djs-tx, XRCajun, and Rob919 do their first Track Day at MSR-H!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

djs-tx, XRCajun, and Rob919 do their first Track Day at MSR-H!!

And it was awesome, to say the least!!
(I posted this also in David's thread, but thought I should also post a seperate thread just for the pics, as well as the experience)

I may not have done this at all, had it not been for members and sponsors of MotoHouston.com offering 5 free track days to 5 noobs! I was the last to enter the raffle, and the last of the 5 to be picked!!!

Here's a pic of me at the track, taken by SBK Pilot of MotoHouston.com!!

Some more pics by some other members of MH

XRCajun seated on the left behind his XR, and djs standing in the center between the 919s

XRCajun taking a break between sessions

My 919 on the left, and David's on the right

My bike on the left, and XRCajun's 650R motard on the right

Two 919s strike a pose

I've seen some pics of David and Jim on the track. I'll try to fish them out, and post them here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Great fun!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great pics an you guys look like pros out there. Thanks for the pics

post #4 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice to see some 9ers at the track, and that motard looks sweet. Thanks for the pics.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #6 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

congratulations! Looks like you had great fun, ready to buy a trackbike now?

XRCajun's CRF = sweet!

post #7 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
congratulations! Looks like you had great fun, ready to buy a trackbike now?

XRCajun's CRF = sweet!
Look again Jet it is an XR650R and I'll tell you with the exception or a very long straight it gave most of those 600's hell. I ran a little with a Aprilla 5.5 SM and stayed right with him in the straights.

It was a ton-o-fun!

Rob that first picture of you make that turn is awesome I think you should print and frame that one.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Look again Jet it is an XR650R and I'll tell you with the exception or a very long straight it gave most of those 600's hell. I ran a little with a Aprilla 5.5 SM and stayed right with him in the straights.

It was a ton-o-fun!

Rob that first picture of you make that turn is awesome I think you should print and frame that one.
Looks like a great day.

XRCajun, yes I'm very jealous!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post

It was a ton-o-fun!

I'll be damned, I missed that! That's even cooler!

post #10 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
I'll be damned, I missed that! That's even cooler!
I thought the XR was air-cooled? I just noticed it wasn't.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #11 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Rob,

where are you getting these pics from?

David

post #12 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I thought the XR was air-cooled? I just noticed it wasn't.
The older XR650L is air cooled.

post #13 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That's awesome guys. I'm jealous.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #14 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Good stuff Congrats.

Just curious tho, what's that boted to the undernearh of the 919 in the 1st pic? Looks like a snow shovel and it's about to touch down. You have enough lean, did you get a knee down?

post #15 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Good stuff Congrats.

Just curious tho, what's that boted to the undernearh of the 919 in the 1st pic? Looks like a snow shovel and it's about to touch down. You have enough lean, did you get a knee down?
On the right side, front? That's a PIAA Sport Horn. That thing is LOUD!!

I didn't get a knee down, although they taught us how to do it. They told us not to sweat it if we couldn't, since it was our first time at the track, and that some of them didn't get a knee down for a year, even while winning races!! I'm gonna work on that sooner or later, and I was trying, but I just figured I wasn't "distorting" my body enough to get it down! One particular guy, an Instructor, was crazy fast and looked like a monkey on his bike goin' ape!!

A few of the instructors came up to me and told me my form looked great overall, but sometimes inconsistant as I went through a series of turns. It'll come with time, but I had it down right when I had it right. I need to work on my exit speed, and fire myself out of a turn. I'm so used to street riding and slowly rolling the throttle out of the turns. I basicly need to drop it down a gear, and hang on for the launch!! But they said I looked great overall, and I could advance to the next level on my next track day.

But like I said, XRCajun is one fast dude on that 'tard!! He can definitely go up a level or 2

post #16 of 21 Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Rob,

where are you getting these pics from?

David
There were several riders who posted their pics. One of them has a wife who's a pro portrait photographer http://pelataphotography.com/ i think I've seen a couple of pics of you in here, including one in the hot pit lane taking intruction from Mike. I even saw some pics of XRCajun and me in there as well.

post #17 of 21 Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I've been turning over in my head for a couple of days what to say. The Track day was not what I expected. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing a track day, it was an immensely valuable learning experience. But the ratio of fun to terror was not what I imagined.

A lot of it has to do with who I am and where I'm coming from. I'm not the most physically graceful or coordinated guy, I've always struggled with fine motor skills. I knew coming into the track day that I would be a slow guy.

It took four half hour sessions before I learned enough of the track and was comfortable enough not to be terrified. And then the learning began.

Lesson 1: Just because you have 50,000 street miles, that does not mean you know how to ride well. It just means you have a lot of practice riding wrong. I discovered that you really should put the ball of your foot on the peg so that you don't scare the [email protected] out of yourself when you drag toe.

Lesson 2: Once your feet are in the right spot, if you get confident in your lean angles you can then scare the [email protected] out of yourself by dragging peg feelers. I should have removed them.

Lesson 3: Just because your bike has rear preload adjustment only, you should not ignore the one suspension setting you have. I forgot to take my little adjustment wrench so I rode all day with the rear preload backed all the way out. The back end was so soft that I wallowed a bit in the corners.

Lesson 4: If you're in a curve and you're scared, just keep leaning. If you stand it up, you will go off the track and probably wreck. If you lean further you'll probably be surprised what the bike is capable of.

I'm an old fart (though I guess I'm probably younger than XRcajun and Rob). My bike is my daily commuter. I'll admit that I was scared of wrecking for both physical injury and tearing up the best bike I've owned. Add in my natural clumsiness and this particular track day was a little scary. But I learned a lot.

I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I used to make fun of people who cared about chicken strips and thought it was a stupid thing to judge people by. But dang am I proud that I scrubbed mine off.

The other interesting part of the story was the guy I rode with. I hitched a ride from one of the instructors who lives near me. He rode an Aprilia SuperMotard. He made a simple but painful mistake. He filled his coolant reservoir (with coolant). When his bike got good and hot, it overflowed the reservoir. Right onto his back tire. Tire spun up exiting a curve, caught, then highsided him right into a broken collarbone. So that probably played into the fear part knowing that even the experts are one mistake away from 8 weeks in a sling.

David

post #18 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

I had a Gopro camera setup on my bike. Here's a video of one of the sessions. I waited in the Hot Pit Row for Jim XRCajun to get around the track. He was ahead of me when I pulled in, so I waited about a 1 to 1-1/2 minutes before taking off. It worked out great, since he caught up to me about halfway through!!
[youtube]JkhIinXS0zM[/youtube]

btw, I don't know what the deal is with no sound. I heard it has something to do with Windows Vista, but unfortunately the only video editing software I have is on my laptop with Vista. The sound is fine on my other laptop, which has XP. Anyone know how to fix this?

post #19 of 21 Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Video no work?

David

post #20 of 21 Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Video no work?

David
Wrong Thread! Here https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11408

post #21 of 21 Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

David, I know just what you mean. I have a feeling that you're being awfully hard on yourself. Geez! if you're getting pegs down on your first track day, you are definately doing a good job. My first track day, I hated it. The second track day, I fell off and swore never again. My 3rd track day may have been the best riding day of my life. I agree with everything you said.

You've done a good job. Go again. Relax. The pressure is off. Have fun. Work on your form.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode