Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

new soft saddlebags - advice from veterans

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  velodesign 
#1 ·
So I gave in and purchased some saddlebags for my niner. Prerequisites were not too big, good quality, and cheap. Under 100$ cheap.

So, i browsed the used stuff on ebay, craigslist, but none really struck my fancy. So i went onto revzilla and found these on clearance. Silver sv201. Couldnt find much of any reviews on them, and pictures were even more obscure. Guess they are discontinued, and retailers had them at 130$ plus.

I scored these for 90$ after cashing in my zilla cash. Good thing these are just for clothes in garbage bag storage, what a pain in the rear if i wanted to take these off the bike, not that user friendly at all.

That said, anyone have some good advice on how i should / shouldnt mount to? Check out the pics, offer some comments or suggestions. I dont want to learn the gard way on some tips or tricks. I've already stuck some heat insulation in the side area, and doing clear vinyl where the straps touch.

I have the supporting bungie attaching each and going around the whale tale.
And my ogio bag (in its fourth year) fits ok.

Thanks everyone.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive tire Luggage and bags Bag Automotive lighting Fender

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have about the same bags just a bit bigger. I was thinking of making a wire frame that goes from the rear peg up to the bags. It wouldn't be too hard to fab it up out of some 1/8" rod or something about that size. They really only need some support under the area just below the exhaust.

#5 ·
I really wanted to get a blaze set from swmotech but couldnt find a kit fhat was specific enoigh for the 919....not to mention they are way spendier than i want to spend. I will only use these a handful of times, just need them for packing stuff.

#9 ·
How about an adjustable strap w/clip like they use on backpacks.

Take a strip of nylon backpack material and clips, connect 1 side to the foot pedal and the other to the front of the bag. The one on the foot pedal could be a simple wrap around or bolted on.

When you mount the bag, you click the backpack clips, then tug the strap to make them snug.

I use this on my tank bag after the sipper broke and it allows me to instantly adjust the size with a tug on the straps (not pretty, but functional).

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.