Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

DIY Iphone handlebar mount

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  g00gl3it 
#1 ·
So a month ago I made an iphone mount for my bike.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Speedometer Audio equipment Gauge

I had an old gps mount I stopped using and belt clip holder for my iphone case I never used. I snapped off the belt clip and trimmed back ball receiver and glued them together

Bumper Gadget Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door

The only problem now is use the iphone so much I now drain the battery, so I need to charge it. I was looking at USB chargers on eBay and was confused. Do I by the direct line 12v or buy ones that are stepped down to 5v like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371100427260

I understand most cigarette chargers are 12v, but USB ports are typically 5v.

Future plan is to drill a hole mount so I can record I my rides with the forward camera instead of using a go pro.

See less See more
#7 ·
I had the same problem... no matter where I mounted it the lens was doing the wave up and down... :banghead:

#3 ·
I'd just get the direct 12 volt cig adapter and use a car charger on the your phone but they also have ones that have a USB port on it if you really want to more than one device at a time. I try to limit the amount of electric stuff period and pretty much the only reason I ever had electric on the bike was originally to power gps, which is slowly transitioning into phone gps. They still have a little work to go on the phone based trip planners but it's getting there and I think the headway will be a lot faster than GPS has been.

#4 ·
I would only charge on device at a time.

No one wants to be this guy

I'm just looking for a simple setup. I'll never need to light a cigarette on my bike, that's why I was looking at a water resistant single usb charging port. I always thought a cigarette lighter with a usb adapter would look too messy.

#5 · (Edited)
I had one on my hornet before I sold it and you wouldn't even know it was there when I didn't have something plugged into it. You don't have to have it hanging off your handlebar. I used the charger for a 12 volt port. If you just do the usb, you won't have as many options down the road (for what I don't know), but also, like the previous poster pointed out. I'd really only do one device, and going with that 12 volt cig adapter gives you a really wide variety of devices that go beyond the USB port, in the case of an emergency, say like a tire pump, offroad light, or even some other "emergency" type device.

If you look in this first picture here you can see the adapter, with it's waterproof lid (held tight by the white zip tie).

If you look in the other picture with my old GPS tell me if you can even tell where it is wired? Nice clean installs are just a matter of prep and planning.

Attachments

#6 ·
I connected an inline fuse and waterproof female cigarette lighter and mounted them under the seat with a small USB power adaptor in it. A stock iPhone cable reaches under the tank and makes it to the handlebars no worries. I have had no issues always leaving the USB adaptor connected. The good thing with doing it under the seat is you can lock the phone under there and walk away knowing it's safe while charging too. All cost me about 15 bucks.

#8 ·
I would prefer a cigarette plug. At 12V direct from battery you can use it for everything: charge tomtom with is own adaptor, use a electric pump to inflate tyres, or airbeds, or even to recharge the battery without opening anything. And with a dual usb adaptor you can charge anything at 5V.

I have one under my seat. It's concealed and more waterproof in there. I've put a switch too to disconnect it when it's not in use.

#9 ·
I guess I'm the opposite camp. Everything I would want to charge is 5v so USB was the way to go. If I need to install a 12v power source on my bike so I can inflate my air bed, I really need to re-evaluate my priorities.

I went with the 3BR Powersports USB supply. It provides 2.1A of current so you can charge your phone while running GPS/Music/CandyCrush. It's a little expensive, but it's waterproof (I've tested it) and it gets the job done.

#11 · (Edited)
Maybe this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabrent-4-P..._USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item5411403e3c

I got a "squid" adapter at Fry's Electronics that has 3 USB (A) 1 Mini USB, and 1 Micro USB. So I can power/charge my Samsung phone, charge my Uclear 200, power my XM radio, all together. From a fused lead direct from battery, then with a 12v USB similar to: https://www.denniskirk.com/283934.s...IqvwNG9A-B0-j0N5dlTo4kM2PZfuwLeRykBoC0Nfw_wcB. Everything is in my tankbag. Unplug one SAE plug, and whole bag comes off.......I love it, clean and very useful.....

#14 ·
Maybe this:

Sabrent 4 Port High Speed USB 2 0 Squid Hub with Mini Micro USB Connector USB | eBay

I got a "squid" adapter at Fry's Electronics that has 3 USB (A) 1 Mini USB, and 1 Micro USB. So I can power/charge my Samsung phone, charge my Uclear 200, power my XM radio, all together. From a fused lead direct from battery, then with a 12v USB similar to: https://www.denniskirk.com/283934.s...IqvwNG9A-B0-j0N5dlTo4kM2PZfuwLeRykBoC0Nfw_wcB. Everything is in my tankbag. Unplug one SAE plug, and whole bag comes off.......I love it, clean and very useful.....
I like the SAE to USB Connector. I may have to pick one of those up for phone charging.

#12 · (Edited)
Nice work! :clap: That reminds me I need to do something like that.

I use a basic 12v receptacle mounted open end down on the bars behind the windshield. I inserted a double usb wart and put a short screw in the side to prevent it from vibrating out. (and it will vibrate out) I made a rain skirt by covering the whole thing with a piece of large diameter shrink tube that protrudes about an inch below the usb ports. So far so good. :riding:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.