Battle of the Americas - Harley vs Victory - Wrist Twisters

Go Back   Wrist Twisters > Motorcycles > Cruisers

Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Tirone

Battle of the Americas - Harley vs Victory

This thread may go south real quick. But I'm looking for good honest feedback. I'm torn between purchasing a used 2006 Victory Vegas or 2005 Harley Wide Glide (or similar). Any opinions as to which is the better ride, fun factors, reliability, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Hastatus Prior

Get the Vegas, looks better, and who wants a Harley anyways?

......Now others can chime in with useful information.

-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Tirone

I have owned three Vics, two of which were Vegas models ( 8-ball). They will not hold their value as well as the HD. However, they use 1 oil, not 3, have much more horsepower as well as more torque, will and do go over 150,000 miles without having to open them up.There is a series of comparisons on you tube by the wrench at Arisona Victory that goes through the running gear side by side with both engines. If I wasn't raised up pre- computer era I would post a link. Sorry
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Cornicen

I'd vote victory. I think you'll end up paying a premium for a average bike, the only good thing is that HD seems to be pretty solid as far as depreciation goes. It seems like I never see a HD under $12,000.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Le So Cal Troll

neither..... any VTX1800 from honda... WAY more reliable just as good looking. Similar HP to the victory.... probably more than the harley... and more torque. Oh and dirt cheap.

Victorys do look nice... but a well known dude out here "Victory john" they call him has had his motor rebuilt 2x times already.

Dad sold his 02 VTX1800 that had all of 6k miles on it for 5k about a year ago. That thing was a blast to sucker in harley sons of anarchy wanna bees into a drag race then just leave em in the dust.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Tirone

I had no idea HD's took as many as three motoroils. I'm gonna search for that comparison on Arisona Victory. Thanx for the information!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
neither..... any VTX1800 from honda... WAY more reliable just as good looking. Similar HP to the victory.... probably more than the harley... and more torque. Oh and dirt cheap.

Victorys do look nice... but a well known dude out here "Victory john" they call him has had his motor rebuilt 2x times already.

Dad sold his 02 VTX1800 that had all of 6k miles on it for 5k about a year ago. That thing was a blast to sucker in harley sons of anarchy wanna bees into a drag race then just leave em in the dust.

Though I own several H-D's and customs with H-D derived V-twins, I'm a bit biased. But, I like the Victory. Both are nice bikes. If you aren't planning on turning the bike over in a short time ... resale wouldn't be an issue.

I've no plans for another new H-D. I would only build a modern version of a '40 knucklehead.

With all that being said, there are better bikes at better prices and IMHO that look better than either the H-D's or Victorys.

The VTX1800 is an incredibly nice bike that can be had at a great price for a lightly used one.

The Warrior is another great metric that can be had cheap!

The Truimph is a spectalur ride that will out perform all the above!

If you go back a few more years ... the Valkyre is an outstanding and seriously under rated bike! Put a 6-into-6 exhaust on it and there is nothing that sounds like it!

Screw everyone that talks about the "horsepower" and "torque" and "handling", etc. Most are too ignorant and have never been on one! Get what you like and feels right for you. I've put 4000 miles on a Springer in less than 5-days in pure joy and comfort! It's not for everyone, but I like. For any potential long rides, I'd actually be torn between taking an H-D or new C14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN1 View Post
I had no idea HD's took as many as three motoroils. I'm gonna search for that comparison on Arisona Victory. Thanx for the information!!
They don't take three. You can get away with using only the H-D "special" syn for all applications. But, I still prefer using seperate lubes for the gearbox and engine. It's not a big deal. H-D's are still one of the easiest bikes to drop the fluids!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

They don't take three. You can get away with using only the H-D "special" syn for all applications. But, I still prefer using seperate lubes for the gearbox and engine. It's not a big deal. H-D's are still one of the easiest bikes to drop the fluids!
really... i seem to remember my buddy complaining at how much of a bitch it was to change the oil on a harley compared to other bikes.

Either way to each his own... But like stated there are much better bikes for much less money compared to HD / Victory.

i would LOVE to get my hands on a Triumph rocket 3 roadster.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Allons-y!

+1 on the Rocket III. 2.3 Liters! How can you lose?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
This thread may go south real quick. But I'm looking for good honest feedback. I'm torn between purchasing a used 2006 Victory Vegas or 2005 Harley Wide Glide (or similar). Any opinions as to which is the better ride, fun factors, reliability, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have a soft spot AND a hard on for the Vegas. I know that when it comes time to tame it down, I want a Vegas!

Now, I have never put a leg over either. That being said, I have been riding bikes since I was 12 in '68, so I do know what I like.

Good luck with your choice, amigo.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
throttle wide open

I personally like the V-Rod, but Victory's Kingpin is a close second! One pro-con argument I can appreciate is: Look in your town…any town. How many Harley dealers vs. Victory dealers? Service issues could become a problem. We only have 2 Vic dealers here & both have the same owner…see where I'm going with this?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Tirone

Harley vs Victory

I currently ride a honda 750cc shadow. Bike has been an absolute trooper - never had any problems and fun to ride. For my upgrade I wanted to try to stick with the American bikes. Based on some of the conversations I should at least consider the japanese counterparts.

H-D had a bad reputation for many years in regards to reliability, but from what I hear they have made HUGE strides in reliability over the last 10-12 years? I've never owned or ridden a H-D. Since I'm really not concerned about appreciation/depreciation as I plan on keeping my next bike for a while, does HD's reliability rival their japanese counterparts?

Almost all of honda's automobiles are at least assembled here in the US? What about their motorcycles?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Tirone

Fortunately for me, there is a Victory dealer less than 10 miles from my home, so service wouldn't be an issue. Thanx for giviing me something else to consider!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
hooligan on the 919

Not to muddy things more but i had a 1999 shadow 1100 spirit that kicked most harley's in a drag race, had better ground clearance than most, was perfectly reliable (shaft drive) and most people couldn't tell the difference between it and a softtail. as far as american, harley's have gotten better on reliability so i'd go with a v-rod. (or xr1200x)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
Tirone

Just an addition to my earlier post. I have put well over 60,000 miles on two Vics and they have never been in the shop for any repairs. They are bulletproof. So is the vtx1300 and 1800. There are literally hundreds of them for sale used and the price is right. But the VTX's have no soul. The Warrior is very fast but is said to have only about 95 mile range. Honda Sharow Spitit 1100 is a good 100 mile ride, the 1100 Sabre is a better ride. Many, myself included feel the 1100 is a better setup than the vtx. Rocket 3 is fast,fast, fast but looks like a tractor and you ride on the bike not in the bike. Fit and finish not real good. Might have to wait a long time for any Triumph parts except the sport Tiples which are great bikes but not the cruiser you are looing for. You know, no one really makes a bad bike anymore ride what makes your heart sing.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Batman

Ok, what about the Thunderbird big bore from triumph? 1700cc... I'm looking at one of those in about two years time as a used bike...for my cruising bike. yes a p twin and cloning the cruiser market but something about it I really like, especially that new burnt red "haze"? color scheme they have this year!

http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/image...e_Red_Haze.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5Gf5Ha5...07403d1116.jpg
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Why's everything on fire?

Harley may have made great strides in quality, but they're still not anywhere near the Japanese brands in that respect, let alone Honda itself. Something else that should be pointed out - the Japanese cruisers have truly near-maintenance-free shaft drives available and Harley still has that stupid belt drive that one thrown pebble can ruin.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
The Cripple

and i'd take a belt over a shaft drive any day!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
and i'd take a belt over a shaft drive any day!
You can have it, one thrown piece of gravel in the wrong place and you're replacing the belt. In the really wrong place and you have to replace the (not cheap) rear belt sprocket.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
You can have it, one thrown piece of gravel in the wrong place and you're replacing the belt. In the really wrong place and you have to replace the (not cheap) rear belt sprocket.
better than not ever being able to change gear ratios and having a driveline that robs up to 20% of your power. no thanks.

just not for me. maybe when i'm old and maintenance-free equipment becomes top priority. until then, no thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #21

Quote:
better than not ever being able to change gear ratios and having a driveline that robs up to 20% of your power. no thanks.

just not for me. maybe when i'm old and maintenance-free equipment becomes top priority. until then, no thanks.

When you ride 200 miles a day sometimes, maintenance free becomes a lot more important.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
The Cripple

Quote:
When you ride 200 miles a day sometimes, maintenance free becomes a lot more important.
i commute daily on the bike. still dont want shaft drive. rode a shaft driven bike before, loved the smoothness of it, but other than that didn't like it overall.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
i commute daily on the bike. still dont want shaft drive. rode a shaft driven bike before, loved the smoothness of it, but other than that didn't like it overall.
If my shaft-driver had fuel injection and had better parts availability, I wouldn't have bought a 919. :P
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
The Cripple

Quote:
If my shaft-driver had fuel injection and had better parts availability, I wouldn't have bought a 919. :P

its called a goldwing
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #25

Quote:

its called a goldwing
Too big, not a standard. You do know my 700 is a shaftie, right?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
Love me some Ginger!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Kind of off topic, but one of my buddy rider's here at work came over to my desk to ask a work related question. I asked him why he hadn't been riding lately.

Said the bike was in the shop. 2007 Harley. Transmission problem. Quote on labor and parts? 2k.

Only 10k miles on it. And he babied it.

2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #27
no max no more

harley harley harley hands down over the vic and the vic is a nice machine....if your going to ride a v twin ,,ride the real deal you will never have any regrets
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
Love me some Ginger!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
harley harley harley hands down over the vic and the vic is a nice machine....if your going to ride a v twin ,,ride the real deal you will never have any regrets
Ask my coworker. He's having 2,000 of them right now ...
YouTube Channel
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
Discen

My father is on his second Victory (only because he took out a deer with his first Vegas), and I have yet to hear him complain about either of them.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
Allons-y!

This is pretty simple. If you want the Harley Lifestyle and join the herd, get a HD. That is what you become; a trumpeter swan for the Harley Lifestyle. I've seen it happen plenty of times; Harley's outnumber other bikes here probably 3 to 1.

If you want a bike with good reliability, engineering, awesome power, and none of the false friendships, get a Victory.

If you like the lifestyle, HD.
If you like riding, Victory.

Or save a nice load of dosh and get a VTX1800...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #31
hooligan on the 919

Quote:
better than not ever being able to change gear ratios and having a driveline that robs up to 20% of your power. no thanks
Yes but -20% of honda power still =more power than the average harley...and with less displacement (which is why my 1100 shadow beat anything but vrod's and screaming eagles)

otherwise, do what makes you happy. Any bike is a good bike if it makes you wanna ride
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-man View Post
Yes but -20% of honda power still =more power than the average harley...and with less displacement (which is why my 1100 shadow beat anything but vrod's and screaming eagles)

otherwise, do what makes you happy. Any bike is a good bike if it makes you wanna ride
unless you get the fury.....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Being that this is a question of Harley vs Victory, shouldn't we be considering H vs V and not including the other rabble?

Once again, the Vic Veg has smitten my heart. Them jugs are plain sexahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
This is pretty simple. If you want the
If you like the lifestyle, HD.
If you like riding, Victory.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. There may be some truth to your assessment of HD vs Victory. HD does seem to have more of a lifestyle associated with it. That's certainly part of the appeal. Will definitely check out the vtx1800 though based on some comments here. I ride 100+ miles per day for commuting, so reliability is of the essence.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #35
Love me some Ginger!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
That's an interesting way of looking at it. There may be some truth to your assessment of HD vs Victory. HD does seem to have more of a lifestyle associated with it. That's certainly part of the appeal. Will definitely check out the vtx1800 though based on some comments here. I ride 100+ miles per day for commuting, so reliability is of the essence.
Can't go wrong with the VTX line. I had a 1300 that I put about 2k miles on. Was a great bike!
YouTube Channel
Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
Tirone

I'm on my third Victory and second Vision. There's nothing wrong with the HDs. I just prefer the Victory line. I can't tell a 80s Harley from a brand new one. You can spot a Victory from a mile away, plus the engines are alot stronger. I haven't had any mechanical problems with them and the resale value was great on my 2005 King Pin and on my 2008 Vision.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
Tirone

Victory over Harley but have a friend who worked on Victory bikes at a dealer and said the Hondas still are better as far as dependability over both. My vote is vtx, have 1300 vtx that have put 65000 miles on and had to do a water pump and adjust valves and I beat the heck out of it. Change the oil regularly and a Honda will outlast either Victory or Harley.
pro taper bars
Sato rear sets
F4I Guages
Two Bros pipe
heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
Tirone

Still Undecided

Based on the comments in this thread, maybe I should change the name of this to Honda vs Victory. Harley seems to be the clear 3rd place finisher. I'm waiting another month or two before I purchase to try to save some extra money by purchasing during the winter. It'll likely be a Victory at this point but still open to the idea of the honda. Will check them both out.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
Cornicen

Pre owned HD's at gainesville Victory
In-Stock Inventory Polaris of Gainesville Alachua, FL 386-418-4244

They get a lot of hd's traded in there.
Stutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #40
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Victory is a slug compared to a Harley. I've owned owned a Harley and the only reason I sold it was we had work schedule changes for me and the wife and never got to ride together. I've ridden several Vics they have no torque. And as far as "following the herd" that's a personal choice, I wasn't a member of HOG, didn't buy all the cloths, blah blah blah... All bike will have issues and just because one person has a high dollar failure doesn't mean the brand is junk. ALL BRANDS have high dollar repairs. Bottom line, get what brand you want and quit letting others influence your decision so much. Victory offers test rides and Harley will let you rent, go ride and compare.

2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
BBB2 is offline   Reply With Quote