Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Shoei RF1100 vs. GT-Air, which is better?

16K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  RVAniner 
#1 ·
I am debating between the RF1100 and the GT-Air helmets. Does any one have experience and info. with both that can help me decide between the two?

#2 ·
They're completely different helmets, at a completely different price point... The gt-air is basically a racing helmet, and if you don't do a lot of racing it won't be a great fit and the vents/etc are made for high speed, so street riding is not what it is suited for. The rf-1100 is a great all around street helmet and you'd probably love it. But it all comes down to fit and trying them on. I had an rf-1000 and loved it, but the rf-1100 just didn't feel right to me. It also has to do with what you ride. The rf's are made for rockets and the venting goes along with that. I always hated turning my head to the side with the rf-1000 because the air would try to rip my helmet off (I've always rode naked bikes) I just bought a qwest last week and the difference is astounding. If you ride a 919 (like it seems just about everyone here does) or anything with a naked/standard/sport touring riding position, I'd look into the quest, as its more made for that type of riding. But like I said, it all comes down to what fits you and what feels best on your head. You don't want to drop over 300 dollars on something you don't absolutely love.

#4 ·
Helmet Sports gear Hood Automotive tire Home appliance

The rf is called the xr1100 here in Australia I just bought the merciless design and absolutely love it after using a kbc helmet for years this helmet changes everything fits perfect and has cut outs for your sunglasses and earphones and is ultra quiet the only thing I will say against it is when riding with the visor up it whistles way to much which surprised me at $800 other than that it has made riding twice as enjoyable than ever

#6 ·
Reading the shoei website sounds like your right, my info was from a stealership rep... I just got a matte black qwest for 290 bucks, so you can get them for at least 100-150 less than an rf-1100 and 300 less than a gt-air... And it's definitely made for a more upright position... Like I said though, it all come down to what feels best and what your price range is. If I had an extra couple hundred bucks I probably would have seriously considered a gt air, but the funds weren't there. Good luck, let us know what you decide/how you like it!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah you can hardly go wrong with any Shoei helmet. I loved both my RF-1000's and couldn't imagine a dramatic improvement but the RF-1100 is just that. It vents better and is more aerodynamic. I literally feel no drag when I turn my head side to side at highway speed.

I just watched the video on the new GT Air. It appears Shoei's answer to the bells and whistles of their competitors. The retractable sun shade would be nice to have but the ones I tried were kinda cheezy. The GT Air looks like a great helmet. My only concern is that it is not Snell rated.

Shoei GT Air Helmet Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube

#9 ·
Even though they're both Shoei, they may size/shape a bit differently, and so it's probably worth an extended try-on session.

As has already been mentioned, fit is all-important.

I've owned Shoei RF's 200, 1000, and now 1100.

If the 1100 fits you, it's hard (for me) to imagine a better all-around helmet.

But then, I have a Shoei head.:yes:

#11 ·
I
Think it's a bit of a rip off that they try and charge for the breath guard at such a price and spare visors aren't cheap but that's all I can complain about and make sure ya get the right size my last helmet so I found out was one size to big and used to kill me at high speed a nice firm tight fit especially at the front cheeks made a world of difference no movement at all is what ya want

#12 ·
Are you sure that's a shoei thing and not just your stealership? I don't remember for sure with the rf, but my qwest definitely came with a breath guard

#14 ·
It came with the bottom curtain elastic thing but not the guard up near your nose to
Stop fogging but it has a setting on the visor that opens the visor just a tad to clear any fog so it's not really needed also it has a position that locks the visor closed not that I've ever had a visor shoot open on me ever, I like the fact it all comes apart for cleaning and washing the foam inside too but still hating the loud whistle it makes when cruising with visor up as I do to get some air on the face at times I guess the whistling is just a reminder to close up when shifting to warp speed
:)

#15 ·
Hello All, I'm new to this site but I've been following you guys for a while now --- well since I bought my 919 one year ago. This seems like a good spot for me to jump in.

I just purchased a Bell Vortex Damage for less than $200.00 and it's an incredible helmet with features I could only dream about when I bought my first open-faced Bell back in '71. I hooked it on as my avatar for awhile.

15 years ago, after a series of closed face helmets, I bought a Shoei RF1000 monza red, and at the time it was a wonderful helmet, but at 15 years old it was well past its retirement age. The helmet R&Dev. since 1998 is unbelievable; that Bell is 10 times what the Shoei ever was and I can only imagine how super the RF1100 must be at this point in its development. I compared the two and went the cheap $179.00 route, right or wrong, since I always ride with ear plugs to protect the little bit of hearing I still have, and the quality and design of the Damage, with the same orange flake as the helmet I started with in '71, sorta drew me in. I think I'm stuck in '71 with my colour choices -- and my music- go figure. The RF1000 had decent ventilation but the Vortex is far superior in the area --- thanks again the R&D.

By the way, you guys who post here have developed quite a site. I learn something everyday here, and often it's about motorcycles:yes:

#22 ·
I have a Shoei RF-1100 and absolutely love it! Mine came with the nose and chin deflectors, the ventilation is excellent and the action on the visor and vents is slick and smooth. It is by far and away the best helmet I have ever owned, and the details on the graphic on my RF-1100 Warlord is amazing.

#23 ·
I had that exact helmet bundled with buying an fz-8.... And then I got a 919 and it all crumbled...lol I really like how it matched with the gold forks and black on the fz8

#24 ·
Ok seems like no one has experience with the GT-Air. Plus the Air seems to be a touring helmet.
I need a vestal do it all helmet.
So I have upgraded my options and I am torn between the RF1100 or the Arai Signet Q.
If any one has experienced with these two or just the Signet Q I wold love to hear your opinions on this topic.
They both fit me well and I currently ride with the RF1000.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm looking at replacing my RF-1100 (same warlord graphic as above) and the GT-Air was an option. How is it on noise? The RF-1100 is pretty loud at speed and the local helmet shop says the GT-Air is pretty similar. The Qwest being the quietest of the Shoei lineup.

The GT Air Wanderer is a great looking helmet.

#29 ·
Ever since I tried on a Shoei RF1100 at the Indy MotoGP race I can't stop thinking about them. Such a great fit, and good looking too. I already have 2 good helmets, an EXO-400 and a new-ish Arai RX-Q so I can't justify getting one yet.

However, the GT Air has a sun visor! Kinda silly, but I often find myself staring towards the sun and wish I had that feature. If the GT Air fits anything like the RF1100 I'll have to pick one up one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.