Does track riding decrease ones appreciation of street riding? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Does track riding decrease ones appreciation of street riding?

Will street riding become boring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Not for me.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

For me it was absolutely. I lost all interest in riding a sportbike on the street.

The nice thing is you start to broaden your horizons for what makes a proper street motorcycle. You'll appreciate nakeds, dual sports, even cruisers and sport tourers. To this day I have no interest in owning a sportbike for the street.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If you consider street riding boring you need to quit. Myself I feel more challenges on the street than a track. Doesn't matter what bike I ride.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

[I think its a "phase" some of us go thru. Actually, I notice that alot of people go thru that phase, but I can only speak for myself.

Having 1 bike definatley makes it a little more difficult. The headache of swapping street/track bodywork sometimes twice a month becomes tiresome relatively quickly and for me at least eventually led to not even bothering to do the work in order to ride to work a few days a week and make a trip to the mountains between trackdays.

That being said, if I had 2 bikes I still think my street riding would've decreased by at least 80% once I really got into the track thing.

But like I said, I think it's a phase. Eventually most people who "give up" street riding, return to it with a whole new appreciation for simply riding to work or take a weekend trip 3 states away.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
For me it was absolutely. I lost all interest in riding a sportbike on the street.

The nice thing is you start to broaden your horizons for what makes a proper street motorcycle. You'll appreciate nakeds, dual sports, even cruisers and sport tourers. To this day I have no interest in owning a sportbike for the street.
I have to agree with this... that's why i ride the 9ner on the street.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

+1 to what jet stated. I appreciated a broader application for my riding after doing trackdays. I lost all interest in riding sportbikes on anything other than a track and I quickly found the fun in motorcycling again by riding a more suitable machine on the street.

post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
[I think its a "phase" some of us go thru. Actually, I notice that alot of people go thru that phase, but I can only speak for myself.

Having 1 bike definatley makes it a little more difficult. The headache of swapping street/track bodywork sometimes twice a month becomes tiresome relatively quickly and for me at least eventually led to not even bothering to do the work in order to ride to work a few days a week and make a trip to the mountains between trackdays.

That being said, if I had 2 bikes I still think my street riding would've decreased by at least 80% once I really got into the track thing.

But like I said, I think it's a phase. Eventually most people who "give up" street riding, return to it with a whole new appreciation for simply riding to work or take a weekend trip 3 states away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
I have to agree with this... that's why i ride the 9ner on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
+1 to what jet stated. I appreciated a broader application for my riding after doing trackdays. I lost all interest in riding sportbikes on anything other than a track and I quickly found the fun in motorcycling again by riding a more suitable machine on the street.
This is what scares me the most about going to the track. I am only really interested in sporty bikes right now. Maybe because I am only 20?

post #9 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Thank you all for your responses.
This is what scares me the most about going to the track. I am only really interested in sporty bikes right now. Maybe because I am only 20?
i got to be the same way this fall. i've had my cbr on the street a handful of times this year since i converted it completely to track and have been on sport bikes about the same. i'm interested in either an sm, a nekkid or a sport tourer as a next street bike. for me, it was the knowledge that i could not push myself on the street and getting to the track 10 times this year has been the breaking point.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

^ to what has been said. Once you see that your bike is capable of truly amazing stuff, its hard to not tide it to that level every time you leave your driveway . Ive put a whole lot more miles on the KLR or the Guzzi than my Tuono lately, and after riding with the new exhaust and map, I rember why !

post #11 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Track riding does change your perception of street riding. You can't ride the same unless you like riding in the back of an ambulance or on a helicopter. It does make you a better rider. I think your better equipped to cope with variables on the road. There are times I think that street riding is not for me.
On the other hand nothing like going for a spirited ride on a Sunday morning. Enjoying the scenery and weather is much better than doing the same road ina cage

post #12 of 13 Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

I still ride Street and as you know I am an Instructor for CalSportbike TrackXperience so you know I get plenty of track time...

but since riding on the track my desire for riding at a very fast or even at a simi fast pace on the street/canyons/mountains has dropped to not fast at all, now it's at the speed limit! I love riding and I ride every chance I get, I also dirt bike so I get plenty riding time no matter what it is I do!

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689
post #13 of 13 Old 10-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Optio

This thread should be sent out to all the news media around. Help edjucate ani race track folks.

I to love track days. Have an f4i for track use and a 919/450x for the street. I slow down alot after a good track day. It gets it out of my system and lets me enjoy all the other joys of riding. Great views, the smells, just relaxing and cruising threw the corners. Its nice to look around instead of concentrating on dodging radar from the police.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode