Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Heated gloves recommendation

5K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  EatDirtFartDust 
#1 ·
Getting cold in the morning up here in northern Canada. I have the wrap around heated grips but it's not enough. I figure with heated gloves I could probably ride to work for another complete month.

I did a search but not much came up. You guys have any recommendations on a good pair of 12v heated gloves?

Thanks

#8 ·
I have a pair of First Gear, and a pair of Gerbing's. I rode with both last winter, and found that I had a very slight preference for the Gerbing's. Having said that, I like both pairs of gloves, and I have no complaints about either one. Heated gear is AWESOME.

#12 ·
You only need heat around the perimeter of the fingers and on the back of the hand where the wind hits - if the glove is insulated well enough to retain the heat. I have read the complaint about the Tourmaster heated gloves that there is no heat whatsoever in the thumbs. They've had trouble with their gauntlet mounted controller too.

#10 · (Edited)
Firstgear is good. Their heated gear is made by Warm & Safe. Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe
Gerbings is good too. But I don't think any of the heated glove makers offer a Gore Tex model yet. If you already have warm waterproof winter gloves and if they're roomy enough inside you might consider a heated glove liner. Warm & Safe, Gerbings and even Cyclegear offer them. I bought my REVIT Alaska gloves a size up to fit my heated liners of my own making. It's a bit bulky but works well. The thing to consider is that all heated gear fails at some point. Warranties are good but you're without heat while waiting for repair or replacement. But if you make it you can fix it. I have made repairs at a campsite and never missed a beat. I also carry spare glove liners. They're so cheap to make. I don't build the controllers anymore though. I use Warm & Safe units.

#18 ·
Remember, heated gloves (and layers) are fine for short commutes but the longer you're out there and the colder the temp the more the need for a heated vest or jacket arises. When the core gets cold, the body responds be restricting blood flow to the extremities to protect vital organs thus exacerbating the problem of cold hands and feet. The effect of wind chill is exponential. As the outer layers of your gear assume the outside temperature it inevitably overtakes your body's own radiant heat. So heating your trunk can extend the time and temp range your heated grips will suffice. I use both jacket and gloves - I don't like to get cold and like "not riding" even less. So I gear up and ride. To me, my electrics are no less vital than boots and a helmet.

#27 ·
Interesting... My finger don't change colour, they just get cold real fast. Doesn't matter if I'm on the bike or doing other activities in cold weather.
Like hunting, holding a riffle when it's cold out, I have to wear thick gloves when everybody else are wearing thin or no gloves at all.

#30 ·
I have Gerbing gloves and jacket liner with some of those cheap grip heaters. Awesome combo I ride in the 30s on occasion. The grips and gloves combo is where its at. I'm sure some hand guards would make it even better. Plus all of Gerbings shit is waterproof. Buy used if possible to save money as I did

#31 ·
Does anyone need a new pair of Firstgear Carbon heated gloves in XL? I have a new-in-bag pair here that I don't need (because I'm using Gerbing gloves).

I took the gloves out of the bag and made sure they heat up properly when wired up. They still have that new leather smell.

#48 ·
Ken Phenix said:
Think of it as using the radio volume control to compensate for wind and road noise in a convertible at different speeds. The faster you go the more heat you need and vise versa. Most of the time even a 15 watt glove would be too warm for comfort at full power. But I can remember sustained highway speeds in 20 degrees when a 15 watt glove was barely adequate. If I stop at a light or encounter slow moving traffic I will need to turn the power down. I know some riders, especially those with limited electrical systems, who will use a relay on the brake light circuit to kill power to the heated gear altogether when the brake is on. I too had a hard time justifying the expense for gear I might use only a few weeks a year so I started with a hi/lo switch. I found myself switching all the time. I also found myself wearing the electrics much more than I thought I would. :hello:
As stated I have a controller. I know how they work. Just saying you do not need to have one

#49 ·
Um, BTW, my Firstgear heated gloves are sold...

...regardless of if, how, when, or why unspecified individuals choose to, or choose not to, use heated gear with a device designed to, or capable of, allowing, disallowing, or otherwise modifying the electric power applied to said heated gear to be metered, limited, or otherwise controlled, through the use of a control scheme that may or may not use one or more of the control principles listed herein, including but not limited to the types of binary, analog, pulse-width, duty cycle, PID, neural network, fuzzy logic, LUT, feed forward, expert system, trained dolphins, and beta decay-seeded pseudo-random number generating algorithms.

#50 ·
Um, BTW, my Firstgear heated gloves are sold...

...regardless of if, how, when, or why unspecified individuals choose to, or choose not to, use heated gear with a device designed to, or capable of, allowing, disallowing, or otherwise modifying the electric power applied to said heated gear to be metered, limited, or otherwise controlled, through the use of a control scheme that may or may not use one or more of the control principles listed herein, including but not limited to the types of binary, analog, pulse-width, duty cycle, PID, neural network, fuzzy logic, LUT, feed forward, expert system, trained dolphins, and beta decay-seeded pseudo-random number generating algorithms.
I wanna rewire the controls for the electric heating in my trailer. Will one of these methods work???? :whistling:

:lurker-eating-popco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.