A full time track bike - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

A full time track bike

Alright I'll admit it, I've been bitten by the bug. Going to track was more fun than I've ever had in my bike.

While I was there I also won a free track day at buttonwillow.

So I think the big man is trying to send me a message and I want to follow through. But in typical fashion is like to hear what y'all guys think.

Pros-
Save money
Less risk
More fun
Initial cost already done and over
No tickets

Cons-
No more street riding (for now)
.......?

And I know the 919 isn't the MOST ideal track bike but I've already got her, got some good work done to her, and am quite fond of her.

So there it is. Lay it on me, what're your thoughts on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

why would you need to make it track only? It should take less than an hour to prep your bike for the track if you keep using the 919 (I did for my first few track days) and then once you decide to get more serious you can find a wrecked bike with fairing damage or an already converted track bike for cheap and use that as a track only bike.....

I think I may be misunderstanding the question.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

It would be track only but I wouldn't set it up with different body work or do anything irreversible.

It would be track dedicated so that I could save my monthly expenses on the bike, only to put it towards a ticket every couple months plus whatever other expenses. I've done the math and I'll be saving a tiny bit by doing this.

And a second bike at the moment is out of the question. To many expenses as is with my newly started family. But down the road when my career actually starts I'll pick something else up.

No questions really, maybe some advice or experience to share would be nice though.

post #4 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

The 919 isn't a perfect track bike, but it's far from the worst and will work well to get your feet wet. I guess all I can say is good luck. I love track days and plan on getting into racing this year as well, but only getting to ride once or even twice a month wouldn't be enough for me.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 12:24 PM
just send it.

Garage
I was in the same boat. For me it came down to this; I could pick up a dirt cheap race bike that has been ridden hard and put away wet, or I risk wadding up my DD. I figured, if I could pick up a race bike for what it would cost to 'fix' my VFR, then I'm ahead. That way, if I crash it, I can fix what I need (since it's not purdy anyways) and keep riding. If I don't crash it, and get bored of track days (yeah right), I could sell it for the amount I paid for it.

Of course I ended up spending more than I wanted... and it needs a little work... but you only live once.

If I was you, and you are stuck with 'one' bike, I'd make the 9er run double duty. What 'monthly' expenses are you talking about? The 9er is dirt cheap to ride.

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Full coverage with two tickets cost me 90 a month >, Maintenance, Gas. Just the usual.

It's been in my mind that I need to put the street riding to rest for a bit. My wife loses her mind sometimes with how scared she gets and I couldn't forgive myself if something did happen. Though I know I'm still going to go down eventually at the track at least I won't be getting pinned by a cager and it would relieve stress for her.

A second bike is in my future but in the next couple of years. In the mean time I figure I'll just keep it to the track and have the time of my life.

If I change my mind there's not much to lose I can always go back and re-insure it.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 04:15 PM
McTavish

If you feel giving up street riding will be a sacrifice, as compared to just doing one of life's lane changes, then I'd suggest keeping the 919 and track it as is, and if you can afford it, upgrade the suspension.
If you're OK not doing street riding, you should be able to buy an old but good ex racer that should need nothing but tires, or maybe some fresh front brake pads also.
Or shop for a GSXR750 that is in good shape and cheap.
The 750 is like a real grunty 600, and some say easier to ride than a 600.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-17-2016, 06:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
If you feel giving up street riding will be a sacrifice, as compared to just doing one of life's lane changes, then I'd suggest keeping the 919 and track it as is, and if you can afford it, upgrade the suspension. If you're OK not doing street riding, you should be able to buy an old but good ex racer that should need nothing but tires, or maybe some fresh front brake pads also. Or shop for a GSXR750 that is in good shape and cheap. The 750 is like a real grunty 600, and some say easier to ride than a 600.
Thats actually what I bought as my track bike and paid less than I could have sold my 919 for and its far superior on the track

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Thats actually what I bought as my track bike and paid less than I could have sold my 919 for and its far superior on the track
How about a wee bit about age and condition and how stock, etc etc.
Sounds like you got it for a very good price !

post #10 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I've done trackdays on my 919 and it was an absolute blast!

If I were going to use it full time then I would treat it like any other full time trackbike I own. Get a spare tank and handlebars for it, buy an Ohlins rear shock and rework the shim stacks in the forks with some better springs for my fat ass.

post #11 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I've done trackdays on my 919 and it was an absolute blast!

If I were going to use it full time then I would treat it like any other full time trackbike I own. Get a spare tank and handlebars for it, buy an Ohlins rear shock and rework the shim stacks in the forks with some better springs for my fat ass.
For sure!
A well fitted and setup 919 can really be hustled around, and is extremely forgiving, especially for a newbie.
The mental pace needed is a notch down from a full on supersport.
It took me 7 sessions on the GSXR750 to even equal my best 919 times, and that was on a horsepower track 2-1/2+ miles long with a main straight over 1/2 mile long.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

I don't think I'll be removing lights anytime soon but it's going to be my track for a while. I cancelled my insurance today.

The front forks could use a good shim stack and valves but I've already got race tech .90 on em.

An extra tank isn't a bad idea considering the tank hits the ground pretty fast after it goes down. Maybe some engine covers too.

At this point I'm just gunna jump in and start doing it, once I get a couple days in I'll see what's what.

Plus I like the fact I don't see any other 919's out there.

post #13 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Almost counter-intuitively the 17/44 Kit helps a lot around the track. You end up using the torque spread for a longer duration rather than wasting time constantly shifting up & down through the gearbox.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
How about a wee bit about age and condition and how stock, etc etc. Sounds like you got it for a very good price !
It's a 2009 750, mostly stock and in street trim, power commander and two brothers pipe, has a salvage title and had a cracked stator cover when I bought it, but was otherwise in clean shape. I paid $2800 for it, and have maybe another $750-$1000 into it (track fairings, engine covers, sliders, new stator cover, stainless brake lines, new pads and new exhaust and header so I could ditch the cat) I'm in the process of selling off the stock lights, exhaust, fairings, etc, so I'll likely make some of that money back. I'll throw up a few pictures Not a screaming deal, but most of the money I stuck into it wasn't completely necessary. I could have ran it as a track bike after only fixing the stator cover which cost me like $80 and I think it would be fair to say I could have gotten at least $3000 for my 919 (I would hope quite a bit more)... so that being said, if I was going only track I very likely would have ditched the 919 and bought something like this, you could probably find one with beat up fairings thats a few years older for even less that would make a great track beater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-682505675.jpg (82.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image-2812755275.jpg (78.4 KB, 22 views)

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #15 of 15 Old 02-23-2016, 04:26 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
It's a 2009 750, mostly stock and in street trim, power commander and two brothers pipe, has a salvage title and had a cracked stator cover when I bought it, but was otherwise in clean shape. I paid $2800 for it, and have maybe another $750-$1000 into it (track fairings, engine covers, sliders, new stator cover, stainless brake lines, new pads and new exhaust and header so I could ditch the cat) I'm in the process of selling off the stock lights, exhaust, fairings, etc, so I'll likely make some of that money back. I'll throw up a few pictures Not a screaming deal, but most of the money I stuck into it wasn't completely necessary. I could have ran it as a track bike after only fixing the stator cover which cost me like $80 and I think it would be fair to say I could have gotten at least $3000 for my 919 (I would hope quite a bit more)... so that being said, if I was going only track I very likely would have ditched the 919 and bought something like this, you could probably find one with beat up fairings thats a few years older for even less that would make a great track beater.
You did well !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode