Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Skully is looking for testers

14K views 136 replies 29 participants last post by  gibbonater 
#1 · (Edited)
#36 ·
The e-mail says pricing will come out Monday in another e-mail before the sale starts at 9am EST. I know I will have my phone on and looking for an e-mail. I can't swing $1K on a helmet right now so I hope it is less than that.

#38 ·
I'm just wondering how high demand will be... order two and sell the 2nd for slightly higher to help pay for the first. I try and do this on any hyped up product with low supply.

#39 ·
I doubt I'd buy 2 when you know it's basically version 1.0 and the next versions are going to be cheaper and have more features. The idea of paying to beta test has kind of gotten roughshod as of late. Beta testing used to mean they provide you with a unit, you test and offer feedback, and then they implement the improvements because you know the Beta version is going to have a lot of issues. To pay 1000 for a test unit, I'd have to be gauranteed the ability to get an updated helmet along the way, because in my experience, beta units have always turned out to be a hot mess.

#40 ·
Well, these aren't beta units. These are first gen prod. Beta has already ran for the last several months, so hopefully they've worked out the bugs.

The good thing with something software based, though, is if there are any bugs, they can easily be remedied with a firmware/software update, which I'm sure they've thought of and provided a way to fix.

#44 · (Edited)
Ok, I bit the bullet - but here's why:

Skully sent an email and stated that they would give the Skully to you if 5 people ordered through your referral link.

Here's what I'm willing to do - anyone that uses this referral link I'll give back $200 of my refund (so in essence, I'll still pay a bit for the helmet), but everyone here can get it for $200 less than what they are asking.

You guys know me on here, I'm good for it, but I realize this is a lot of money for some folks, but I really wanted to do a review of this helmet on my youtube channel!

Try this one first:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...43057546&fb_action_types=indiegogo:contribute
http://igg.me/at/skully/x/8409102

Hopefully that's the right URL, still trying to figure this out on their website, lol...

#50 ·
Unfortunately the prices are pretty much exactly what I expected. Sadly us grad students are not known for our deep financial resources. Maybe i'll be able to nab one as a graduation present. :whistling:

Ok, I bit the bullet - but here's why:
I am truly jealous. Make sure that you do a hell of a review so that we might live vicariously through you. :clap:

#47 ·
Hmmm, a Schuberth S2 is 599. If you add their SRC bluetooth thingamajigger (420 retail, 350 on ebay), then it's right around a grand and there's no display or camera, so it's not exactly a crazy price for a helmet, it's just a large pill to swallow all at once. I think I'm still going to have to pass for now, seeing as I need a new helmet before May of next year :).

How long do the links last for? I got the email too (Only an hour late!) but I didn't see an expiration on them. maybe I'll get the Schuberth now, and then save up to buy a Skully later.

#52 ·
That much for just a helmet... Or spend a few hundred more and get Google glass which you can wear anywhere.... I'll take the Google glass, k Thx! Now if only I could afford toys with my measly state pay...

Gotta save what I can for a down payment on a first house.

#53 ·
Skully mentioned they will work with each buyer to get the right fit, color, etc. So we'll be hearing from them nearer ship time I'm assuming. That's not until May 2015, so this thread will most likely be dormant by then, lol...

I wonder how many pre-orders they will sell. And if it will be worth trying to sell one on eBay.

#57 ·
They are WAY out of the price point. Someone can get an HD camera and a display and make an adapter that'll do the same thing.

Wait a while and just like any other tech toy, you'll see knock offs that'll do more for less.

$1,500.00 for a helmet? Can't see that making main stream.

#60 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too heavy. I may even just use it for a while and do some reviews for some YouTube action, then eBay it.

Unless it fully convinces me to replace the Bell, I'll be keeping that as a spare.

#63 ·
FYI, the Bell RS-1 weighs 3lbs 8.5 oz.

From Skully: A SKULLY AR-1 in size XXL weighs 1792 grams (3.95 lbs), or about the same as a modular helmet.

So not much more than my Bell, which I think is pretty light!

#64 ·
As far as noise goes, I would expect a high end helmet to have replaceable pads. You should be able to have different size/shape pads for any helmet.

My cheap HJC is just a simple design, but for $10 they could have made the pads snap in place. My EXO at least has replaceable pads.

#66 ·
I like your offer G00gl3it but still $1400 for something I'm not seeing till May of next year is just a lot of dough. I hope you get it and enjoy it. As other have said though I think when version 2.0 or 3.0 comes out I'll take a look again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.