Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Newbie Rider looking for suggestions.

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  mdouglas71 
#1 ·
Hey guys, buying my first bike hopefully this weekend, just wanted some suggestions on cool, cheap gear like helmet and leathers.

I'm buying a 2003 Ducati Monster 1000, so something to go with that style.

Thanks!

P.s. This is my first purchase of a bike, not the first time I am riding a motorcycle, my brother has already lectured me thoroughly on how big the bike is. But a good deal is a good deal! :yes:

#2 ·
Reactions: JeffreyStephen91
#4 ·
Hi Jeff,
For leathers I would see whose style you like that's reasonable then search for the older version. I ended up finding a Tourmaster Coaster 2 (thought the 3 looked great new) on ebay in my size lightly used for $105 shipped and think it's great. For helmets I think Bell makes nice stuff, I got an rs -1 but the vortex looks good too. Helmets are probably the easiest thing to find at a discount because the models rarely change but the designs are updated and closed out all the time. I got Joe rocket gloves but wish they were a bit more substantial, I will probably upgrade in the spring if I can find a good deal. If you are looking for boots/shoes I think the TCX stuff is a good value, I got mid height water proof boots for $100.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
+1... I found that site earlier this year and have bought a lot of stuff from them since.... great deals, and customer service is great:yes:

#9 ·
eBay is the way to go IMHO. I've picked up a few Joe Rocket jackets in excellent shape for $40 or so. Craigslist can also have some screaming deals (bought a Dainese leather jacket, Shoei RF-1100, A-star gloves, Axo boots all together for $300 compared to $1100)

However, don't skimp out on a helmet. I'd recommend going to a cycle shop to try out helmets before you commit to one. Then, if you're a cheap skate like me, get the cycle shop to price match the online guys and go from there :)

#12 ·
Great deal on that X11! :yes:

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the help! Still looking and shopping around. So far the wish list goes something like this.

Helmet: Scorpion EXO-900 'Solid' Matte Anthracite Full Face Transformer Helmet $279
(a little splurge on the most important part)

Jacket: Xelement 'Asylum' Mens Gray/Black Textile Jacket $79
(not really sold on this jacket, no shoulder pro. looking for something that doesn't scream "motorcycle jacket" so I can wear it more that when I'm riding.)

Riding Shoes: Cortech Vice Waterproof Black Riding Shoes $90

Pants: undecided. Any thoughts on Kevlar lined jeans?

Also, has anyone had any luck with leatherup.com? Seems like some good deals.

#16 ·
Pants: undecided. Any thoughts on Kevlar lined jeans?
I have Draggin Jeans which are made much sturdier than my Joe ROcket and Shift denims (with kevlar lined bum and knee). They don't provide impact protection, just an extra few seconds of slide time on rash. Worth the price difference IMO.

Quality-wise, Draggin is top notch for jeans. Joe Rocket's stretch panels make it nice to move around in on the saddle, also great when putting in hardwood floors lol

KenPhenix put some pants that's on sale on motorcyclegear.com, they're overpants with some fancy armor (impact hardening). $159 sale from $300

#18 ·
I would also goto the store and test fit everything on before buying. Definitely try to invest as much as you can into a decent helmet. That's the most important part of riding. I would recommend a Shoei. Then after that. If you can't find decent deals on gear, look on ebay. You can pick up a slightly used jacket for great prices..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.