Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Helmet advice

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Ken Phenix 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at replacing my HJC CL-16 with another Snell 2010 rated helmet. My main issue with the HJC is that when I'm tucked up or hanging off the bike in a corner the back edge of the helmet catches on my leathers and makes it really uncomfortable to look through the turn. The ventilation also sucks in my opinion (pretty much non-existent) I'm thinking about replacing it with a Bell RS-1. Can anyone confirm that this helmet fits better in the tucked position?

I'm looking at helmets that are Snell rated and preferably sub- $500.

#2 ·
All of the newer Bell Helmets proved to be too noisy for me.

I really like my Shoei RF1100, although it's not as quiet as I want (a heck of a lot quieter than the Bell), it is comfortable and well built.

They can be found for $<200-350 on sale, well worth considering.

Add a fancy mirror shield, you're still within budget!

Good luck!

I picked mine up in person here - Jamie Fales, the whole team, very helpful.

Shoei RF-1100 Helmet - Solids - $279.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $440.99

#3 · (Edited)
Right Steve, I just bought another RF-1100 and I love it.

BeeDeeGee, the first step is to determine your head shape. Then check fittment guides like webbikeworld and revzilla. Anthony even makes suggestions as to which helmets work better in the tucked position. For example, HJC & Bell are rounder neutral ovals while Shoei's shape is intermediate to long oval. If I try to wear a neutral oval, I feel undue pressure on my upper forehead and slack around the sides. Getting your head shape shape right will tell you which brands to consider. Fit is everything.

#12 ·
...I feel undue pressure on my upper forehead and slack around the sides.

I noticed this pretty harshly on my last 300+mile ride just a few weeks ago... I have the Bell RS-1. :banghead:

Beautiful helmet, but it seems I'll need to switch brands to get the better fit.

#4 ·
Awesome thanks for the advice fellas. I'm thinking my head is more intermediate oval shaped, but I'm not really sure. I wear ear plugs 98% of the time so I don't think the noise would bother me too much, but it may become a problem. I was interested in the Shoei RF as well, I really like having a mirrored shield too and the Shoei shields seemed pricey. The HJS's are really cheap but they are also crap LOL

I really need to try some on, but I feel like a dick going to a shop just try the helmets on. The price difference is usually so much cheaper online there is no way I'm going to pay a shop's prices. I really don't want to be that guy trying on helmets and just walk out, especially at a small non-dealership shop.

#5 ·
Awesome thanks for the advice fellas. I'm thinking my head is more intermediate oval shaped, but I'm not really sure. I wear ear plugs 98% of the time so I don't think the noise would bother me too much, but it may become a problem. I was interested in the Shoei RF as well, I really like having a mirrored shield too and the Shoei shields seemed pricey. The HJS's are really cheap but they are also crap LOL I really need to try some on, but I feel like a dick going to a shop just try the helmets on. The price difference is usually so much cheaper online there is no way I'm going to pay a shop's prices. I really don't want to be that guy trying on helmets and just walk out, especially at a small non-dealership shop.
I had to go to a bunch of shops and try on a bunch of helmets to determine what fit me right. Unfortunately with my long oval head shape only a few brands fit me right and they weren't on the cheap side!

#6 ·
I really enjoyed my first HJC helmet, an AC-10 with a composite shell and a Snell rating. It was in the intermediate oval category too. I have yet to pay retail for a lid. Once I settle on the model I want, I patiently watch eBay, clearance sites, forums, etc. Some are display models, some are slightly used. And I only get helmets with washable innards and will not wear one beyond 5 years from the production date.

#7 ·
I have an RF-1000 and they made a few improvements to the 1100 and now of course the 1200s are out. I would say go for the RF-1100. No particular reason, I just really like mine and if you were thinking about pulling the trigger on one I would say just go ahead and do it.

#8 ·
If an HJC fit , you will have a good fit with Nolan & Scorpion.
I really like the 2 scorpion helmets I have owned one the entry level ex400 and what I wear now an ex 1100.
I find the 1100 to be louder than the 400.
I've also come to realize the jacket I wear now causes quite a bit of wind noise off the shoulders .Got it and the 1100 about the same time , so not sure which carries the most blame...

#10 ·
Dunno about the RS1 in the tuck position but webbikeworld rates them pretty high. I saw one on closeout for $149 the other night.

I just bought another Bell Arrow helmet. $50 and a favorite of mine. Moves a bunch of air in the hot TX summer. Noisy but I wear plugs anyway.

#11 ·
My dream helmet is a Nolan but man are they pricey! Finally out of grad school, I will pick up a to quality helmet some day. For now, I'm rocking my 2nd scorpion exo 1000, of which both were picked up for less than $100 brand new. Quite the steal for the level of quality!

#13 ·
The Shoei shields do seem expensive, but honestly, I think they are worth it. They seem to last longer, scratch less, just higher quality.

I balked at first, now I'm sold.

The RF1100 is comfortable, the insides come out and go back together so easily - and the shield change, holy crap, it's so simple even my wife could do it! No tools needed!

With the Shoei being discounted so much everywhere, it's worth considering. If your head is that other shape, shop for an Arai.

Those are the two best IMO and anything else is second rate.

Not that there is anything wrong with that - they just always seem to be compared to the Shoei/Arai, "as good as" or "almost as good as" - why not buy the real deal?

#14 ·
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet?gclid=CODN-4W95b8CFa_m7Aod0x0AYg I know it is just a tad over your budget, but if you can swing it, I would. Best helmet I've tried and. I upgraded from a CL-16 and in terms of noise, comfort, air flow, versatility, aesthetics, aerodynamics, and fit, this thing blew them all away. I tried on the Shuberth C3 Pro right next to this one and it didn't fit me right and the strap choked me out. I usually get a medium for a snug fit, and this one fit just as my old. HJC's. I now have the SENA SMH10r installed and the boom mike fits in it like a glove with no fancy wire routing or w/e. The wife was never a fan of modulars because they look stupid, but this one is sharp and she wants one now. $0.02 This was the only pic i have of the mic install.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet - RevZilla I know it is just a tad over your budget, but if you can swing it, I would. Best helmet I've tried and. I upgraded from a CL-16 and in terms of noise, comfort, air flow, versatility, aesthetics, aerodynamics, and fit, this thing blew them all away. I tried on the Shuberth C3 Pro right next to this one and it didn't fit me right and the strap choked me out. I usually get a medium for a snug fit, and this one fit just as my old. HJC's. I now have the SENA SMH10r installed and the boom mike fits in it like a glove with no fancy wire routing or w/e. The wife was never a fan of modulars because they look stupid, but this one is sharp and she wants one now. $0.02 This was the only pic i have of the mic install.
I can vouch for this set up. The only dif is mine has the SMH-5 installed with a small mic velcroed to the front of the cheek pad instead of the boom mic. :yes: However, I don't ride in the tucked position too often, but I've not ran into any situation where the NeoTech was uncomfortable. I'm not sure about the Snell rating either. Hard to get Snell on a modular lid. Let us know what you decide Bee.

#15 ·
I have had an AGV Horizon for about a year now and love it. It's light, moves a lot of air, and has a good cut on the bottom for no-neck people. It also has an internal sun visor, and earpiece cut outs for speakers and a microphone if you use a helmet-mounted bluetooth. I have a scala rider in mine, and it fits perfectly. I don't find it particularly loud, it is quieter than the Scorpion EXO 1000 that it replaced, but I also wear earplugs, so I am not sure how loud it would be with open ears.

If you look around you can find a pretty good price... I got mine here:

Competition Accessories Search Results for agv horizon

It is not SNELL certified, (but it is DOT/ECE 22.05).

#16 ·
Sorry for the late reply but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I had the Shoei RF1000 for 5-6 years and liked it a lot. I upgraded to the RF1100 and it is so loud I wish I hadn't of purchased it. Even with ear plugs I'm afraid I'm going to go deaf. Looking for a quieter replacement.

#18 ·
The Bell I owned was far worse, I was stunned. When I inquired, I was told "It's a track helmet, wear earplugs".

Generally I'll wear earplugs with my RF1100, not all the time.

I like the fit, the quality, the ease the shield and interior pads come in and out, and the fact the SHOEI emblem is not a cheap decal I stuck over the name of a lesser helmet....

#19 ·
I went for a ride in the Neotec yesterday and wanted to say, its so quiet in there I can hardly hear myself yelling at the slow stupid drivers on PA twisties. You'd be sacrificing on the SNELL rating but from the one website I saw, this is as safe as a modular gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.