Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Need help selecting a back protector insert.

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  EatDirtFartDust 
#1 ·
I just got this jacket in the mail and I really like it:

http://www.bikebandit.com/scorpion-exo-force-motorcycle-jacket

Except, it doesn't have enough protection as far as my spine goes.
I want to buy an insert, but I've never bought one before. I want it to be comfortable and actually fit right in the jacket.
I have a $90 credit with RevZilla, so that's what I'm going to use to purchase it.

Thanks for any help!

-EDFD

#5 ·
Get a ce level 2, whichever you get

#6 ·
I have a Fox Launch suit if I want a separate piece of armor under my jacket.

I want something I can slide into the pouch in the back of my jacket, then just take it off the hook and put it on as I run out the door.

#9 ·
The 919 rider said it fit in his Scorpion Stinger jacket, which would mean it will probably fit in my Scorpion textile jacket. However my jacket is a small, so the insert pouch may be smaller.
I think I'm deciding between this one, the Knox back protector, or something from Forcefield.

#12 ·
Very cool. I was using the standard foam insert in my A*'s suit at the track day where I wrecked. I got lucky that the worst thing that happened was a bruised/cracked rib, but then again, I didn't hit anything but the ground.

I've been wanting to beef up on armor, because clearly I can't ride within my limits, :laugh:

#15 · (Edited)
My choice of back protector is the Knox Aegis. Not cheap but its got CE2 rating which has a lower G transfer. You can also pair it with their race chest protector without needing additional hardware.

Joe Rocket makes a good valued CE2. And even better value... the one I'm selling in my classifieds lol

#19 ·
I asked RevZilla their suggestions and they emailed me this:
Hi Joshua,
We saw your question on our website and thought it best to respond to you directly. The Klim Viper D3O back protector will fit nicely in your Scorpion jacket. it has a CE level 2 rating and is very comfortable against your back. Please let us know if any other questions come up!
Cheers,
Eric

It's cheaper than I was expecting to pay, and is level 2, so I think I'll buy it.

#24 ·
I cut out the extremely poor foam protection in the hip area of a my Alpinestars one piece and wear Forcefield armoured shorts instead. That way one gets real protection. They have enough give in them that there is no need to take off your leathers and drop the shorts when a liquid type call of nature occurs. Forcefield is top shelf stuff, for sure, and I think my next armour upgrade will be Forcefield inserts in the rest of the suit pockets. I was using a Alpinestars Bionic back protector, then changed to version they have that also has an integrated chest protector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.