Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Top mount hard case

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken Phenix 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, my state job is requiring that I do interstate travel across Arizona while having to lug a stupid state issued laptop. I refuse to use a state car (for various and numerous reasons) and would much rather be on the 919 to begin with.

I have an Alu-Rack top mount coming and am looking for a hard top case that will fit a standard size laptop and bag. I've boiled it down to the Pelican 1560m: Pelican 1560M Case (Mobility Version) or the comparable SKB 3I-1914-8BTE: 3I-1914-8BTE w/TSA approved latches | SKB 3I-1914-8BTE iSeries Case w/TSA approved latches.

While trying to search, I cannot find the answer to whether the mobile versions of the hard cases can be mounted on a motorcycle. The non mobile versions seem to be able to, but I think the mobile version would be much more practical.

Can anyone help me out with figuring out the answer or help me figure out how to make secure attachment points to the alu-rack? Any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
Where there's a will there's a way. But I think that big Pelican would be too heavy as a top case without some lateral bracing from side case brackets up to the back. I snapped off the back of the tail section on my last bike that way. If you're doing one or the other, I'd do side cases first.

I have been pleased with my Seahorse SE-720 cases, in use constantly for almost 5 years surviving a few tip overs with no worries. They're cheaper and lighter than Pelican and while not as robust, strong enough.

Seahorse Cases | Seahorse Carrying Cases | Seahorse Shipping Cases

#3 ·
Based on the cases you're looking at I assume you want to have the case be easily removed. Since you're considering Pelican I suggest you take a look at Caribou Cases. They have built in locks and they offers some DIY options. A DIY plate could be bolted to the Alu-Rack and appropriate mounting hardware to the case.

If you're going to leave the case on the bike then just bolt it directly to the rack. Certainly there will be some times that you don't want it on there, and depending how it's connected it could be an easy 2 minute job to take it off.

I have an Alu-Rack on my 9er and I adapted a Givi Monokey top plate for the monster E46 case that I use for long trips. The adapter between the Alu-Rack and the Givi top plate is nothing more than a piece of polyethylene cutting board cut to size. It cuts easily with a saber saw. It stays bolted to the Givi plate. There are four allen screws I use to bolt it to the Alu-Rack and all four are accessable via the center opening in the Givi plate. It's positioned forward to allow access to the seat lock through the front part of the center opening and there's just enough room to remove the seat once unlocked. I wanted it forward to lessen the effect of having weight cantilevered off the back end. Pictures are here. It won't win any beauty contests, but I'm happy with it and that's all that counts.

Ken Phenix has done some neat things on adapting cases to his 9er, and you should check his thread out here for ideas. There's lots of other good stuff in there too.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, I am looking for quick disconnect and am looking specifically at the mobile versions which would make them very practical for work.

My concern was if they could be bolted up to motorcycle rack. If they can, I'll try to make it work. My fab skills are limited due to the limited tools I have so I can't go as extreme as Ken.

Ken, I'm not too concerned about weight because I'll be carrying just the laptop and job sensitive paperwork, of which both needs to remain water proof. Side cases will come later because the Alu-Rack is already on its way. No idea when I'll be able to afford side cases as that gets expensive in a hurry.

So, any ideas on if/how a mobile case could mount up? I can't seem to find pictures of the back side of the 1560/1560m or similar cases to compare.

#6 ·
I'd put some kind of cushion or spacer on the pillion and set the case length wise half on the seat half on the alu-rack. It should be easy enough to cinch strap from each caster to the passenger pegs and around the case to the rack. I used to set a plastic drill case on the back seat like that. It was good tool for tool storage too.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd put some kind of cushion or spacer on the pillion and set the case length wise half on the seat half on the alu-rack. It should be easy enough to run a cinch strap from each caster to the passenger pegs and around the case to the rack. I used to set a plastic drill case on the back seat like that. It was good tool for tool storage too.
Like this - just not this BIG. :yes:

That Pelican 1560 weighs 22# by itself. The idea is to have most of the weight on the seat and not so much weight hanging off the back of the bike.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.