First Track day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
tomvan72

First Track day

So, Finally I get to go to a trackday. The only requirements so far is that you have to drain any antifreeze from you radiator and have leathers that zip. Does any one have any info that I should know before hand? I have 2 weeks to prepare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

which track?

post #3 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
tomvan72

It is in South Carolina. I dont remeber the name. I am riding with a friend. I will see if I can get it.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

full-circumference zippered leathers, Water wetter mixed proportionally with distilled water to replace your anti-freeze, under Armour(or other like product) to wear under your leathers, snack stuff to keep your energy, water, water, water, numbers of some type for your front and rear identification. There is more, depending on which organization you are going with. Make sure your helmet is less than 5 years old, and in good condition, I recommend a good back/spine protector, cooler to keep your snacks in. EZ-UP or other like product to stay out of the sun, folding chairs, change of clothes, towel, duct tape, kitchen sink, others will come up with more stuff. Congrats on the track day, you will be hooked!

post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

one side of me wants to tell you to study the trackmap. Learn the elevation changes and off-cambor turns. Find the brake markers, entrance and apex points and study the fast way around the track. Hang off the bike to get your cog down lower and smooth on throttle up.

the other side of me thinks meet the minimum tech, watch your tire pressures and just ride to where you're comfortable and enjoy the day.

Don't think about it too much, just enjoy the ride and improve your skills. You'll be addicted after just one session, it's worse than heroine. (not that I'd know anything about that)

post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
tomvan72

Wow, I guess you have been there before! I dont have a full zip but an 8". My folks said it was ok. What about gas. Do most track sell it there or should I bring my own? My riding gear is all new and My tires are still good. For now! I wonder if this is going to be getto track day or not. I am not sure if there are instructors there or not. It is only $100. What can I expect for that?

post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

no, haven't been there before but the concept is the same at most any track. Definitely bring your own gas. Bring a couple gallons of water too, drink more than you think you need. Obviously you'll need to remove your mirrors & license plate and tape up all your lights and turn signals.

For $100 you should expect control riders in the basic group, they're there to help you around the track and try to keep traffic flowing.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Is it organized through anyone? NESBA, SportbikeTrackTime, Cornerspeed, TeamProMotion, etc... Each organization has it's own rules as to rider and bike requirements. My first two trackdays were ghetto. You will pick up more stuff as you go to more events. The K.I.S.S. rule applies to trackdays. Don't try to overcomplicate anything. And depending on the track, is dependant on if you need to bring your own fuel. I know @ VIR, gas is uber-expensive, so it is better to bring your own fuel.

post #9 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 AM
tomvan72

So it will be Carolina motorsports park in Kershaw,sc. It is put on by US Desmo. Its a Ducati club. All my friends ride duc's and I am the only one on a Honda. So after pleading my case and the fact that the classes are not full, i get to GO! anyone ride Kershaw before?

post #10 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Imaginifer

you are going to have a blast. I'll give you some non-tech stuff since peeps have already done that for you....Just relax, don't forget to breath through corners...I am serious! LOL

Drink plenty of water, bring it and Gatorade. Also bring bananas to help ward off cramps or you can get potassium pills too.

And remember to get a good night's rest, no drinking and partying the night before.

Most of all.........

have a good time, you are not there in a race, so there is no trophy or $$ to be won. Compete against yourself and don't over ride your ability Make sure to get pics too. Is there a track photographer there?

Riding is not what I do....it's who I am!
post #11 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 AM
tomvan72

I dont know if there will be a picture taker or not. My mom deffinately wants some pics. It sounds as if preparing for track day is very similar to preparing for any of my bike races! I got the pregame show down. Now its just a matter of remembering all the tips all has given!

post #12 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 AM

Here's my check list for the track. You can copy/paste it into Word and add or subtract items if you want. Have fun man!

Track Checklist

Before leaving for the track check off the following:

Track Items
__ Helmet with clear and tinted visor
__ Suit
__ Gloves
__ Boots
__ If cold: long johns, long sleeve shirt, hankerchief
__ T-Shirt
__ Swim trunks
__ Long socks
__ Sunglasses
__ Suntan lotion
__ Hat
__ Chairs
__ Cooler with drinks
__ Honda spray
__ Cell phone, charger(s)
__ EZ-Up
__ Extension Cord >= 50 ft
__ Electric Fan
__ Electrical splitter???
__ Flashlight
__ Extra Cleaning Rags

Motorcycle Items
__ Front stand
__ Rear stand
__ Gas Can
__ Tie down straps
__ Canyon Dancer
__ Bike Lock
__ Bungee Cords
__ Red Bike Cover
__ Tire pressure gauge
__ Battery charger
__ Tool Bag
__ Vinyl for lights

Tools/Other Items
__ Torque wrench and front and rear axle sockets
__ Metric sockets, allen head sockets
__ Assorted screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, etc
__ Velcro
__ Zip ties
__ Duct tape
__ ????????????????????????
__ $150.00
__ Directions/Phone numbers
__ Backpack
__ Service Manual
__ Camera
__ Extra batteries and charger

Before racing at the track do the following:

Bike prep
__ Set air pressure to 30 PSI on front and 32 rear tires
__ Check all important bolts for tightness (axles, rearsets, clipons)
__ Check chain slack
__ Inspect tires for damage
__ Fill up with gas
__ Check brakes
__ Check fluid levels
__ Remove fuses for all lights if applicable
__ Cover all lights with vinyl
__ Remove Mirrors and turn signals

post #13 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
tomvan72

That is an extensive list! What is a Canyon Dancer? I know one from the canyon but i did not know that was her handle

post #14 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
It's a lot like the cycle cynch. Basically ties down your bike so it doesn't go bouncing around while you haul it to the track. Which brings up another good point, in case you were crazy enough to even think of it DON'T RIDE TO THE TRACK. I'm sure you were planning on hauling the bike there anyway, but I just had to get that out there. I know this is a no-brainer, but there are people who think riding to the track is a good idea.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #15 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 AM
tomvan72

Actually one of my buddies talked about it. What a knuckle head. He thinks he is some kind of iron butt or something. What ever!

post #16 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 11:29 AM

I've heard of people doing it but it's not a good idea. You're going to be wasted if you make it to the last session. Which brings up another good point. If you're tired, pit out and rest. Don't think, "Oh, I'll just do 1 more lap." Famous last words. There's no shame in sitting out a session either. Especially after lunch. So watch your fatigue level late in the sessions, after lunch, and towards to end of the day.

Here's a link for the Canyon Dancer.
http://www.canyondancer.com/

post #17 of 17 Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
tomvan72

that is funny you say that. I race bmx bikes and it never fails in practice, a rider says just one more before we go and WHAM! . down they go. and it aint pretty. I have been this guy before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode