Defective tire? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 13 Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Defective tire?

I had this tire before and I don't remember seeing and depressions in the tire like this after 200 miles. I hadn't seen it until today because last night was the first time I had a little fun and it made the depressions obvious. I'm going to track this tire and I don't want any issues. Its on both sides. Anyone got insight?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Princeps Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I'm guessing by those bands its a dunlop q3? I've seen tons of q3's with them, have heard people claim they're from being banded during shipping or are where layers come together. I've seen people develop tears in spots like that before but it didn't affect grip noticeably. Most times I've seen people say just run it. Flip side is contact dunlop and ask them what they're thoughts are. I know my buddy who had his start tearing got it replaced for free, but I don't know if they'd do that for indents.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Optio

It's hard to tell how deep it is, but I see there's still the seam line thing left over from casting so there isn't much wear in that area.

It looks like something happened in shipping and it should work out just fine. I'm guessing it's a pretty soft tire, shipping straps could do that.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Another picture

post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Dunlop sent me a new tire. 500 miles later, I'm starting to see the same thing. I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing that's causing it, and if it's honestly fine to ride on it cuz idk how many tires I'm gonna go through before they stop doing this.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 PM
919 Rider

Maybe try another brand.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Dunlop sent me a new tire. 500 miles later, I'm starting to see the same thing. I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing that's causing it, and if it's honestly fine to ride on it cuz idk how many tires I'm gonna go through before they stop doing this.
Ok, wait... you got a new tire, I assume you fully checked it. Did it have strap marks?

It's odd (IMO) that a tire would have no marks at the time of install, then over time develop these problems.

That would pretty much point to some problem in the mfg process. Even if the problem came from straps during shipping, the tire should recover from shipping.

Maybe it has to do with the compounds and curing time or something. Either way, if this isn't visible during install, that's a pretty big deal.

Edit: I'd start taking pics and see if things are getting worse. Maybe look at the numbers and see if this is from the same batch, could be something wrong with the mix in that batch.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Discen

It's not visible during install. I made sure to check this time. It - seems- to become noticeable after getting it hot a few times.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Optio

Quote:
It's not visible during install. I made sure to check this time. It - seems- to become noticeable after getting it hot a few times.

I'm wondering about the age of the compounds used and shipping. I wonder if it was strapped down while not fully cured inside and then the outside adjusts... Heat ends up showing the problem with the inside being strapped while not fully cured.

Just a guess, but I think these things take a period of time to fully cure.

I'm also going to guess that they didn't ask for the tire to be shipped back. If that's the case, they are trying to end it without digging into the problem. The tire could be professionally cut open and measure the different layers of compounds. They should care about this enough to analyze the old tire.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Yeah, I sent the other one back.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Optio

Quote:
Yeah, I sent the other one back.

I'm really glad to hear that they cared enough to look into it.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM
919 Rider

Indents like this in tires can be caused by slight overlap in the radial belted layer. It often doesn't show up until the tire is inflated and used. This defect is cosmetic and shouldn't affect the tires performance. Having said that I wouldn't want that tire on my bike. I've seen this defect in the side walls of car tires but not in a bike tire.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Indents like this in tires can be caused by slight overlap in the radial belted layer. It often doesn't show up until the tire is inflated and used. This defect is cosmetic and shouldn't affect the tires performance. Having said that I wouldn't want that tire on my bike. I've seen this defect in the side walls of car tires but not in a bike tire.
I'm pretty much with you on that... I'm not sure how it effect performance, but I wouldn't want it on mine. I too have seen car tires like that.

My concern would be that the pressure/traction in that area can be effected by this. The tread patch on a MC tire isn't very big. I think I saw a video where someone covered their tire with chalk put it on a clean flat surface and sat on the bike. The tread patch is really pretty small.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode