First track day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

First track day

I'm thinking of doing the May 12 track day at Willow Springs and need advice on bike prepping and riding gear selection.
I need to get a full suit; not sure how much a decent suit should cost.
Also, I'd like to get the Sato rearsets before the track day.
Are camcorders allowed on the track? Would be nice to shoot some clips at the end of the day.
For the first track day should I use my bike or use their bike? Either case your day is done after a crash, so why risk damaging my bike? Which track school offers "rental" bikes?

Anything else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokali919 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the May 12 track day at Willow Springs and need advice on bike prepping and riding gear selection.
Are camcorders allowed on the track? Would be nice to shoot some clips at the end of the day.
For the first track day should I use my bike or use their bike? Either case your day is done after a crash, so why risk damaging my bike? Which track school offers "rental" bikes?

Anything else?
It will all depend on the school/track day your attending.

You may not need a full suit. A set of good 2-piece leathers with full zipper attachment would and should suffice for most "track days". Also, this gives you the flexibility to separate them for everyday use if you choose. Some track days do allow "Aerostitch", but you'll need to verify.

Many programs will rent everything from leathers to boots.

You will need boots, no and's if's or but's. A good quality set of gloves. Obviously, a DOT approved helmet.

Bike prep. Remove glycol, replace with "Water Wetter", etc. Tape off all lights and remove license plate or anything that may fall off and be a hazard. Best to remove the mirrors.

Depending on the program, renting one of their bikes for the first time is not a bad idea. Getting to know your bike at your limits is always better IMHO.

Depending on the program will depend on camera use, mounting, etc.

Others here will definitely be more familiar with Willows.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #3 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Yep. All good guidance. ^

Don't forget tires also, they should be at least 75% new, no cracks or plugs. Know the optimum pressures to run, if you can't find it beforehand just ask around.

post #4 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Totally cool sokali, I need to get out there myself.

You may want to send jayfooey a PM and ask about the 9ner on the track.
He used to own one and rode it on the track several times. If anyone knows how to prep the 919 he does.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #5 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Totally cool sokali, I need to get out there myself.

You may want to send jayfooey a PM and ask about the 9ner on the track.
He used to own one and rode it on the track several times. If anyone knows how to prep the 919 he does.
Don't forget Raybobb1 as well.

post #6 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help.

Sugs, you should try going up.
Maybe we drag a couple other 9ners up there.
Would be a nice sight on the track

Can Water-Wetter be used full time for normal riding?
Any disadvantages?

post #7 of 55 Old 04-26-2008, 12:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Sugs, you should try going up.
Maybe we drag a couple other 9ners up there.
Would be a nice sight on the track

Can Water-Wetter be used full time for normal riding?
Any disadvantages?
I'd like to go, May 12th date is a little soon for me though, my kids have too much stuff going on right now.

There is some talk of water-wetter destroying water pumps, don't know if this is true or not.

post #8 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I would definately use your own bike, that's the whole reason you bought it, right? To ride it. Get the "what if I crash" thoughts out of your head. Before every street ride, do you have those thoughts? The track is actually a much safer, more controlled place to ride than the street.

Here is the biggest single peice of advice I can offer. Do not ride over your head, and go there to have fun, and you'll be fine.

Don't think by being on the "track" that you are having to "race". Go there, go at your own speed, with-in your comfort zone. Don't go there thinking "Man I have to drag a knee" as it will happen when it does. The more laps you do the faster you will get and more comfortable with the bike you will be. Go out there, learn the lines of the track, warm the tires up good for a few laps. Also, focus on yourself and not other riders. If someone passes you and is above your speed comfort, don't let your ego try to enter a corner much faster than you have normally been entering it previously trying to keep up. Another think to press into your brain is that tires are stickier than you think. If this is a first track day, you are not going to outride your tires. If you think you are going in too hot, just breath and lean it in. Most crashes happen when riders panic and grab too much front brake in mid corner, and either lowside or have to stand it up and go off into the run-off area.

Just think of this as any other ride on a perfect twisty road, but you don't have to worry about anything but you and the bike, and you'll be fine. Again, it's ok to push yourself a little, but just not too fast too hard. Also, you might think about taping up your speedometer if you are going to be inclined to looking at it. Nothing like going "man, I'm doing 136 and either plowing into the back of something, or losing your focus and braking point and overcooking it into a turn.

I have been running water wetter in my RC51 for 6 years now and have not had any problems.

Ride within your limits, have a blast... it's going to ruin the street for you after this.

post #9 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^^ Best advice thus far - Ride for fun, your not going to win anything by being the fastest one out there. Practice on being smooth on your inputs and concentrate on being constintant with your lines - Above all , have fun ! Welcome to the addiction !!!

post #10 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
I have been running water wetter in my RC51 for 6 years now and have not had any problems.
How would you know?
You haven't started the bike in 4 years.

post #11 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

I was working on the "what if I crash" thing yesterday, and am done with it.
The thing is, I have a very competative personality. I'm always trying to outdo myself. Taping the speedometer would help in my case.
I have a feeling that I'll be addicted after the first time. I was with my YZ250 after riding motocross tracks and my Sea-Doo XP after riding around a closed course set up with bouys. Actually, I got the race bug with the Sea-Doo and ended up racing for 7 years

Just wondering if I should flip the shifter to GP style, not just for the track day. I've been told that it's a better setup.
Also, looking for a decent two piece suit for track use (fairly inexpensive).

Thanks for the help.
Mike

post #12 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Awards Showcase

I completely understand where you are coming from on the com[petitive thing. I have raced motocross fro 15 years, and am very competitive at everything I do. Practicing for MX I know I needed to push my limits, becasue that's the only way to get faster to be competitive in racing. But I had to sink into my brain that this was for fun, I wasn't trying to win practice.
I usually ride about 85%, I still push it a little, but still "trying" to stay within my comfort level. I'm about a mid paced advanced guy on the track. Not trying to keep up with the racers, but can go pretty good and thats fine by me. If I had a dedicated track bike then it would be a different story and I would push it more.

As far the GP style shifting, the main reason is coming out of corners it's easier to shift not having to get your toe underneath when leaned over. I doubt it's going to be a problem. But if you decide to do it, do it well before your track day and get used to it good. Last thing you want to do, especially in a panic is shift the wrong way.

post #13 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
How would you know?
You haven't started the bike in 4 years.

SHUP! You haven't kept a bike for 4 years...

BTW, I rode yesterday. To Bob Evans to get something to eat. 5 mile round trip!

post #14 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
As far the GP style shifting, the main reason is coming out of corners it's easier to shift not having to get your toe underneath when leaned over. I doubt it's going to be a problem. But if you decide to do it, do it well before your track day and get used to it good. Last thing you want to do, especially in a panic is shift the wrong way.
Exactly.
But what if I run into a panic situation on the street if I change before the track day?

post #15 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Give yourself plenty of time to rewire your brain to think backwards.
I ran GP shifting on the 748 and it was great for the track because I could comfortably shortshift while leaned far over in a couple spots.

But honestly, for your first trackday, unless you've got Hayden genetics there's no reason to make the change. The mission of your first trackdays is to get comfortable on the bike at a whole new level. Learn just what it's capable of and work on getting those butterflies in your stomach to go away. There's a whole bunch of things you'll need to upgrade if you become a track junkie and shift pattern is way way down on the list.

post #16 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
There's a whole bunch of things you'll need to upgrade if you become a track junkie .
Not if I get a GSXR-750

post #17 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^ Now your talking ! I had a 2007 with the Ohilins SS kit in the forks, rear shock and steering damper - It rocked ! But, I sold tit to get my Tuono - ALsmost liek your Aviatar - Is that for shadowing a future buy ? If so, youll love it !

post #18 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Not if I get a GSXR-750

OK, have fun with that.

post #19 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
^ Now your talking ! I had a 2007 with the Ohilins SS kit in the forks, rear shock and steering damper - It rocked ! But, I sold tit to get my Tuono - ALsmost liek your Aviatar - Is that for shadowing a future buy ? If so, youll love it !
The problem with the gixxer is the cost of insurance ($264/month) so it would have to be a track bike.
Now if you do the math, you'll see that a $17k Factory Tuono is "cheaper" than a $10k GSXR-750. Cost of insuring the Ape with same coverage as the gixxer is $21/month
IMHO the Factory would make an excellent track bike that would be a joy to ride on the street; not to mention the bling factor when I stop for coffee
I've been in contact with 4 Aprilia dealers within 60 miles and visited two of them; same story: the bikes have left Italy but no word on arrival date.
I'm suspecting that they're trying to move the 2007.5 models. We'll see.

post #20 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:

Anything else?

If your Riding Big Willow Springs May 12th, you'll be riding with US... Cal-Sportbike TrackXperience...

Change out your coolant to water wetter, in the 3 yrs I had my 919, I never had a problem with my bike and the use of water wetter... make sure you have decent tires, I'm not sure how well you ride... if your dragging knee, try a softer compound tire... 919's have a ground clearance problem, Satos rear sets will help that for sure!

As for a full suit, that pretty much depends on your budget! They sell for all very cheap to very expensive, get the best suit you can afford!

If your planning on running a camcorder, you'll have to get approval by one of the Staff at the track. they will cover that during the riders meeting.

We don't rent out bikes for you to use, you can rent them from Sportbike rentals... I think there's a online website.. Not sure...
BUT personally why not use your own bike you can learn more about your own bike this way! if you rent a bike will you really enjoy it? because if your not use to that bike you'll just spend the day trying to learn it!

Be sure to sign up for the school, also find me, I have the RACE GSXR with the #689, I'll be sure to have them assign you to my group.

there is a thread for this track event check it out...

here's a couple pictures of me and my 919 at a track... I'll have to find my 919 Willow Springs pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _ml_0644s.jpg (42.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg _ML_0368s.jpg (54.5 KB, 33 views)

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #21 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Exactly.
But what if I run into a panic situation on the street if I change before the track day?
Well I didn't exactly mean try it out in rush hour traffic...

post #22 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Thanks Jayfooey,
I'm trying my best to make it, a lot to do to get ready, but for any reason I can't make it, the next one for sure.
I'll be using my bike, probably need tires by then, also rearsets, stands, suit and boots.
How much time is spent on instructing riders, what's the start time, quiting time , that sort of things. Couldn't find it at your site.

post #23 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Sessions start at 9am, but there are things that you need to take care before then, I would recommend arriving early like 7:30ish...

Normally you come in, unload and set up your pits, go over to registration, and check in there, fill out the normal disclaimer form, they give you a tech inspection sticker, go back to your pits, make last minute adjustments to the bike, ie: check tire pressures, tape up lights if you haven't, check fuel level... and such

Take your bike over to tech inspection, we'll go over your bike and and let you know if we find something wrong with it, if it passes you put your tech inspection on the bike and we sign it off...

Head back to the pits, do more adjustments if needed, guys with race tires put tire warmers on, put your leathers on, drink water... (Keep hydrated, start drinking lots of water the day before)

About 8:20 - 8:30ish is a mandatory riders meeting, from there the novice school starts (9am)....

Level 2 riders are on the track...

Every 1/2hour the levels switches on track...

When the school is on the track, they will be practicing that was taught to them in the classroom. When the school not on the track they're in the classroom.

It's like that until late in the afternoon when you will be let loose to practice for the TracStar Challenge or ride for your own...

The Track usually goes cold at 4:30 - 5pm at which time we hold our TracStar Challenge awards celebration, anyone is welcome to hang out and watch, it's for those that take the challenge and pass! You can read about the TracStar Challenge on our website.

Please feel free to ask as much questions as you want ok!

Here's a couple pictures of me and the 919 at Willow Springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bk-DSC_4522s.JPG (41.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg bk-DSC_2294s.jpg (33.3 KB, 26 views)

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #24 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Simple enough.
I'm ordering the rearsets tomorrow, need to find a decent suit. As far as stands, I've been wanting to get a nice set for a while now, just can't figure out which one to get, maybe the Lockhart Phillips.
Anyways, I want to get everything ready before signing up.
I'll probably have more questions later.

Thanks.
Mike

post #25 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Mike back when I first got my 9ner, I got in on a group buy for "Handy" bike stands, they were pretty inexpensive stands, but pretty decent, you should check them out... here's a link for you... hey if you can get enough people involved, start a group buy, I for get what the lady's name is at Handy, but you can call and see what they can do for you...

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...t_view.asp?D=5 <--- Click it!!!

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #26 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

The CBR set should work, right?

post #27 of 55 Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hey sokali, no big deal to switch to GP shift. I did it just recently and it only took about a week to get used to it. I thought it would be hard mentally but it wasn't.

post #28 of 55 Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 AM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
The CBR set should work, right?
I believe the ones we were getting was the universal stand with rubber pads

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #29 of 55 Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Hey sokali, no big deal to switch to GP shift. I did it just recently and it only took about a week to get used to it. I thought it would be hard mentally but it wasn't.
Hi sugs, I'll have to check it out.

Right now I'm working on tires; ran over a piece of metal on the freeway.
Less than 8 weeks on the rear tire and it's gone (almost 4k miles). So now I'm thinking of the Pilot Power 2CT instead of the Road 2CT, my tires don't last long enough for the thread to wear and how often does it rain over here anyways?

Thanks Jayfooey.
The guys at Cycle Depot, where I get my bike stuff, are giving me a good deal on the LP stands that I like. The front is a triple-clamp type; I'm thinking about installing the Race Tech gold valve kit and colud use that feature.

Their price on the Sato rearsets is around $445 + tax. That's the best price I've found so far.

post #30 of 55 Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Good deal,

I also had my 919 forks reworked and I put the race tech gold valves & springs and an Ohlins rear shock! It was a great investment!

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #31 of 55 Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Hi Jayfooey

Got the LP stands, Pilot Powers, tinted faceshield, and ordered the rearsets.
Need to change front brake pads, oil and filter.

What's the best mix ratio for the Water Wetter?

As far as riding gear, for a first time track rider, do I need race suit and race boots?
I have Rocket jacket and pants that zip at rear, and Thor 50/50 boots.

How much gas should I bring?

Do I need to safety wire anything?

Should I try going to work the day after or will I be too tired?

I'm thinking about going up to El Mirage next weekend and flipping the shifter over to GP style; riding up and down the lake would be the perfect place to practice. That's where I learned to ride dirt bikes a long time ago

Thanks for all the help
Mike

post #32 of 55 Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Here's a good Track Day Checklist devised by a friend of mine:

post #33 of 55 Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Hi Jayfooey

What's the best mix ratio for the Water Wetter?

As far as riding gear, for a first time track rider, do I need race suit and race boots?
I have Rocket jacket and pants that zip at rear, and Thor 50/50 boots.

How much gas should I bring?

Do I need to safety wire anything?

Should I try going to work the day after or will I be too tired?

I'm thinking about going up to El Mirage next weekend and flipping the shifter over to GP style; riding up and down the lake would be the perfect place to practice. That's where I learned to ride dirt bikes a long time ago

Thanks for all the help
Mike

Read the instructions on the bottle of water wetter, I believe it's like 2 cap fulls to every gallon of distilled water??? (just my guess) I know you use the cap to measure the amout of water wetter. the exact amount is listed on the bottle.

NO, you don't have to have race boots or race leathers....

BUT follow these rider equipment requirements and you'll be fine

RIDER EQUIPMENT

1) BSI, DOT, or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield. Swing-up chin-bar helmets are ONLY allowed in the Level 1 school, and any of these helmets that don't lock firmly (i.e. ROOF and others) will not be allowed period. You are risking your own head by riding with a damaged helmet, but any damage more than scuffs or scrapes will NOT pass tech since we care about your safety even if you may want to risk riding with a severely dinged-up lid!
2) Leather, Lorica, or similar material motorcycle riding boots that fully cover the top of the ankle and MUST overlap your suit's pant leg. No external laces allowed.
3) Undamaged gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage (must overlap sleeve of suit). And for your own protection, don't come to a track day wearing some cheapo paper-thin gloves. You want your hands to be protected WELL, right?
4) One or two piece protective suit. Two piece suits must zip together fully (90%) if worn in Level 2....at least a standard "back zipper" is required for Level 1 riders. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable (Level 1 only) provided they have reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas.
5) Level 2 riders MUST WEAR A BACK PROTECTOR. Back pads sewn into suits are not enough.
6) You must be 18 years old.
7) NO sparking knee sliders allowed. At ANY venue.

It looks like your 2 piece leathers should be fine for your 1st time at the track. BUT I would strongly recommend that you get a one piece suit in the future... also think about this with current set of leathers... if you go down it really doesn't matter how fast your riding, if you land a certain way and your leathers spread apart your open to all kinds of things that could happen to you, a good idea is to put almost as much money into your as you do your bike, that gear will save you so much pain, and anguish, and possibly death!!!

Those Thor boots look pretty cool!!!! But do they over lap your leather pant legs?? If they do, your good to go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We recommend that you at least safety wire your drain plug...
Because the 919 doesn't have a fairing we will require you to have water wetter...

Bike requirements:
1) All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.
2) Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tire tread should be in good condition with decent tread depth. Any tires with shredding, cracking, or have tread worn down to flat spot with no remaining stiping will be disallowed.
3) Brake levers must function properly, without excessive play or pull
4) ALL lights must be taped over. We also suggest pulling fuses so the tape will not gum up. Side mirrors must be taped over or removed (we suggest removal).
5) All machines must have an operational kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
6) Noise Limits - Laguna Seca has a 90-92db noise restriction policy measured by a decibel meter. Riders flagged off the track and who are unable to come into compliance will not receive a refund. If you don't know if your bike will pass this limit, please email or call us for further advice.
8) Wheel balance weights must be well-secured (crimped or taped over).
9) License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.
10) WE STRONGLY SUGGEST SAFETY WIRING OIL DRAIN PLUG. In fact we really think for those of you who frequent track days safety wiring MANY things is advisable, and many motorcycle shops will "track prep" a bike for you. It's NOT required mind you, but it's a prudent thing to do.
11) Any riders in L2 or L3 must drain glycol coolant and run water, with any of the major aftermarket non-glycol coolants such as Water Wetter or equivalent.

I always fill my gas tank up and bring 5 gals of gas. You might not use all the gas, but always refil your tank at the lunch break. I myself will go through more than 5 gals, I have to fill my gas tank 3 times and I run a generator for my tire warmers. But when I had my 919, 5 gallons of gas was plenty for 1 day at the track.

El Mirage is almost my back yard, I only live like 12 miles away!!!!
I still dirt bike there now and then...
But let me ask you this... do really need to switch over before the trackday?
you can always do the trackday and switch over after it... instead of switching before and try to rush to learn it, it won't be a mental thought in your head while it's new to you at the track, which is new to you as well...
I would say to switch over right after the trackday and ride around with it and get use to it this way it's won't be a mental thought in your mind and you thinking did I shift the right way???? you know what I mean. it's entirely up to you though...

Just so you know I do not use GP shifting and I race... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just don't see the need for it.

Have a good one!!!!! Are you getting excited?!?!?! hehe

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #34 of 55 Old 05-04-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

After thinking a bit, I decided not to flip the shift linkage till after the track day. Now, I'm wondering if it'll cause any problems when I ride my dirt bike.

As for the riding gear, I'll probably get a Teknic one piece and A-star boots.
I'd like to do several track days this year, so might as well gear up now.

I love El Mirage, wish I was as close as you are J.
That's where I take my nephews to learn how to ride my dirt bike.
I've wanted to take the 919 up there ever since I bought it almost 3 years ago. One of these days...

post #35 of 55 Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfooey View Post
Read the instructions on the bottle of water wetter, I believe it's like 2 cap fulls to every gallon of distilled water??? (just my guess) I know you use the cap to measure the amout of water wetter. the exact amount is listed on the bottle.

Its not made mention, but, you may want to use Distilled/De-Ionized water - That water has alot of the calicum removed . Calicum and mag dont mix well, it casues some pretty nasty corrosion, but, Im not sure if your bike even has mag water pump covers -
Regardless, enjoy your track time !

post #36 of 55 Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Its not made mention, but, you may want to use Distilled/De-Ionized water - That water has alot of the calicum removed . Calicum and mag dont mix well, it casues some pretty nasty corrosion, but, Im not sure if your bike even has mag water pump covers -
Regardless, enjoy your track time !
Thanks 2ohno, I was kinda wondering about that; I'll use distilled water.
One ounce per quart according to directions.
Does anyone here run water-wetter full time on their street bikes?

I'll be safety wiring the oil fill and drain plugs and oil filter.
Filter is easy, I use a K&N-204
What size should I drill the plugs and "anchor" bolts?
I suppose I can experiment, just trying to save some time.

I'll order the riding gear tomorrow when I pick up the Sato rearsets.
Can a dirt bike ramp be used to load the bike in the bed of a pickup?
Or should I just convert my watercraft trailer?

post #37 of 55 Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

This sucks.

Don't know if I'll be able to make the track day.
I was ready for a busy weekend of preparing for track day. This included installation of Sato rearsets, changing the oil and filter, replacing front brake pads, safety wiring a few things, switching to Water Wetter, and track prepping the bike.
Unfortunately the riding suit I ordered on Tuesday did not arrive. So if I can't find a loaner or rental suit the whole thing is off.

I was really looking forward to riding Willow

post #38 of 55 Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Here's Rob's thread to help find a suit,https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12628

First of all, the guys at TrackXperience are awesome, I'm doing 4 more track days with them this year. Tom Davlantis was kind enough to loan me a 2 piece suit for the day, and also do a make-up Riders Meeting (I got to the track a half hour before the first L2/L3 session).
In return, I let them use the rental motorcycle trailer for their "tow" truck, to remove the downed bikes off the track.
I met Jayfooie and took pics of his bike, but was not in his group. Not to worry, Ian and the rest of the instructors did a great job of introducing us to track riding. We had 2 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions. They set us loose in the 3rd session, but would randomly pick a rider, follow for a lap, then pass and lead you around while showing you the correct lines with hand signals.
Our first session was cut short by a low-side due to gusty wind conditions; the rider was late braking going into Turn 3 and was "pushed" off the track,
unfortanetly, she broke her leg in the process. That was the only injury crash of the day, thank God. The cause of the crash was over-emphasized in the first class which helped later when the winds got gustier. It was so bad that it pushed you to the right coming down the front straight, to the outside of the track going to Turn 2, off the track in Turn 3, and made it difficult to dive into Turn 9 after the long right sweeper. But was good training for my first track day, I loved it.
Here's some pics for now, I'll post comments and more details later

post #39 of 55 Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Don't you just love getting those tires hot enough to ball up? Makes you realize how well they'll stick the next session out.

Glad you had a good time. Sucks for the lady.

Good deal working out the suit/trailer exchange too.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #40 of 55 Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

great stuff...jay's good people

glad to hear all went well and that the planets lined up to get you there in the first place...

smooth smooth smooth
speed will come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode