Found the whole issue with the DMG/AMA thing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Found the whole issue with the DMG/AMA thing

Its the attitude of DMG ! I just saw this and about fell out of my chair !

"Roadracing World: It seems like there are a large number of fans out there who haven’t already read in Roadracing World the reasons why AMA Pro Racing didn’t simply adopt World Superbike rules and carry on. Would you please explain why you didn’t go in that direction?

Roger Edmondson: The World Superbike rules are written for the best athletes in the world on teams that have virtually unlimited funding and factory backing. This is just a National Championship here in the United States. I hate to break that to some people, but that’s all it is. "

Thats all it is ! We used to have a WSBK round every year @ Daytona , the AMA series used to looked upon as the shining example of a domestic sereis -adn not, in large part thanks to these jacka$$es, its not so ! For the owner of the series to bill thier holding as just a national championship, well, that just strikes me a selling it short - or is it just me ?

Read more of this jersk blathering here -

The World According To AMA Pro Racing President Roger Edmondson: Part Three News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Living the dream

Don't all the other "just National Series" use WSBK rules? Or am I way off?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm with Nate, I thought most other national championships used WSBK rules. I thought for sure that the Brit SBK does.

The sad truth probably is ... you get 50,000 people to a Brit SBK race...and 5,000 at a US SBK race.

Shouldn't Ben Spies be a shinning example of the fact that the US SBK series produces world class riders? And the "unlimited funding" is bullshiit, no one in any series these days has unlimited funding.

DMG is just manipulating things in an attempt to garner the most profits they can.... problem is they don't seem to understand motorcycle racing or it's fans.

Another sad truth is that about 1 in 1000 people in the US give a crap about motorcycle racing, and out of that number...about 1 in 20 give a crap about the rules, or how close the bikes are to stock, or not. The squids buying 80% of the sport bikes don't follow racing much less the technical rule discussions.
JohnnyB

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

They day LawnMower Racing gets a spot on TV instead of a World Championship Motorcycle Racing is the day you know in what kind of a shiit hole we are when it comes to MC racing in this country.

So, even with the old AMA ruless, SBK bikes used to do (or did) better times at Laguna and Miller than the WSBK boys (if I am not wrong) but, we are not worthy of the WSBK FIM rules?

Who is DMG trying to sell this stuff to, Us (old school bench racers & watchers) or the LawnMower Racing crowd?

post #5 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Next will be different spoilers on different bikes with varying rates of drag to even out the field.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase

Yep I remember when the AMA was running real superbikes and yes at a couple of tracks they ran faster times than the WSBK guys, created a bit of a stink. But you often saw that kind of thing happen with equal bikes and "local knowledge" coming into play.

Richest country in the world with the poorest motorcycle racing. Hell, podunk little eastern European nations have a better bike racing scene than the US.

JohnnyB

post #7 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Yeah those old Laguna Rounds were always interesting when our wildcards went at it with the SBK guys......I still have some pretty awesome tapes of that stuff.....I'll never forget Yates trying to get the back end of his bike to hook up there whilst chasing down Haga and CE and Nicky....good stuff.

And I think Internationally everyone has always respected our series...the machines and riders....at least until right about now they did. I think I read on Soup how all the International press were laughing their collective asses off when the whole DMG pacecar thing played out at Laguna.

I know that as a pretty avid fan I want the best guys on the best bikes.....maybe not verbatim what the SBK rulebook allows but not hopped up streetbikes either.

Ultimately what bums me out most is this:......I love it when one of our boys makes good .....here and then abroad.....in recent memory.....Russell, Edwards, Hayden, Spies.....maybe even Hopper and BBoz...but outside Mladin right now I don't see any immediate threat to break out of our homespun series and mix it up at the world level....and if the current rules trend continues like this....we may never spawn a real contender ever again....and that would be sad if all we ever see 10 years from now is Japs and Europeans in the big leagues....and maybe the odd American on a crappy satellite team.

It would suck real bad.....but that's how I see it shaking out.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
and that would be sad if all we ever see 10 years from now is Japs and Europeans in the big leagues....and maybe the odd American on a crappy satellite team.

It would suck real bad.....but that's how I see it shaking out.
Preach On brother GDJAM... Preach ON!

post #9 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Mladin retiring and setting out the race today supposedly? Hmmm.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase

I think our impact on the world level racing started to diminish when they did away with the AMA 250gp championship. Seems like Edwards spent time there, Spencer and a few others. The series died when the EPA banned the two stroke street bikes.
JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode