Edwards replaced? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Edwards replaced?

Just ran across this article on crash.net. Looks like Yamaha found a replacement for Edwards. Should be interesting to see what Lorenzo can do since he's been doing so well in the 250 class. Of course, he would be riding alongside the Doctor, and it's been pointed out before that his bike might not get the best set-up because of this.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~151875.htm

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Well that begs the question. Where the hell is Colin going?

post #3 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Well, if you believe Colin is out, here's another strong rumor... Rossi has said that there's no way Lorenzo is going to be teamed with him, also, it is said that Rossi may have his own team next yeat with Bridgestones! so that Lorenzo & Colin can pair up together since they still need Colin's input and setup capabilities.

How do you like them apples now?

post #4 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Well, if you believe Colin is out, here's another strong rumor... Rossi has said that there's no way Lorenzo is going to be teamed with him, also, it is said that Rossi may have his own team next yeat with Bridgestones! so that Lorenzo & Colin can pair up together since they still need Colin's input and setup capabilities.

According to the article, it's no rumor. Lorenzo is signed to a two-year deal. Would Yamaha purposely sign someone their star rider refuses to team with? Could they be that dumb?

-Joe
post #5 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

If I was Rossi, there would be no way I'd let them put Lorenzo on my team. I honestly can't stand the kid and he's too flambouant for Rossi (younger version of Rossi vs Max days). He's the polar oppossite of Pedrosa.

I could see Edwards and Lorenzo on the same team and Colin even helping Lorenzo. Edwards has become the "team player" and will take a ride for a job. Colin... "you wanna be a loud mouth brat and stick suckers in your mouth... so be it."

post #6 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Okay, so Rossi would form a team of his own, and have Bridgestone supply his tires? Great idea, and I know Rossi is worth a fortune, but does he have the money to pull off something like that? I mean, look at the Robert's team? They have quite a bit of money too, don't they?

Please take all my questions with a grain of salt. I really don't know the history or specifics behind a lot of this. I'm asking the questions because I am truly interested in the answers.

-Joe
post #7 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Colin said on SOUP that he would consider racing in the AMA with the right package.

Likely he'll be racing for Yamaha USA; as he is supposed to have very good relationship with them.

post #8 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Wow.....................

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #9 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

he'll ride with Tech 3 Yamaha...
or one of the satelite Honda teams.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
Colin said on SOUP that he would consider racing in the AMA with the right package.

Likely he'll be racing for Yamaha USA; as he is supposed to have very good relationship with them.

I would love to watch Colin back in WSBK. Although if he was on a factory Yamaha I think he could spank Mladin and Spies.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #11 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 02:39 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
According to the article, it's no rumor. Lorenzo is signed to a two-year deal. Would Yamaha purposely sign someone their star rider refuses to team with? Could they be that dumb?
I never said the Lorenzo deal was a rumor... The Lorenzo two year contract is there and for real... I just said he will not be paired up with Rossi or rather, Rossi has said that he's not ok with Lorenzo as a teammate and you can bet that what Rossi wants, Rossi gets. Lorenzo is no fluke so Yamaha might invest on a 3 rider quest putting Lorenzo on a separate or different team. Perhaps Tech 3 Yamaha will no longer be the red headed step child for Yamah and will now have more backing and better tires with Lorenzo and Guintoli.

Being said that, I do believe that Lorenzo would be better off paired up with Edwards as he can learn a thing or two from the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47
Okay, so Rossi would form a team of his own, and have Bridgestone supply his tires? Great idea, and I know Rossi is worth a fortune, but does he have the money to pull off something like that? I mean, look at the Robert's team? They have quite a bit of money too, don't they?

Please take all my questions with a grain of salt. I really don't know the history or specifics behind a lot of this. I'm asking the questions because I am truly interested in the answers.
Rossi's got more money than Ali Baba and the 40 thieves but he's no Idiot, he will be with Yamaha but with his own team + Bridgestone tires... kinda like when he switch to Honda for the 500GP where he had HRC backing back Nastro Azzurro was his main sponsor and not Repsol/HRC... sorry if I made it sound like he was going private (ala KRSr). Again, This is just a rumor for silly season.

post #12 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Lorenzo is no fluke so Yamaha might invest on a 3 rider quest putting Lorenzo on a separate or different team. Perhaps Tech 3 Yamaha will no longer be the red headed step child for Yamah and will now have more backing and better tires with Lorenzo and Guintoli.
Okay, that's where I was lost. I assumed that since he signed with Yamaha, that meant the factory team. I didn't realize that Yamaha could move him over to one of the satellite teams.

I show you my ignorance...

-Joe
post #13 of 23 Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

why would Yamaha run three bikes when they were the last to get sponsored last year.

i dont see them doing that one bit.
Edwards is out... good dude, but bad luck seems to meet him at the end of the race no matter how good the rest of the race is.

Quote:
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I can't see Rossi teamed with anyone that would attempt to draw the spotlight off him. Not that Rossi is a media hound...but he knows the value of maintaining his "image", it's a lot more than just championships that has gotten Rossi where he is. He won't tolerate someone on his own team sharing that spotlight...he's too smart and knows he doesn't have to put up with that. Edwards was his dream team....a guy that really knows the game and really knows race bikes but just wants the job. I have no doubt that Edwards would move over and let Rossi by if a championship depended on it. Edwards has already shown his willingness to hold off hard chargers as long as possible when he's behind Rossi.

Remember...if Rossi started his own team...money would not be an issue, the guy brings millions and millions of dollars of sponsorship to whatever team he goes to. It's not a one sided thing...it's not all Yamaha paying Rossi, when a top rider signs with a team part of the deal is the sponsors that the rider brings with him, whether it be tires, helmets, leathers, etc it's cash the manufacturer doesn't have to come up with to support the team. The manufacturer typically pays the rider salary and provides the bikes, often the rider is expected to bring on board his own sponsors for much of the ancillary costs of the team.

Big time sponsors could care less who is making the motorcycles, they care about the rider....just like big time stars in other sports... nike didn't care who Jordon played for, they cared about who Jordon is. If Rossi went to Kawasaki the sponsors would still be there because of the attention he would get regardless of what bike he rides.

Edwards best move now would be to stay with Yamaha if they will pay what he wants for his testing expertise...or to go to a series where he has a chance of winning. His chances are non-existant of winning a championship or being a force in MotoGP (although being in the top ten every year is still impressive). And to be honest I don't think he has what it takes to be a force in WSBK....maybe AMA superbike. Problem there is the Suzuki's have been so clearly dominate in the series that if he wasn't riding for them he wouldn't see the podium much either.
JohnnyB

post #15 of 23 Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I can't see Rossi teamed with anyone that would attempt to draw the spotlight off him. Not that Rossi is a media hound...but he knows the value of maintaining his "image", it's a lot more than just championships that has gotten Rossi where he is. He won't tolerate someone on his own team sharing that spotlight...he's too smart and knows he doesn't have to put up with that. Edwards was his dream team....a guy that really knows the game and really knows race bikes but just wants the job. I have no doubt that Edwards would move over and let Rossi by if a championship depended on it. Edwards has already shown his willingness to hold off hard chargers as long as possible when he's behind Rossi.

Remember...if Rossi started his own team...money would not be an issue, the guy brings millions and millions of dollars of sponsorship to whatever team he goes to. It's not a one sided thing...it's not all Yamaha paying Rossi, when a top rider signs with a team part of the deal is the sponsors that the rider brings with him, whether it be tires, helmets, leathers, etc it's cash the manufacturer doesn't have to come up with to support the team. The manufacturer typically pays the rider salary and provides the bikes, often the rider is expected to bring on board his own sponsors for much of the ancillary costs of the team.

Big time sponsors could care less who is making the motorcycles, they care about the rider....just like big time stars in other sports... nike didn't care who Jordon played for, they cared about who Jordon is. If Rossi went to Kawasaki the sponsors would still be there because of the attention he would get regardless of what bike he rides.

Edwards best move now would be to stay with Yamaha if they will pay what he wants for his testing expertise...or to go to a series where he has a chance of winning. His chances are non-existant of winning a championship or being a force in MotoGP (although being in the top ten every year is still impressive). And to be honest I don't think he has what it takes to be a force in WSBK....maybe AMA superbike. Problem there is the Suzuki's have been so clearly dominate in the series that if he wasn't riding for them he wouldn't see the podium much either.
JohnnyB
best post ive readon ANY forum all day long. make that all week.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't think Colin want to be on a second rate satellite MotoGP team. He had a rough go with a factory team so stepping down won't help his chances.

Colin will make more running AMA than he ever will in WSBK. If you need proof just look at what Mladin is flying around in. On top of that, he can be home with wife and kids on the Monday after a race weekend.

post #17 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase

It's a tough call...not knowing Edwards personally I don't know how much his ego will play a part. Some would consider the move to AMA a big demotion...but then Edwards doesn't have to justify or prove himself to anyone at this point. He's accomplished an awful lot in his career. I don't doubt his skill to do very well in AMA SB, but I'm not sure if the winning equipment would be forthcoming.
Edwards has proved himself a valuable experienced asset to any team and would probably excell in any position from test rider to racer to team manager. I wish him the best, he's got a great combination of "attitude" but willingness to cooperate with the team. No doubt he could retire from riding at this point and still make a fine living elsewhere in the sport.
He's always impressed me when he's got the right bike under him, he has moments of brillance on the track that often seem at odds with his overall results.
JohnnnyB

PS. Thank Snikwad....I'm a big fan of racing and all the "business" behind it.

post #18 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Awards Showcase

In the superbikeplanet interview, Edwards said that he knows he's only getting older but an AMA SBK ride is on his sights as he was never able to win a championship on it and he wants it. +1 on what JB said, Yamaha might give him that AMA SBK ride but how long will it take them to be on par with Suzuki? Mladin is no slouch but I know Colin would kick his ass in a level playing field but, alas, Yamaha doesn't have it yet. I am not even going to bring Spies into the table as it appears that he's moving to MotoGP soon so Colin won't have to content with him.

Can they (Yamaha) pour money into an SBK effort to accomplish a AMA Championship? Sure they can but, do they really want to spend all that money to just give Colin a Championship in the AMA? Hmmm, doubtful... I wish they did though as I can no longer digest this suzuki fest we seem to be having as of late.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase

I don't think I've actually watched an AMA SB race in months...now I like Honda...and I like to see them win....but even if Honda was winning like Suzuki is now I'd get bored with it. Specially with the same players over and over.
JohnnyB

post #20 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

If colin went to AMA id prolly start watching it.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM
WoW

Quote:
In the superbikeplanet interview, Edwards said that he knows he's only getting older but an AMA SBK ride is on his sights as he was never able to win a championship on it and he wants it. +1 on what JB said, Yamaha might give him that AMA SBK ride but how long will it take them to be on par with Suzuki? Mladin is no slouch but I know Colin would kick his ass in a level playing field but, alas, Yamaha doesn't have it yet. I am not even going to bring Spies into the table as it appears that he's moving to MotoGP soon so Colin won't have to content with him.

Can they (Yamaha) pour money into an SBK effort to accomplish a AMA Championship? Sure they can but, do they really want to spend all that money to just give Colin a Championship in the AMA? Hmmm, doubtful... I wish they did though as I can no longer digest this suzuki fest we seem to be having as of late.
Bostrom qualifies well,, and has been out front for a few laps, then he ends up like 9th...that says to me rider, not bike. There is no way a bike chews tires that fast. I don't think Colin needs a bike as good as the Suzuki to whoop Mladins ass.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #22 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
I wish they would........I wish that somebody would.

Why not Yamaha? They might sell a few more R1's and they'd have some friggin bragggin rights for once in Superbike in this country.....

post #23 of 23 Old 07-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
I wish they would........I wish that somebody would.

Why not Yamaha? They might sell a few more R1's and they'd have some friggin bragggin rights for once in Superbike in this country.....
I think they are selling more Yamahas because of Rossi than because of Colin... he has been out of the US a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedfreak
Bostrom qualifies well,, and has been out front for a few laps, then he ends up like 9th...that says to me rider, not bike. There is no way a bike chews tires that fast. I don't think Colin needs a bike as good as the Suzuki to whoop Mladins ass.
I beg to differ, I remember Eric on the ole Kawasaki giving them boys hell on their new shinny model scoots... AMA Yamahas are as close as the AMA Suzukis as the KR Hondas are to the Ducatis in MotoGP.

Colin would need a much better bike than that to go toe to toe with the Dickdlin. Remember, Suzuki was cheating with Traction control far before they (AMA) decided to level the playing field... you just can't come up with it even if you pour tons and tons of money into it.

@ JohnnyB... I think I watched like 10 minutes of the AMA Miller Motorsports race. Ok, so I watched the AMA Laguna event because I was there and because there was a nice 2 way battle for 3rd between Miguel, Hogdson & the kicker dude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode