Customized 2014 Honda CB1100

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Mark57 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The beveled/ducktail styling started with the first DOHC CB750F of 1979:

And the 1979 CBX to a lesser degree:

The styling spread to the 900F, 1100F, etc.

This particular one seems to be inspired by the 1982-ish models:

1982 CB750F (color and decal scheme available 81-82)

1982 CB900F (color and decal scheme available 82 only)

The 83-only original CB1100F paint schemes didn't look like that.

#14 ·
You all are making my heart pound!! I have had more than one of every "F" series bikes shown in this thread. I also had the 79 CBX in the same silver. I have many great memories about this era of motorcycles. The only downside is that I don't have them anymore. It is in part what caused to to purchase my 919.

Now my buddy Bernie, never bought in to that whole "catch and release BS". When he purchased another bike, he just kept his old ones. Even if he just converted some of them to pool table lights.....

Good stuff, thanks!!

Attachments

#17 ·
Here's my 700s after I painted the frame, wheels, engine. It has the matching corbin seat. After several teardowns, the head leaked oil and I gave up on it for a while. Sadly, now it just sits.

Probably should look for a new head before they can no longer be found.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeGQeVW0Ak]Honda Nighthawk 700s new engine start up - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
IIRC, it's near the exhaust where it bolts up to the head. That's what makes me think the head is cracked. I have a huge TIG welder, so I could repair it, but I just haven't dug into it. Got tired of tearing into that engine. I had it torn down some 4 or more times.

I rebuilt the engine, then the tranny lost a fork, so I tore it down again, then I did that cam chain mod and it ended up dropping a valve, so I rebuilt it again and went for a ride, when I stopped to eat, there was a puddle of oil.

The carbs where torn down several times and bought a jet kit w/K&N then they started screwing up, as if they were flooding and I kept cleaning them out and replaced the needles but still no luck.

I kept working on it because I have a parts bike, so I got lucky with spare parts, but I don't have any more heads.

Gave up on it and started searching for the 919.

It's sad because it has some nice parts: corbin seat, engine guards, jet kit, K&N, new friction and steels, and all the other parts are nice shape. The frame was sandblasted, rust prepped and painted.

She was running good before the valve dropped, I could notice the effects of the jet kit and K&N.

#24 ·
My last "F" series bike

Sorry, I could not resist. I found this bike as a totaled out "82" 750 in TN. I got it home and scattered it into a jillian pieces and got started. When it was done it had the following:

750 Cylinder head fully ported.
900 Crank with 1100 pistons & rods.
750 Transmission & cases.
1150 Wheels & other various parts.

I reconstructed the top end of the frame and swing arm with chrome molly tubing and built an aluminum seat. Complimented the package with an MSD ignition, 37 MM Kein smooth bores, a 375 lift Ontario intake and stock 1100F exhaust cam cam. I oil measured the cylinders to determine my compression. It ended up with 11.3 to one compression. And I ran it on 87 octane pump gas, more on that later. This was in 1995 or so. The bike weighed in at 484 pounds with a half tank of fuel. I rode it to work, on vacation, and occasionally to the drag strip. It ran 10.50's @ 130 and some change. Not bad for a totaled out Honda. Lots of good memories.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.