F2 value as a Track bike? Advise please... - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Immune
 
bocomomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 312
Rep Power: 1
 
F2 value as a Track bike? Advise please...

I'm considering getting an 94 Honda CBR600 F2 track bike. It comes with stands and new Pilot Powers, and has track plastics and is turn key and ready to go. It has some goodies like stainless lines and vortex rearsets, yoshi exhaust, but the suspension looks to be mostly stock. No title. Does anyone have any idea what it's value is? Specifically what can I reasonably expect to get when i want to sell it later on? (assuming it's in the same condition as I bought it in) I dont want to grossly over pay... (I thought I had a fair deal worked out, and now a friend is trying to convince me otherwise)

bocomomark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Tesserarius
 
919Rev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 691
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

$1500-$2000?

but I'll defer to more knowledgeable folks.

When I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did....not screaming in horror like the passengers in the backseat of his car.
919Rev is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Immune
 
bocomomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 312
Rep Power: 1
 
I hope you are right. I was thinking 1200-1500, but I have a good friend who (who has owned several cbr's) who is insisting it's worth 800 tops (because of the no title.) However he has no familiarity with track bikes, so I think he's viewing it essentially as a "junk" bike.

bocomomark is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
i'd agree with 919rev. if your purpose was to put it on the street, then yes its "junk" if there's issues obtaining a title. however, you dont need a title to run it on the track (most states, check your local area).

it comes with track plastics which is nice to have as well. one thing you want to make sure is that its not stolen. grab ahold of the vin and check it out to make sure its clear. if its stolen, report it and walk away. if its clear, you're golden.

Pvster is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

If it's not stolen and you can get it for just over a grand, a track-ready ride with extras sounds like a hell of a fun bike! - RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT!!!

mdtoney is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Immune
 
bocomomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 312
Rep Power: 1
 
A good buddy of mine is going to check it out for me this evening. How do you normally check a VIN to see if it's stolen? He will have internet access but that is all.

bocomomark is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Serial Monogamist
 
ST-DocLizard1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampton, NJ
Posts: 1,507
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
A good buddy of mine is going to check it out for me this evening. How do you normally check a VIN to see if it's stolen? He will have internet access but that is all.
The local cop shop may do this as a courtesy, but if seller says no...........walk away.

CBR 600's were hot property back in the day and probably still are.

Good luck!


Doc



"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
ST-DocLizard1 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
I'm considering getting an 94 Honda CBR600 F2 track bike. It comes with stands and new Pilot Powers, and has track plastics and is turn key and ready to go. It has some goodies like stainless lines and vortex rearsets, yoshi exhaust, but the suspension looks to be mostly stock. No title. Does anyone have any idea what it's value is? Specifically what can I reasonably expect to get when i want to sell it later on? (assuming it's in the same condition as I bought it in) I dont want to grossly over pay... (I thought I had a fair deal worked out, and now a friend is trying to convince me otherwise)
Initially, you'd likely be faster on the 919 than the old F2.
It took me 7 sessions before I even matched my 919 times on my 07 GSX-R 750, and that was on a so called horsepower track with a mega long straight.
(the 750 was very alien to me in every way, and serious rider adjustment was needed)

If you are going to do lots of track time, a dedicated track bike is great.
But if you are only going to go out half a dozen times a year, you might be better off doing some track oriented prep on the 919, especially if it is a short track.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Immune
 
bocomomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 312
Rep Power: 1
 
A friend of mine went and checked it out, and test drove it. It was in good mechanical shape, and truely turn key ready to go. He agreed with mcromo44 in that he felt that I would be faster and prefer to ride the 919. But he also pointed out that I wouldn't have to worry about wrecking the 919 if I were on the 600, and that single point is what won both us over. We both discussed how the 600 was going to expect alot more of me concerning skill, and decided that perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing (lap times dont really matter right now). He thought that it just might make a better rider of me in the long run. I'll still be on the lookout for a well fitted SV650 (what I was searching for origionally), but for now I have something I can work on corners without as much worry. And the 919 will still come along to the track.

bocomomark is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: redondo beach
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 1
 
I had an F2 and F3. Loved em... Decent handling and power, with an upright riding position. They're pretty tough too if you happen to crash into something, like the ground. I personally think you'll go fast on the old CBR than a 919.

trailwing is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
A friend of mine went and checked it out, and test drove it. It was in good mechanical shape, and truely turn key ready to go. He agreed with mcromo44 in that he felt that I would be faster and prefer to ride the 919. But he also pointed out that I wouldn't have to worry about wrecking the 919 if I were on the 600, and that single point is what won both us over. We both discussed how the 600 was going to expect alot more of me concerning skill, and decided that perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing (lap times dont really matter right now). He thought that it just might make a better rider of me in the long run. I'll still be on the lookout for a well fitted SV650 (what I was searching for origionally), but for now I have something I can work on corners without as much worry. And the 919 will still come along to the track.
You'll have fun on the 600 and not need to worry about getoffs in terms of damaging your prize.
And I'm glad to read that your 919 will still get some track time.
Go and have some fun !!!!
On both of them.

mcromo44 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome