what's out there. Reaching 100mph on the motard is an exercise in body adjustment, trying to find the right aerodynamics but the speed you can enter and hold through the twistiest bits is incredible, literally 20mph faster than I can on the sportbikes and with almost no regard for a line. Any line through the turn works because the bike can be adjusted so quickly. Same old motard story, pass the GSXR1000s in the turns and they get you back in the straights, but I don't care about that. It's all about having fun and I was laughing out loud in my helmet riding the DRZ. Just needs about 15 more hp so I can get that rear spinning easier.
Jet,

Thank you for the great track report! The dirt bike's light weight is the fast turn catalyst. Does the conversion include a reduced travel fork...since it would be overkill on the track?

post #9 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Definitely, the suspension would travel too much unless stiffened up and slowed down. Upgraded springs are quick enough to change and a steering damper is an absolute, lower fork brace is probably a good idea also.

The lighter weight really is other-worldly and the lean angle limit is up to the rider's choice. There are no bad lines because it's so easy to adjust and you can ride the painted strip if you choose. I knew it would be fun but I didn't know it'd be this much fun. I was literally laughing out loud, there's a big smile behind that tinted visor.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Great pictures! How come I see some of you guys have t-shirts on over thier your suits sometimes?

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja View Post
Great pictures! How come I see some of you guys have t-shirts on over thier your suits sometimes?

Those are the guys that are scared to go fast, also Motohead yellow thong club members.

post #12 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

when wearing the yellow shirt that means you are working as an instructor/control rider. when not wearing the shirt it means you're playing instead of working.

post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Mercedes, the guys with shirts are usually the Control Riders. They are the referees of the track.

Edit: Jet beat me to the punch.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Well i figured it meant something, i jsut didn't know what. Now I know! Thanks guys.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #15 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Edit - Found IT!

How much for the Ducati?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #16 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
If you get a 450 that needs conversion let me know. My buddy in Atlanta has one and Scott Russell helped him get the bits and pieces needed for it. It is a well put together machine.
Will do Jim, appreciate it. From what I can tell it definitely needs springs all around, the wheels and tires, remove the front fender and go. The gearing is still a mystery but all will reveal in time.

post #17 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
enter and hold through the twistiest bits is incredible, literally 20mph faster than I can on the sportbikes and with almost no regard for a line. Any line through the turn works because the bike can be adjusted so quickly. Same old motard story, pass the GSXR1000s in the turns and they get you back in the straights
While just flying down some twisties on my road bike I was hypothetically debating would I rather have the front tire blow at 20MPH faster in a turn or down a straight road? Sure I believe in changing tires often to lower the risk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode