Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Ken's Heated Base Layer 3.0

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Ken Phenix 
#1 ·
I've been making my own electrics for 6 years now. http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f15/make-your-own-heated-gear-28728.html

I applied what I've learned to a new version jacket liner I call 3.0. Old 2.0 is still working fine, I wanted to streamline and tidy things up a bit. So this time I decided to combine my thermal base layer and heated jacket into one garment. I almost never wear the electrics without the base layer too. I found this Freeze-out brand zippered top they call a "gilet." Its thick poly fleece lined material is plenty robust enough to hold the wiring. As before I plan to tuck it in like a shirt to prevent the wind from coming up between my back and the heat. FREEZE-OUT - Base Layer Zipped Gilet - Tops - Base Layers - Street - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

For the first time I used a machine zig zag stitch to attach the wires - much neater.

I learned the hard way to take it slow with the machine. Once I hit the nichrome squarely with the needle - the needle won.
It was an easy fix. As with the assembly, I used an unshielded butt connector crimped, then filled with solder and covered with shrink tube.

In order to get the snug fit I wanted I had to settle for sleeves that were too short. So I cannibalized my old army surplus base layer and sewed the sleeves inside to add a couple inches to the cuffs and to make a double layer up to just below the elbow. This worked out well as the arms are heated only in the bicep area where I feel the wind the most. Also, I left the glove Y-cord out this time and attached it to my outer jacket. Now I won't have to don the heated jacket just to power the gloves on shorter commutes or milder temps. Before I was wearing the jacket liner without turning it on about half the time.

The wiring is essentially the same as the previous version. There are six 54" loops of 26ga nichrome around the body of the jacket (4 in front, 2 in back) and one 54" loop in the bicep area of each arm. Each loop produces 15 watts. (15 x 8 = overkill)

I noticed on version 2.0 the resistance wire would bulge through the hand stitching as the fabric moved.

This time I did not stitch the top of each section of wire to allow for expansion. I can also give it a pull at the top to straighten it out if I need to. I hand stitched the wires to the back of the left pocket so I'd be able to store the power pig tail inside. I just machine stitched through the right pocket since I didn't need it.

The power pig tail runs through the pocket for easy storage.

Here's a shot of the back. As before I took care to ensure there is no wiring at the belt line so I can comfortably tuck it in.

I think I'm going to like this one much better.

Anyway, it's all here: Homemade Heated Glove, Jacket & Boot Liners - kphenix

Enjoy!

See less See more
#20 ·
It was 24 this morning on my ride into work, with no heated gear! I had 4 layers on plus my riding jacket. I really need to get some heated gear. Whatcha doin' with your 2.0 stuff Ken? :laugh:
I appreciate you setting me up with your 2.0 linere. It has been working really well, till this morning. I guess there's a break in the wire somewhere. I'll try and trace it down on my next break. Any suggestion on places that may be prone to fail, a good place to start?

#10 ·
Another change of plans. I had intended to tuck the heated liner into my new pants but after trying and returning two pair of touring pants I am left with my old beloved but snug ReV'it! Dakar pants for another season.So again I employ the 360 conjoining zipper - this time without cutting off the tail. I am pleased.

The Freeze-Out Gilet is a snug enough fit that no wind could blow up the back but what the heck - my pants are equipped with this peripheral zipper so I might as well use it.

#11 ·
UPDATE:

We've had a few wet days around the 40 degree mark. I've had a chance to test the new electric base layer wearing a thin Nike Combat long sleeve shirt under it. The warmth gets to my torso so much better now. I'm also very impressed with the Freeze-out fleece - so much so I bought the matching bottom. I know most Cycle Gear stuff is poor quality - but I highly recommend this Freeze-Out brand thermal wear. :clap:

#23 · (Edited)
Dang man! I wore it just before I boxed it up and it worked. Sorry. If the whole thing is dead the break has gotta be in the plug or close to it. I've heard about others having problems with those Radio Shack plugs. I'd get extension cables from Gerbing or Warn and Safe and cut them to fit. The molded plugs are much better.

http://gerbing.com/collection/accessory-extension-cord-2.html

Extension Cord 1' - Collection | Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection

If I had kept it I probably would have gone over all the connections.

#25 · (Edited)
The plug ended up being the problem. I finally found a store that had a couple in stock. Got everything soldered and heat shrunk last night. The liner worked exceedingly well this morning, 24 degrees. Actually had to turn it down a little. :D I ordered one of the Gerbing extensions, but it hasn't arrived yet. Thanks again Ken.

#28 ·
Poor 3.0 got run over countless times on the Pacific Coast Highway. It got me home nice and toasty but then a number of breaks immerged. I didn't miss the loss of heat in the arms so I removed those loops. Then I repaired breaks in the torso. Good as new.

Now for a little housekeeping. The day I bought the cyclegear base layer I laid it on a burning candle and burned a hole in the right arm. Here's the repair.

I'm just not into patches but I thought if I could find one I really liked, one I had to earn I'd cover that spot with it. Here it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.