Atlanta area newbie trackday Info??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Cool Atlanta area newbie trackday Info???

Hello

Was wondering if anyone knows of specific 411 on affordable Atlanta track experience for newbie how's ridden on the street for decades but never on the track. Look'in for minimum bike prep required & basic technic & track behavior instuctions...

Have a 2003 919 sitting in atlanta at a friends & will have to drive it to the event. Maybe early Jan. or early summer time. I'll travel out there & would like to hookup some track beginner experience.

YAAWZZU!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Theres always Road Atlanta, however , its not a cheap track to ride one - but, they have medical that are always there and its a awe inspiring track. NESBA goes there and I think Team Pro Motion does also -
http://www.nesba.com/
http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php

But, if you are totally new to the track, I as Im sure many other will, would highly recomend taking a good track school. It will teach you the correct stuff to do before you get any bad habits or unsafe stuff.
Regardless, youll love the track, it really gives you an apperication of how good the new bikes are !

post #3 of 18 Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Like 2ohno said, you're better off with a track school.
You'll learn a lot more and can use that knowledge on the street.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Thks for the postings, any info or links to nearby Atlanta Track Schools and preposed scheduals would be great...

YAAWZZU!!!

post #5 of 18 Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Looked at the Road Atlanta link, Kevin Schwartz school way to expensive, not look'in to become competitive just want some education & the oportunity to ride in a safer invironment than the street and check myself out on the 919 and a road track, before shipping it out here to So. Cal.

Roebling road to far away for practical reasons not discussed here... Any suggestions

YAAWZZU!!!

post #6 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

How about FREE?

Nesba offer an introduction 1/2 day (2 sessions) at no charge.

http://www.nesba.com/info/intro.aspx

post #7 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
How about FREE?

Nesba offer an introduction 1/2 day (2 sessions) at no charge.

http://www.nesba.com/info/intro.aspx

I'm thinking of doing this myself next season before doing a full track day...Heard these freebee's get kinda crowded and may not even be worth it...Any suggestions?

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin996rider View Post
I'm thinking of doing this myself next season before doing a full track day...Heard these freebee's get kinda crowded and may not even be worth it...Any suggestions?
Register NOW !!!! First come, first serve -

post #9 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY HERRELL View Post
Looked at the Road Atlanta link, Kevin Schwartz school way to expensive, not look'in to become competitive just want some education & the oportunity to ride in a safer invironment than the street and check myself out on the 919 and a road track, before shipping it out here to So. Cal.

Roebling road to far away for practical reasons not discussed here... Any suggestions

Ifyou want to do Road A - Schwantz or NESBA - I have not found where they are letting anyone else out there next year -
As for the Schwantz thing - its not really designed for the racer types , but, more for riders who want to ride a trackday here and there and want to have alot more controll on the street. My dad and brother went last year and Dad loved it, brother , not so much. Dad has doen a few days and really enjoyed the school, my brother races and is a controll rider with NESBA and really didnt get alot out of it - Yeah , its a chunk of change, but, its a good quaility school with tons of one on one attention from some really great/fast/cool riders. And Kevins dad cooks lunch and yo uget to have margarits with the gang one night .

As for myself, I did Jamie James school this year and loved it ! Well worth the coin and I plan on going back next year -

post #10 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin996rider View Post
The intro group will be pretty tame. It is, afterall an "introduction" to track riding.

You'll only get 2 (20 minute) sessions on track, and a little instruction concerning the Rules of track riding. You'll be finished by lunchtime. The reality is that the "Intro" deal is your first "taste". They offer it for free because 99% come back and pay for full days. Most "Intro" riders wish they had purchased a full day to begin with because they want back on the track THAT day.

If your close to a track its worth it. If you've gotta haul yourself 3 hours to get to the track you may as well pony up the cash for a full day.......

or 2.....
or 3

post #11 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
As for myself, I did Jamie James school this year and loved it ! Well worth the coin and I plan on going back next year -
IF it's there. They should open it up to bikes other than Yami's.

post #12 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
The intro group will be pretty tame. It is, afterall an "introduction" to track riding.

You'll only get 2 (20 minute) sessions on track, and a little instruction concerning the Rules of track riding. You'll be finished by lunchtime. The reality is that the "Intro" deal is your first "taste". They offer it for free because 99% come back and pay for full days. Most "Intro" riders wish they had purchased a full day to begin with because they want back on the track THAT day.

If your close to a track its worth it. If you've gotta haul yourself 3 hours to get to the track you may as well pony up the cash for a full day.......

or 2.....
or 3

Thanks...I've read up on the NESBA site so we'll see. I'm in Va...around 3 hrs from VIR

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #13 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 AM

The intro group is a great way to "get your feet wet" on the track, but like he said we get about 99% of the intro's staying for the full day. Yes... it is that addictive. I know I am a little bias (I am a control rider for NESBA), but trackdays offer a little more bang for your buck as far a track time versus cost. And probably most importantly, you end up making a boat load of friends, all of which are just as obsessed with the track as you! and you can do them more often.
Oh and Road Atlanta is a freaking awesome track. Definately in my top 3

post #14 of 18 Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

What about south of Atlanta area? Say northern Alabama any tracks in that area to lookup!

YAAWZZU!!!

post #15 of 18 Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

In Alabama , there is only one to look for, the Mecca called Barbers Motorsports Park - insert angels sining or what not - Its a couple of hours west of Atlanta, not a bad drive . Or, Im biased here casue its so close to me, have you thought about VIR ? Great track it is !

Barbers is reallly great with a very challenging track with some very unique turns and the museum is beyond words !

post #16 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Enormous member

Hey Jeffrey - this is a track day I put on every year, and we usually have at least a couple of newbs. Very good experience, since there are a lot of experienced riders who are very willing to help you out, and it's all very relaxed. Check it out.

post #17 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Out of State, and enrolled in school till June but THKs for the heads-up...

YAAWZZU!!!

post #18 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Enormous member

Just FYI, Jeff, you're probably going to have to go out of state to get an affordable track day. I also don't generally recommend riding to them, either, but that's up to you. I certainly have seen it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode