Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Pilot Power rear, and_____ front

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  andrewebay1 
#1 ·
I had my rear tire replaced the beginning of last summer and need a front now. I'm thinking I want to transition to PR4's, but didn't know if running a Pilot power on the rear and a road 4 up front might cause any issues. Thoughts / recommendations?

#11 ·
i always went with stickier in the front if anything. My old go to was a pilot power 2ct in the front and a pilot road 2 in the rear and they would wear out right around the same time. But i havnt put many miles on the bike over the past 2 years so tires havnt been changed in a while.

#16 ·
As long as you're not pushing traction limit I think you'll be alright until come time to go full PR4s.

Although..why not go with a stickier front? Like say a Power 2CT? No need to go with that super long life for the front even if you want it for rain duty (which the 2CT does really well). Nothing wrong with 2CT in front and PR4 in the rear when that comes time too.

#20 ·
Im not a fan of mixing profiles and constructions. I currently have a bike with a PR2 rear and a Corsa front, its not fun to ride. Im spooning on a PR2 front after I finish my coffee.

Road the Bandit with a Conti Race soft and a Road 3 on the front. Very odd handling.

Im a fan of PR2s but dont like the 3s for spirited riding. They just feel lose on the edges.

#21 ·
Im not a fan of mixing profiles and constructions. I currently have a bike with a PR2 rear and a Corsa front, its not fun to ride. Im spooning on a PR2 front after I finish my coffee.

Road the Bandit with a Conti Race soft and a Road 3 on the front. Very odd handling.

Im a fan of PR2s but dont like the 3s for spirited riding. They just feel lose on the edges.
I think it depends what you have front/rear. I defiantly wouldn't want a soft rear with a hard compound front. The 2CT does last about the same as a road rear tho. I don't know if I'd use it on a track but on the street, it's a great combo.

#22 ·
Yea, from my experience Pirelli sport and Michelin Roads are not a close pairing as far as profiles. Before getting a 2ct front I had the Pirelli Demon tires, not a fun combo with the tail lagging on leans.

The Pirelli had a dive feel while the Michelin was a gradual lean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.