Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Finally! My Gore Tex ensemble is complete

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ken Phenix 
#1 · (Edited)
I suppose we're all obsessed in slightly different ways. For some, performance mods and track days are high on the list and others are into paint and farkles. My thing is touring and more specifically having the right gear for whatever Mother Nature and Old Man Winter throw at me. The most insidious is rain - Texas coastal torrential rain. Nothing works and breathes like bona fide Gore Tex and it has taken me years to finally confidently hold the rain at bay but now I'm ready.

Here's earlier posts of my Gore transformation:

http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f15/gearing-up-for-warmer-klims-32683.html

http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f15/i-stayed-dry-finally-32432.html

http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f15/revit-defender-gtx-jacket-29840.html

I thought I had the summer rain glove thing sorted out with the Dianese Veleta which is a super glove - just too short in the digits for me. So I found them a good home here on WT. I got on the phone with one of the gear geeks at Revzilla and had him try on all the summer weight Gore Tex gloves in the store, Rukka, Held, all of 'em. The answer was $ CHA CHING $ the new Roadstar from REV'IT! I was the first to review this glove on their site. The price still scares me but they're simply amazing - fit, feel, everything.

REV'IT! Roadstar GTX Gloves - RevZilla

The only non-goretex piece left was my old Dakar pants, bullet proof since 2007 - just not waterproof anymore. I had been wanting the matching pants since getting my Defender jacket in 2012 but couldn't get my mind around the price. I was talking with a REV'IT! rep about something else and he let it slip that the Defender will not be back in the 2015 lineup. Feet to the fire, I snagged the last pair in my size and color. I asked for a break, alright I begged for mercy! They took pity on me - but not a lot.

REV'IT! Defender GTX Pants - RevZilla

Here's my review:

They're short on storage but I don't use the pockets much anyway. The big thigh vents are nice but the buzz is the Gore Tex liner. As I mentioned, I don't like the cuffs - they seem unfinished and the velcro can snag the liner if you're not careful.

The good news is the legs open enough to get my boots on without using the zippers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ken, glad you figured all this out - I appreciate folks who take the time to test stuff and do reviews, and I often do as well on all the products I buy.

I really want to get some good long distance gear, but I have no need right now. Kids are still too little to do really extended trips.

But some day I wanna grow up and be like Ken!!! Riding around the world!

#3 · (Edited)
Otherwise, I'm very pleased. I like the higher waist of the Defender pants. They feel great on the bike but would ride down a bit when walking. Adventure style suspenders were the answer. Heck I just couldn't let the Klim and Rukka guys have all the fun so a quick trip to Duluth Trading Co did the trick. Perfect! The hardware was too bulky so I cut off the big honkin' clamps and sewed the "braces" right on. Now I'm all set. :bliss:

:surrender:

#5 ·
I love Duluth! I have two pairs of their pants and a belt. I can't stand doing yard work or lumber work in anything else now.

Oh, sometimes I wear a shirt.

That's a good idea just sewing the suspenders on, I don't have much of a waist, so that's always a problem for me.

#6 ·
The suspender mod came out pretty clean. I planned to do a double velcro setup like Rukka but it would have been too thick. They worked so well I knew I'd never ride without them so I just sewed them on.

I also ordered the SasTech hip pad upgrade and shoved them in with the tempur foam pads that came in the pants. Feels good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.