Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit

I'm considering my first track day sometime later this year if I can gather the remaining gear I require.

I'm wondering if anyone has any input on Blackhawk Farms as it's the likely destination for my first attempt given the price and proximity to my home.

LINKY>>>Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Dragon Slayer

Did Blackhawk farms 2 times in 2004. It's nice. The Buell guys have track days you can get in on. Also Private Track Time ran a good group too.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oak,

Did you get enough tracktime for the price?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Dragon Slayer

iirc we started at 8am and rode till 4pm in 20 min shifts. each class got 20 minutes out of each hour. you need to get there early to set up and get the saftey inspection. have to tape up all your lights and signals. bring a bike stand just in case the make you take off your kick stand. some just have you tie it up with zip tie. bring lots of water. and dont forget saftey gear. each group has slightly diff requirements.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
iirc we started at 8am and rode till 4pm in 20 min shifts. each class got 20 minutes out of each hour. you need to get there early to set up and get the saftey inspection. have to tape up all your lights and signals. bring a bike stand just in case the make you take off your kick stand. some just have you tie it up with zip tie. bring lots of water. and dont forget saftey gear. each group has slightly diff requirements.
It's getting more and more difficult as I learn more.

Maybe I don't need another expensive hobby?

post #6 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ya know, Teej, I was considering doing the same thing. Then I read another thread that suggested it might be better to wait until you have dedicated track bike and a trailer in the event you go down and the bike takes serious damage. Don't wanna walk home from b/f.

Otherwise, I watched some riders last year and it looks like a great place to learn. NESBA does their thing every year there. They seem serious yet polite.
(could i be more generic?)

Did you find leather that fits?

post #7 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post

Oh stop it, its not that much of a PITA -
Taping will take all of 30 minutes, jsut make sure to use painters tape, I am amazed of how many poeple use Duct tape ! What a mess that must be to clean up ! Just make sure to pull your fueses ---
As for the side stand, how low do the ones on the 919 hang down ? Id almost be willing to bet you'll be ok leaving it on. Ive seen NESBA allow alot of side stands to remain on in the past -
A track day has got to be one of the best things one can do for thier riding, you will be surprised on how much better you will ride post trackday ! In reading the info , sounds like the track runs a good into school as well ! I sat go for it !
Re. time on the track , you will be surprised how long 20 minutes feels your first day or two ! Its alot of work getting a bike around a track, you'll find muscles sore that you didnt even know you had !

post #8 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post

First time I went we rode down and back. I was dead tired afterword. The second time we took a trailer. Better deal by far.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Oh stop it, its not that much of a PITA -
Taping will take all of 30 minutes, jsut make sure to use painters tape, I am amazed of how many poeple use Duct tape ! What a mess that must be to clean up ! Just make sure to pull your fueses ---
As for the side stand, how low do the ones on the 919 hang down ? Id almost be willing to bet you'll be ok leaving it on. Ive seen NESBA allow alot of side stands to remain on in the past -
A track day has got to be one of the best things one can do for thier riding, you will be surprised on how much better you will ride post trackday ! In reading the info , sounds like the track runs a good into school as well ! I sat go for it !
Re. time on the track , you will be surprised how long 20 minutes feels your first day or two ! Its alot of work getting a bike around a track, you'll find muscles sore that you didnt even know you had !
We did not have to take our stands off but we did have to tie them up. No big deal just leave the loop big enough so you can slide it off. And 20 minutes on the track at pace is a workout. It's a blast, but both you and the bike will appreciate the rest in between runs. Masking tape or "painters" tape comes in different colors. And it goes quickly.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Prepping for a trackday is nuttin.

Yank off your mirrors and tape up your lights. Disconnect your headlights and taillights.

Prep will take 10-15 minutes.

Find out the requirements of the people running the trackday, that's usually all it takes though. I've been to numerous track days with a bunch of different organizations and no one has every said anything about a kickstand to me.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 11 Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Its a pretty tight small track too... would be fine for a 919.

Not much to prep for an entry level day of riding.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode