Freddie Spencer School - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Freddie Spencer School

Recently I've been reading about a few people who've done Freddie's school and I've been considering it also. The 3 day course is NOT cheap, not at all, and would take a little discretionary saving but still I'm tempted. I've already read comments from those who did it and were satisfied.
Anyone done it and been disappointed? Anyone want to do it as well? Group buy???

http://www.fastfreddie.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM

$2900 Good luck on the group buy.

you want to do it up; her or in vegas?

I am saving up for it myself.

EVERYONE (about 30 people) I know have taken it loved it and are wicked fast because of ti.

post #3 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I was thinking Miller, although Vegas has to be a much cheaper flight... investigating.

Never done his school before so I'd start with his most basic course. I'm not getting any faster doing things the way I do so a little help breaking out of my routine might be in order.

post #4 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Gecko and Tuna did some sort of school and I think Tuna said he would have rather just spent that money on track time instead.

+ $5

post #5 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you all are serious, I'm in. I've only heard good things and isn't there a 10% discount with AMA or HRA membership?

post #6 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Jet, I live 55 minutes from Miller, if you are looking to save a little money, my home is open to you.

Also, call Freddie school ask for norm, tell them you own a number of motorcycle websites and ytou wanted to write an article about the school. you may be pleasantly suprised.

post #7 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
If you all are serious, I'm in. I've only heard good things and isn't there a 10% discount with AMA or HRA membership?
Absolutely serious. Just need to figure out some money stuff before committing. Definitely want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggly View Post
Jet, I live 55 minutes from Miller, if you are looking to save a little money, my home is open to you.

Also, call Freddie school ask for norm, tell them you own a number of motorcycle websites and ytou wanted to write an article about the school. you may be pleasantly suprised.
Thanks for the offer, might just take you up on it! I'll give Norm a call and introduce myself - we'll see what happens. Thanks!

post #8 of 37 Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well, I didn't do Fred's class. I did Keith Code's SuperBike school with Turn_1 and his brother. If it has a similar set up, I would say it would be a great experience and would teach you a lot. It was very enlightening to say the least. Having him teaching me directly and then having an instructor following me around the track one on one and then telling me what to work on and then going right back out to work on it... it was awesome. And then go back to Keith to have him instruct me on what to try next... and so on.

I went there going kind of quick and left there going very fast. It was just one day, too. About 9-10 hours.

Thought I would share my experience.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

I had this in my budget for 2007. Would like to do it as early in the season as possible. I am serious about this and not "jumping" in on a trackday talk. February 23rd / 2day school?

I've been talking about doing this school since the AMA raced there this summer. Would be awesome if we could get 4 to 5 people to split some of the hotel costs.

With any school, you have to take away at least something. I don't think there is one school you can go to for all your answers. It's all about saddle time and what your next obstacle to over come is. If your looking to "unlock the secrets to go fast" at a track day, I would suggest a local level II school to save the cash. Most level II schools give you way more information than you can comprehend in a day at the track.

Miller looks AWESOME and I have the option to do this.

post #10 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
I had this in my budget for 2007. Would like to do it as early in the season as possible. I am serious about this and not "jumping" in on a trackday talk. February 23rd / 2day school?

I've been talking about doing this school since the AMA raced there this summer. Would be awesome if we could get 4 to 5 people to split some of the hotel costs.

With any school, you have to take away at least something. I don't think there is one school you can go to for all your answers. It's all about saddle time and what your next obstacle to over come is. If your looking to "unlock the secrets to go fast" at a track day, I would suggest a local level II school to save the cash. Most level II schools give you way more information than you can comprehend in a day at the track.

Miller looks AWESOME and I have the option to do this.
no wonder that spreadsheet you sent me was so damn high.

+ $5

post #11 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Well, I didn't do Fred's class. I did Keith Code's SuperBike school with Turn_1 and his brother. If it has a similar set up, I would say it would be a great experience and would teach you a lot. It was very enlightening to say the least. Having him teaching me directly and then having an instructor following me around the track one on one and then telling me what to work on and then going right back out to work on it... it was awesome. And then go back to Keith to have him instruct me on what to try next... and so on.

I went there going kind of quick and left there going very fast. It was just one day, too. About 9-10 hours.

Thought I would share my experience.

The biggest difference is I guess KC teaches upright breaking while FS teaches Corner entry speed and trail braking.

post #12 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
The biggest difference is I guess KC teaches upright breaking while FS teaches Corner entry speed and trail braking.
Yeah, that seems to be everyones controversy.

I mixed it up some. I was doing most braking upright and then slowingly getting off brakes as I was coming into a full lean.

I am not sure exactly what Fredo teaches but I probably was doing closer to what he teaches when I was with Keith.

Either way, my corner speeds went way way up by the end of one day.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that seems to be everyones controversy.

I mixed it up some. I was doing most braking upright and then slowingly getting off brakes as I was coming into a full lean.

I am not sure exactly what Fredo teaches but I probably was doing closer to what he teaches when I was with Keith.

Either way, my corner speeds went way way up by the end of one day.
Freddie teaches full brakes all the time LOL

He teaches that the apex of the turn is transitioning from fist full brake to fist full of throttle (in a nutshell)

Dude floats his brakes down the straight his rotors are so black its not funny.

I still have yet to do the Freddie school but I have taken 3 schools that are affiliated with FS and the instructors trained by freddie, but I imagine learning from freddie and nick would be 10 times the experiance.

post #14 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Dude floats his brakes down the straight his rotors are so black its not funny.
huh???

+ $5

post #15 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy e View Post
huh???
I think he's racist...

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #16 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy e View Post
huh???

Freddie spencer has his brakes engaged 100% of the time and it fries his rotors

post #17 of 37 Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Well it makes sense really... hold the brake down a little all the time, that way you have more drag so you loose acceleration, plus get the bonus of having your suspension under that much more pressure, also you get to replace your brake pads and rotors constantly...

I don't think he rides with his brakes on all the time.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #18 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
sorry dude your on crack

post #19 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

So, (back on subject) if we do this school, the bikes will be provided correct? As a potential rider, what would be the requirements? i.e., airfare, hotel, rental car, leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, etc...

post #20 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

What kind of bikes do they have for shorty's like me. I mean if they provide the bikes and then i can't reach on it what would they do.? Can i take my own bike or do you HAVE to use thiers?

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #21 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know what bike would fit you. Buy a Honda RS250. Mmmmmmmm

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #22 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I know what bike would fit you. Buy a Honda RS250. Mmmmmmmm
I don't see that bike anywhere. I see a NSF100!!! only weighs 164pds. My kinda bike. But its not street legal.

post #23 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja View Post
I don't see that bike anywhere. I see a NSF100!!! only weighs 164pds. My kinda bike. But its not street legal.
Aprillia RS250. Awesome!!!

post #24 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Aprillia RS250. Awesome!!!

I'm trying not to thread jack but, arent those two strokes? I hear i would kill my self on one of those. But man it is nice!!!!! I sat on the little Repsol 250 and it was a perfect fit....like a glove. Not street legal either right?

post #25 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
What kind of bikes do they have for shorty's like me. I mean if they provide the bikes and then i can't reach on it what would they do.? Can i take my own bike or do you HAVE to use thiers?
Freddie's school supplies the bikes and uses:
HONDA CBR600RR
HONDA CBR1000RR
HONDA INTERCEPTOR
HONDA CRF100F

The suspension is likely tweaked to fit the weight of each rider but ride height is most likely not adjusted. Basically if you can't reach the ground you can't ride safely and this school probably wont work for you.

Keith Code schools have options where you can provide your own bike and *bonus* are cheaper than Freddie's schools. Personally I want the Freddie School experience but it's nothing more than preference.

Quote:
I'm trying not to thread jack but, arent those two strokes? I hear i would kill my self on one of those. But man it is nice!!!!! I sat on the little Repsol 250 and it was a perfect fit....like a glove. Not street legal either right?
RS250's are great track tools if you're into the 2stroke thing. Not practical for the street - don't think anyone was seriously suggesting you get one, a bit of wit there.

post #26 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Freddie's school supplies the bikes and uses:
HONDA CBR600RR
HONDA CBR1000RR
HONDA INTERCEPTOR
HONDA CRF100F

The suspension is likely tweaked to fit the weight of each rider but ride height is most likely not adjusted. Basically if you can't reach the ground you can't ride safely and this school probably wont work for you.

Keith Code schools have options where you can provide your own bike and *bonus* are cheaper than Freddie's schools. Personally I want the Freddie School experience but it's nothing more than preference.

RS250's are great track tools if you're into the 2stroke thing. Not practical for the street - don't think anyone was seriously suggesting you get one, a bit of wit there.

Ya i know no one was suggesting it. I was just saying that If i could find a street legal bike that looked like the repsol and was a 250. I'd be set. Those are the perfect height for me. I couldn't even reach right on my 250. Don't worry I'm not getting one! :001_smile:

post #27 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The RS250 is a nonstreetlegal 2 stroke.

Go for the Honda NSR250 then. Street legal 2 stroke. Same size as the RS, a little less power and very light. Not too mention, the best looking street bike ever made, look for one between 1996 and their last year made, 1998.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #28 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Well it makes sense really... hold the brake down a little all the time, that way you have more drag so you loose acceleration, plus get the bonus of having your suspension under that much more pressure, also you get to replace your brake pads and rotors constantly...

I don't think he rides with his brakes on all the time.
Ever seen him ride a streetbike with the lights on it?

I have.

post #29 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
So, (back on subject) if we do this school, the bikes will be provided correct? As a potential rider, what would be the requirements? i.e., airfare, hotel, rental car, leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, etc...
They have a fleet of 600rr's

I think next year they will all be 2007's

post #30 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The RS250 is a nonstreetlegal 2 stroke.

Go for the Honda NSR250 then. Street legal 2 stroke. Same size as the RS, a little less power and very light. Not too mention, the best looking street bike ever made, look for one between 1996 and their last year made, 1998.
Good luck finding one!!!!!!

I love my 2 stroke but rebuilding engines at the track is a Pain in the butt!!!

post #31 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Oh and to answer the other question:

Cost

Approx $2900 for the school, includes tires and gas if I remember correctly
rental car
food
hotel - or have a slumber party at jiggly's house and do the hour commute.

At Miller they only have 600rr's in vegas they do a dirt day on xr100r's

post #32 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Your all too friggin lazy to click on the link in the first post eh? Tells you what is and isn't included. Should be able to figure out from there.

post #33 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Ever seen him ride a streetbike with the lights on it?

I have.
He rides on the street with the brakes on?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #34 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
Your all too friggin lazy to click on the link in the first post eh? Tells you what is and isn't included. Should be able to figure out from there.
Hehehehe, didn't even remember about the link.

post #35 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
He rides on the street with the brakes on?
nope, on the track with a street bike two up

post #36 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Hope everyone saw this little blurb.

To all HRCA members: by special arrangement with the Honda Rider's Club of America you can get a 10% discount on Freddie Spencer Riding School fees if you are a current member. (Just enter your membership number when you sign up). If you'd like more information about joining the HRCA, click here.

It's $30-$40 for a HRCA membership to save you $290 bucks on a 3 day weekend. That's a real easy way to save $250+ bucks with all the bennies of HRCA membership.

post #37 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreret View Post
Hope everyone saw this little blurb.

To all HRCA members: by special arrangement with the Honda Rider's Club of America you can get a 10% discount on Freddie Spencer Riding School fees if you are a current member. (Just enter your membership number when you sign up). If you'd like more information about joining the HRCA, click here.

It's $30-$40 for a HRCA membership to save you $290 bucks on a 3 day weekend. That's a real easy way to save $250+ bucks with all the bennies of HRCA membership.
You DA MAN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode