Just screwed up my new helmet shield - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Just screwed up my new helmet shield

I bought a Scorpio EXO helmet and polished the shield. I've done this on others before and have had no problem. All the sudden I'm realizing that I'm removing a coating that's on the shield.

I can't polish it out, so I'll have to live with it, replace it or try to remove that layer by polishing it all off.

I'm not sure what the layer is, might be UV.

Just a heads up on polishing your helmet, didn't have a problem with my other helmet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I did something similar on a shield but I think it was more of the wrong cleaner on the inside of the shield. It pretty much melted the coating. I was thinking that it was some sort of anti-fog, but not sure.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 15

I Know that Arai recommends nothing but water and a soft cloth(microfiber) on their shields. Certainly no abrasives or even Honda spray polish.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

post #4 of 18 Old 04-14-2017, 09:27 AM
McTavish

One must be wary these days.
I think inner coatings are more the issue.
Trusting an outer shield has no trik coating, I have found the best cleaner is no cleaner.
I coat with RainX, and with that on, all I have ever needed is some warm water and even dead bugs easily come off with nothing more than (clean!) hand work. Then let dry, then buff with a microfibre and voila, it looks like a new shield.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Live and learn, it was on the outside and I thought I cleaned it before the same way, but maybe I was more aggressive.

Oh well, learn something new, it sucks that all these shields have to be different.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
One must be wary these days.
I think inner coatings are more the issue.
Trusting an outer shield has no trik coating, I have found the best cleaner is no cleaner.
I coat with RainX, and with that on, all I have ever needed is some warm water and even dead bugs easily come off with nothing more than (clean!) hand work. Then let dry, then buff with a microfibre and voila, it looks like a new shield.
I thought RainX was not recommended for use on plastic? No? That's why I've always avoided using it on my shields. I usually just soak a paper towel with Windex than plaster it onto my shield for several minutes to soak and soften the bugs and make them easier to remove. Then clean with a soft cloth and maybe a little more Windex. I NEVER wipe my shields with a paper towel - too abrasive.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Discen

For those really impacted bugs, I like to use either gasoline, aircraft grade paint thinner, or if they're really stuck on there i bust out the good 'ole belt sander. Then I buy a new lens and it's as good as new!

post #8 of 18 Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I use this stuff in the windscreen, helmet shield, tank, headlight, mirrors, etc....right after a ride. Leave it on for a minute or so and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. Really works great on bugs.

Gonna have to try the belt sander though. Can you use the same grit as used on the tires?

post #9 of 18 Old 04-15-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
I thought RainX was not recommended for use on plastic? No? That's why I've always avoided using it on my shields. I usually just soak a paper towel with Windex than plaster it onto my shield for several minutes to soak and soften the bugs and make them easier to remove. Then clean with a soft cloth and maybe a little more Windex. I NEVER wipe my shields with a paper towel - too abrasive.
I thought glass cleaners like Windex was bad for plastic. Maybe they have a special one for plastic, but I've always heard the stuff for glass wasn't supposed to be used for glass.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

The belt sander sound like the best option. No harmful VOC's from the solvents to destroy the planet. Good idea.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
I thought RainX was not recommended for use on plastic? No?
The RainX bottle says don't use on plastic unless the manufacturer first approves it.
I decided to experiment on a small area out of the line of sight.
There was absolutely no ill effect.
Since then, I've been using it for years on Shoei, Bell and HJC face shields, and never have had a problem with any of them
Not only that, because of the easy hand only cleaning, and aside from rebuffing with a clean microfibre cloth after every washing never touching the shield, my shields seem to last forever.
If fact, I have never bought a replacement shield for any of our helmets since 2005.
We have Clears and Smokes for each.
True, I'm not a mega miler, but being fiendish about faceshield protocols makes them last longer while you see better through them, be it wet, dry, night or day.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
The RainX bottle says don't use on plastic unless the manufacturer first approves it.
I decided to experiment on a small area out of the line of sight.
There was absolutely no ill effect.
Since then, I've been using it for years on Shoei, Bell and HJC face shields, and never have had a problem with any of them
Not only that, because of the easy hand only cleaning, and aside from rebuffing with a clean microfibre cloth after every washing never touching the shield, my shields seem to last forever.
If fact, I have never bought a replacement shield for any of our helmets since 2005.
We have Clears and Smokes for each.
True, I'm not a mega miler, but being fiendish about faceshield protocols makes them last longer while you see better through them, be it wet, dry, night or day.
I just wanted to point out that what I did worked for years on my HJC and failed on my EXO. It would be nice if these things were labeled. It's clear the EXO is coated on the outside.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-16-2017, 06:01 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I just wanted to point out that what I did worked for years on my HJC and failed on my EXO. It would be nice if these things were labeled. It's clear the EXO is coated on the outside.
Maybe the EVO's coating is a hydrophobic one so the RainX would mostly be redundant.
But I can't see where you said what you polished with.
You've alluded to Windex, which is water reduced alcohol with some ammonia added in.
Ammonia is serious stuff.
The RainX carrier is HydroCarbon based, and alcohol is also a HC.
Why not try some RainX on a small patch on the non viewing area and see what happens?
Especially considering the faceshield is already blemished?

post #14 of 18 Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Maybe the EVO's coating is a hydrophobic one so the RainX would mostly be redundant.
But I can't see where you said what you polished with.
You've alluded to Windex, which is water reduced alcohol with some ammonia added in.
Ammonia is serious stuff.
The RainX carrier is HydroCarbon based, and alcohol is also a HC.
Why not try some RainX on a small patch on the non viewing area and see what happens?
Especially considering the faceshield is already blemished?
I use mothers wax/cleaner. It's not very aggressive and leaves a coat of wax when your done. It's the same you would use on your car. I've been using it on my HJC for years to polish everything up. I've used it on plastics before with no problems.

I have some specific plastic polish, so maybe I'll try that since it's already ruined.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM
McTavish

Quote:
I use mothers wax/cleaner. It's not very aggressive and leaves a coat of wax when your done. It's the same you would use on your car. I've been using it on my HJC for years to polish everything up. I've used it on plastics before with no problems.

I have some specific plastic polish, so maybe I'll try that since it's already ruined.
Surely the Brazilian Carnuba Wax is the problem! LoL

Past that, is it Plast-X that you have on the your shelf?
We use that stuff on our headlight covers and the stuff is nothing short of amazing.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Surely the Brazilian Carnuba Wax is the problem! LoL

Past that, is it Plast-X that you have on the your shelf?
We use that stuff on our headlight covers and the stuff is nothing short of amazing.
Actually it's Blue Magic and it says it's good for helmet visors, so maybe I should have used it from the start.

BlueMagic

post #17 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Actually it's Blue Magic and it says it's good for helmet visors, so maybe I should have used it from the start.

BlueMagic
I didn't know about that particular Blue Magic product.
Thanks for posting it.
But it is a compound type cleaner, and in my book no compound should ever be used for cleaning face shields.
Maybe as a desperate save, but not for habitual use.
Next we'll have someone trying Comet or BonAmi and instantly trashing a $ 40 face shield.
The beauty of RainX is that stuff simply doesn't fuse it self to the shield so cleaning is much easier and potentially less damaging on an ongoing basis.

Hey, we should try to find some WW2 turret gunner who did bright sun and night missions and ask him what worked on the Perspex!

post #18 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
I didn't know about that particular Blue Magic product.
Thanks for posting it.
But it is a compound type cleaner, and in my book no compound should ever be used for cleaning face shields.
Maybe as a desperate save, but not for habitual use.
Next we'll have someone trying Comet or BonAmi and instantly trashing a $ 40 face shield.
The beauty of RainX is that stuff simply doesn't fuse it self to the shield so cleaning is much easier and potentially less damaging on an ongoing basis.

Hey, we should try to find some WW2 turret gunner who did bright sun and night missions and ask him what worked on the Perspex!
I guess it's not going to matter much, the way I look at it is that I'm not going to replace the shield over this. In fact, my last shield as about 3 deep scratches in it, not in extreme critical areas, so I just continue to use it.

I normally ride full face, visor up, sunglasses that are "eye huggers" (they fit tight to the face for less air flow).

The time when I need the shield is when it gets dark and there's a lot of bugs. I can probably find glasses like the sun glasses with clear lens. I usually like open shield because of the weather.

Edit: I also see it like having a dent in my tank. I got a dent on the left side... I did nothing about it... then I got a dent on the right side... If I had replaced the tank after the left dent, I would have had to buy two tanks to have a clean tank. I'm not going to replace the lens at $40 a pop every time it gets a problem, esp when I don't use it much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Skully Talk | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode