Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Skully is looking for testers

14K views 136 replies 29 participants last post by  gibbonater 
#1 · (Edited)
#77 ·
Hmm, that thing looks like it would get in the way all the time. I like that you could put that on a different helmet if you got a new one, but I think Skully got it right when they integrated everything within the helmet. And back up cam is pretty dope.

#74 ·
I got an email from them talking about a group buy option. It's something like 6495 for 5 helmets. That brings it to 1299 per person, so I guess that's one more discount that's out there.

#85 ·
The details just state that the Piaggio group (who own Aprilia) are going to start developing tools to pass data to the helmet. So I'm assuming they'll also create an app or SDK/API of sorts to do so.

It will be interesting how they implement this and what they come up with. A flashing red light when approaching redline, for example, would be something pretty simple.

Odometer or gas range, etc.??? Lot's of possibilities.

#86 ·
Ah, it was an announcement of the partnership and not a demonstration. In that case I'm sure it'll be pretty awesome; speed, lean angle, redline, fuel economy (if you're into that). Pretty much a heads up obd2.
Most important question though: Will they throw I'm the bike with the purchase of a helmet? :laugh:

#88 ·
Throw *IN the bike. Damn autocorrect.
And actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I really hope they do more than that since it's pretty much guaranteed that somebody'll make an app that lets the helmet connect directly to a Bluetooth obd2 dongle, which would give you all of those features for almost any bike. I guess I'll wait and see.

#90 · (Edited)
Had to bump this.

Bad news, NUVIZ stated they were issuing refunds. No other updates. 2 things at play here:

1. Nuviz cannot deliver as promised and as such the idea is getting scrapped'

or

2. Nuviz has found a major backer and as a requirement of being backed Nuviz has to cut ties with those who invested via kickstarter.

If 2. is true, then it's a shit move and I'm not sure if I could support them due to principle.

If 1. is true, then it's a sad day for this industry.

https://livemap.info/news/nuviz-skully-livemap.html

#92 ·
Damn that was a bad translation. I was lost just trying to put a coherent sentence in my head. Guess he was calling Skully shit headed copycats that stole from Google Glass. But then we can say all HUD were stolen from SiFi novels of the '50s.

I don't think I like this technology. It's cool but IMO anything that takes your eyes off the road is bad while riding a bike. Doesn't mater if you have to focus or not that split second looking else where is what will get you into trouble.

#94 · (Edited by Moderator)
Doesn't mater if you have to focus or not that split second looking else where is what will get you into trouble.
Guess I'm screwed then since I'm deaf and have to look elsewhere all the time? :laugh:

I understand what you're trying to say though. For the untrained person out there I would agree. But a good motorcyclist should already be used to that. Pilots do it, drivers do it (corvette hud anyone?) we are capable of doing it. Like anything else, just takes practice.

Sorry about the translation. I'm so used to dealing with broken written English that I just automatically gleaned the meaning as I read. Being nearly tri-sexual has some benefits.

#93 ·
The moving of the eyes, wouldn't that be the same as looking in the mirror?

I was concerned about how they could have any device in (or on) the helmet that wouldn't end up in someone's eye and resulting in a lawsuit.

I like the idea of a HUD, but it's going to have problems working out all the bugs. Sad news either way.

#95 ·
I agree with Dave, when speaking of terms of this skully helmet. It would take much longer to readjust focus on a object (screen in this case) that is that close to the eye and just as long to readjust to your riding view, which extend to fifty yards and sometimes further.

The mirrors are easier to adjust since its not all that close.

#96 ·
You guys realize that the lens is an 'infinity focus' lens, right? You actually look through it, not at it, and it focuses on the back of the retina. So no, there is no refocusing of the iris in order to see detail on the screen. This info is on their site under the Faqs page.

#100 ·
I'm on a computer now, this is much easier. From their site here:

+ WHAT IS INFINITE FOCUS?

The AR-1's advanced optical system presents an image that is focused to your eye, rather than your eye needing to focus on it. The display allows you to see everything behind and to the sides of you, plus vehicle telemetry and GPS navigation, as fast as your eye can move. This allows you to see the display as an extension of your peripheral vision, and with a quick glance of your eye, you see everything in the display instantly."

I almost purchased a Reevu, which uses a mirror and refraction system to give you a rear view right above your eyebrows inside your helmet, but that seems even worse. First, you have to raise your eyes UP (most hazards are down on the ground), and second, you'd have to adjust your eyes to finding the mirror, then focus on what's IN the mirror.

Since the Skully (aka Google) glass is see-through, you still see everything behind it. It's just an 'overlay' of what you are already looking at, and only in that quadrant of your vision. It's no different than checking your mirrors (actually, it's probably SAFER than checking your mirrors, since you have rear camera vision and can actually move your head around to check for blind spots). Even then, the rear camera has 180 degree vision:

"+ WHAT APPEARS ON THE HEADS-UP DISPLAY (HUD)?

The display shows a rear view camera feed with a near 180 degree viewing angle. This means it not only sees what is behind you, but also what is in your left and right blind spots. The display also optionally shows turn by turn directions. These turn by turn icons are present only when needed, then automatically disappear when not in use. It also optionally, if supported by the motorcycle, may display vehicle telemetry such as speed, gear, tachometer, etc.

+ WILL THE HUD OBSTRUCT MY VISION WHILE RIDING?

No. The display is transparent, and we have positioned it outside the rider's primary field of view where it appears to float in the distance. It appears to be about the size of the rider’s outstretched hand. This means you can see the road ahead without any obstruction from the display. This display system simplifies the riding experience because you no longer need to take your eyes off the road to see what is around you or to find your route. With our optical technology, the display is always in focus no matter where you look, allowing instant comprehension of the information."

I'm pretty excited to get mine. As always, I'll spam the forum with some videos.

#108 ·
Have you been able to place this on your head and try this Infinity Foucus for your self? Even if this display if foucused to your eye and not your eye to it you are still breaking your concentration of the road and the cars to concentrate on the navigation or who's music is playing. Despite what THEIR write up says I just can't buy into this just yet untill more testers come into the market.

What the hell ever happened to just getting on the damn thing and riding it?????
In my old school opinion, all this bullshit technology is exactly that. As we get more and more addicted to gadgets and gizmos and dependent on the very next thing to come out of the Chinese sweatshops, we loose our ability to literally survive without it and we become more and more vulnerable to some asshole popping an EMP over the middle of the country. Then we're all fucked.

I think that is one of the best parts about riding a motorcycle. Its just you and the bike, an old school analog machine (At least my '81 is all analog) and the road. Nothing to distract you but your own thoughts or jaming out to the music. I print out maps still for long rides versus useing Nav. Learning how to navigate the old analog GPS is a dieing art.

#101 ·
Ok, who wants to start a kickstarter campaign to build bluetooth ECU integration hardware so we can read all the cool engine stuff and display it to the helmet? Aprilia is already on board with this on their newer bikes, but if you have a different brand of bike then an add-on would be necessary.

Cars already have it, so why can't we?

#105 ·
What would be really cool is to make a system that would replace the PC III and feed to a BT where you could have a custom display both as a dash and/or a HUD. This could be setup for a rear camera, security system, HUD, Dash replacement, and engine programmer with vital readouts and smartphone interface.

Maybe a Ardunio, or Ras Pi if they have enough power for all that. I know some of them are a bit on the slower side, but this should change over time.

This could be made universal, I'm sure many riders would like something like this for their bikes.

#106 ·
The cool thing with the skully is they have an open API to connect to, so we can create whatever Android apps we want to interface with it. If it really is Google glass, the possibilities are rather extensive.

#109 ·
If you want access to most the information you can buy ram mounts for your phone and/or gps, a bluetooth communicator, and be on your merry way. This is safer. It's called a heads up display for a reason.

Don't want access to the information all the time? Turn it off. Never want access to the information? Don't buy it. Not complicated.

#111 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.