Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN A SQUID MOCKS YOUR GEAR?

9K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Stew 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been puzzled over the years at the remarks made by bikers who don't wear safety gear when I show up in my full dress ATGATT. And why does it seem to be such a big deal to them? I pondered this until it dawned on me it is because the very sight of me in my armor laden cordura and snell rated composite actually makes them uncomfortable, makes them face the inevitability they were otherwise able to suppress. Grown men succumb to what I can only describe as adolescent peer pressure strong enough to suspend self-preservation and it boggles my mind. They ride to look cool and it doesn't occur to them that I could care less how other people think I look. I ride because I love to ride and wear the gear mainly to minimize down time so I can hopefully get back in the saddle in less time after a get off. They usually start with some slightly snide query about how hot I must be.

Here are some of my more creative answers:

• I'd rather sweat than bleed

• sweat doesn't have to grow back

• it's mesh, cooler than jeans - I'm standing here in my underwear

• yes I'm hot - but you're not my type :whistling:

• not near as hot as the pavement (they don't like that word)
Others rationalize by asking me if I'm on a cross country trip or something and that they are only a few miles from home,

to which I reply:

• it's always a short trip to the pavement

So, what to you say when they point and snicker at you? :confused1:

See less See more
#7 ·
The most amazing thing about squids is that there is no age limit or motorcycle style could be a 100 yr old guy on a sport bike or an 18 yr old on a cruiser I see every combination all the time I used to catch shit daily from an old guy I worked with that rode a brand new gold wing on shorts tank top an Jesus joggers

#9 ·
Hey, if someone wants to dress up to ride, I don't have any problem with that, as long as they let me ride my own ride as well.

People make fun of the power rangers, those dressed for the track on the street.

People make fun of the pirates, those dress in leather and the like.

People make fun of those who elect to ride in whatever it is they fucking want to wear, it's a no win situation, suck it up and realize, no matter what, someone is making fun of you.

I saw a group of three riders southwest of Columbia Mo this weekend. All three were wearing identical 1 piece power ranger suites, parked by the side of the road on some really nice bikes, but they all looked pretty gay.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My wife thought it was funny. It was hotter than heck out, but hey, if you are probably going to crash, at least dress the part.

#11 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong here. I don't want this thread to be a squid bashing fest. I believe folks ought to be free to ride half naked and call a hi-viz t-shirt safety gear if they want to. It's all fine by me. I just think their reactions to me in my gear and the reality-checks I must be setting off in their heads are kinda funny. That said, let the coy replies fly! :laugh:

#31 ·
I fall into this category. I'm mostly in a armored leather Alpinestars jacket, gauntlet gloves and helmet.....but sometimes to run down the street I rock the gloves and sunglasses. :whistling:

If I am out not dressed and I see a guy who is I think to myself "Ah, this guy thinks I'm a total squid".

#16 ·
I don't think it happens as much as we think it happens. But even of it does who cares?

At this point in my life I would rather be a positive example to others. If me wearing proper gear results in just one other rider wearing good gear, then that's worth any ridicule (perceived or otherwise).

Same with my conservative riding style.

#17 ·
I've just gotten to the point where I don't really even speak with them about it and if they do not have a helmet then I really won't even ride with them. I figure eventually they will wreck and figure it out, or some won't and they will manage to be lucky their whole life.

#18 ·
I usually say to the a hole type squids I'm in it for the long run. And if i want to be nice I explain cooling via sweat and vents.

#19 ·
When someone comments on the Aerostitch I just use the response that I'd rather it take the beating instead of my skin if I went down. The next question is why would I expect to go down and then it's explaining how often you see commuters in cars putting on makeup, talking on the phone, eating while driving, etc and that often seems to register with them.

#20 · (Edited)
It's very common for US motorcycle culture and it's pretty general perception around here that one must ride cool/bad ass looking bikes (regardless how they perform) while looking cool yourself doing so. Hence you see all this chrome, sexy fearings, cool sleeveless shirts with cool tattoos, cool designer kicks, cool shades etc etc. Don't know why it is so but it is. Europe is very different in this aspect. It's not uncommon to see Harley rider wearing full racing leathers and full face helmet although there are some Squid there too. Some who know what gear is all about, still want to look cool. Hence they are taking their chances as looking good outweights "being prepared" in they head. Yes, they are Squid too. Never understood "riding on the street dressed for the track" comment, similar to what Steve said. Is it because one looks cool on the track in all the gear and somehow one looks not so cool on the street wearing it? What is the difference exactly? Pavement is equally hard and abrasive. I personally could care less what one thinks, especially if the one that is doing the thinking is totally ignorant and clueless regarding a particular subject.

#23 ·
I have been puzzled over the years at the remarks made by bikers who don't wear safety gear when I show up in my full dress ATGATT. And why does it seem to be such a big deal to them? I pondered this until it dawned on me it is because the very sight of me in my armor laden cordura and snell rated composite actually makes them uncomfortable, makes them face the inevitability they were otherwise able to suppress. Grown men succumb to what I can only describe as adolescent peer pressure strong enough to suspend self-preservation and it boggles my mind. They ride to look cool and it doesn't occur to them that I could care less how other people think I look.
Ken,

I think you hit on the reason right here: "...makes them uncomfortable, makes them face the inevitability they were otherwise able to suppress." A lot of it is riding just to look cool and to be seen. And heard, in the case of the loud pipe crowd.

#24 ·
Here in New Zealand, you would get mocked for not wearing the gear. To the point if you turned up in a tee shirt you would be told to go home. Slowly.

Im stunned its so common there not to wear the gear. Im very glad those on this site do.

Wear the gear for the slide and not for the ride.

#29 · (Edited)
as i mentioned above, i go gear-less a lot, to each his own.

That said it might be true that people who don't wear full gear do have a negative effect on all riders. If they get hit by some cager or wipeout, their injuries are greater because they aren't wearing gear (or god forbid a helmet) then the hospital stay and recuperation will be exponentially more expensive which raises everyones insurance rates... am i right on that?

#34 ·
Actually, if the nanny state legislators would just get out of the way, the insurance industry is far better equipped to handle this problem. For example, if you take a life insurance with a non-smoker discount and later die with nicotine in your system or have evidence of tobacco use in your medical records the company can reduce the death benefit to an amount your premium would have purchased at smoker rates. Simple. They could easily (if the gubment would let them) offer similar discounts for riders who agree up front to wear the gear - and slash benefits if they go down without. Voila! Now the squids don't adversely affect everyone else.

#35 ·
I think all you street posers are laughable. :D

If you want to ride fast and stare the grim reaper in the face then take it to the track. Risking your life on public roads is not just illegal it is also just plain stupid regardless of how much gear you wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.