Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

SS1700 - ECE Rated - $169 - Excellent Value!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ken Phenix 
#1 · (Edited)
My brother has decided to take up riding again and started to buy a "cheap" modular helmet. "Not so fast!" I said. So I poked around the web not expecting to find anything cheap. The Bell Revolver EVO looks promising and Revzilla has the hi-viz version at $99. If you want any other color it'll cost you another hundred bucks.
Bell Revolver EVO Hi-Vis Helmet - RevZilla

I went to Houston on business today and stopped in a few dealers. I simply could not believe the gross ignorance and unadulterated BS I encountered. You know I wear a Shoei so I won't bore you with the list of modular lids I ruled out. Suffice it to say Bilt brand was on the list but the most notable junk was the Fulmer unit I tried on. The chin bar latch didn't even line up and got stuck. Unfortunately no one had the Bell Revolver for me to try on. But at my last stop almost as an afterthought I picked up this Speed and Strength SS-1700. "nice" I thought, surprised. The fit was comfortable, really comfortable - the shape not too round. The chin bar mechanism was smooth and precise. Here's the kicker - when I spun the thing around I spotted the ECE 22-05 cert. I didn't see that coming. I may actually buy one. Revzilla has them in all colors offered for, get this, $169. DEAL! :clap:
Speed and Strength SS1700 Solid Speed Modular Helmet - RevZilla

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFAUhEDnHc[/ame]

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, I wonder if SS just rebranded another helmet from Europe. It seems very unlikely an American company bothering with an Ece rating.

#4 ·
I tried looking for specs, usually companies get an ece rating because the helmet is too light to pass Snell ratings (still don't understand that, it has to have heft to be rated??). If this is the case then this helmet really has my attention, where modular typically weigh like a tank.

#6 · (Edited)
I've owned, used, abused, crashed, rashed and retired many helmets over the years.

AGV
ARAI
Bieffe
Fulmer
HJC
SHOEI
Suomy
Scorpion
Shark
Vemar

They all had their pros and cons, but ultimately I buy helmets for protection and I am always looking for deals as I know as some point it has to be replaced whether from age and use or because I crash tested it.

The ones that I have stuck with are are the Scorpion, Suomy and SHOEI brands.

The SHOEI is noisy, all my SHOEI's have been noisy, but I like the way they fit. I tend to buy the cheaper ones so they are always heavy compared to the more expensive lighter versions. I just deal with it. The only modular helmet I have owned was a SHOEI. I bought it so I could flip it up and talk to my students at the track. It was way too heavy and the visor would not stay down at speed and was constantly flipping open every time I turned my head.

The Scorpion products really impress me. Probably the best value for the dollar in my opinion. Good build quality, nice paint, fit & finish is always nice and they are both fairly light & quiet with good sealing shields and a soft, form fitting interior.

The Suomy not so cheap, but it's like wrapping your head in a silk scarf. I love putting my Suomy on. The feeling is as close to having sex as you can get with your leathers on :) I can also attest that they crash pretty well. I suffered a concussion last time I crashed in a Suomy, but the helmet looked like it had been through Afghanistan twice so I felt pretty lucky to escape with just a headache and some lingering dizzyness.

The Vemar was the best anti-fogging helmet I have ever used in rainy conditions. Outside of that respect I think it was a pile of shit with plastic vents busting off with the slightest nudge and decals you could feel under the clearcoat etc.

ARAI's are super nice helmets for people with A. super nice bank accounts and B. a particular head shape. I have neither of those...

Fulmer & HJC had always served me well over the years, but they were always more of a backup helmet for me rather than a mainstay of my gear still I cannot really say anything bad about them.

My wife is a huge AGV and SHARK advocate she has used both extensively for years. The AGV is the better helmet, but the value of the Shark helmets is not to be taken lightly either especially if you don't mind buying closeouts or care what color scheme etc to get the really good deals.

I've not tried any of the new Bell helmets, but I have heard good things about them and would love to get my hands on one for testing. I have a hunch they have really upped their game and deserve the marketing hype that has been put on them lately.

#7 ·
I have the S&S SS1700 in hi-viz and like it quite a lot other than it's a bit lound on the wind noise. I think it was $189 at Revzilla when I bought it. It weighs 3.6 lbs (1650g). The tag says: "Manufacturer - Jiangmen Pengcheng Helmets Ltd. China". That gives me lots of warm fuzzies....

I also have the cheapo AFX FX-140 and it weighs 4.1 lbs (1860g). it's not a bad lid for the money but it doesn't fit my odd noggin as well as the S&S.

That looks like a good deal on the Bell.

#8 · (Edited)
SS-1700 impression

I had a chance to try on a Revolver evo size XL. Bell's size chart shows a narrower range for each size. I'm a Large in everything else. The shape is more in the neutral oval camp and it didn't seem to have quite as much padding as the SS1700.

So I peddled my old back-up RF-1100 on ebay and bought myself a SS1700. I plan to commute in it some and have it on hand if I ever take a passenger.

My initial impression: It's not as comfortable as my beloved RF-1100 but it's the most comfy cheap modular I tried. The intermediate oval shape is most similar to the Shoei too. The ear recesses are not as big but not uncomfortable. A time or two I've had to run a finger up the side to unfold my ear. It's noisier than my beloved RF-1100 but it's certainly bearable, even without ear plugs. There is minimal distortion in the visor and the drop down sun shade is easy to operate - so much so it seems a bit flimsy. The shell is noticeably larger than my Shoei but it weighs in at 3.8 pounds, the lightest on my cheap modular list. It's aerodynamic, surprisingly it does not catch the wind as I turn my head side to side. The chin bar release is really easy to operate and the mechanism moves smoothly with a nice detent at the top to hold it open. It makes a positive lock when closed and does not rattle like most in this category I tried. I miss my Respro Foggy breath guard but the visor does come pinlock ready. The ratchet chinstrap buckle is nice and easy to use but I just realized there is no D-ring to put a helmet lock through. Oh well.

Of course I could get used to the convenience of the modular but I'm not yet sure I'm ready to take this one cross country. I might have to have a Neotec for that. However, this SS1700 is an incredible value. It does what it needs to do well enough. It could very well be the only $169 modular with an ECE rating. I am pleased. :clap:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9142qRG0GE[/ame]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.