Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Canyon dancer

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  LDH 
#1 ·
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Got these and they have mixed reviews. Some people like them some don't. May wreck your grips. Just want to know wot you think of the product.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have two of them. I've used them numerous times. I've never had anything wrecked by them. Some fool, some where, some time probably managed to twist a grip with them. In which case, just glue on again, and be glad your plastics are in good shape because the bike didn't fall over.

#6 ·
Hagar, I've not had any problems. They're heavy duty.

When I was trailering and putting the bikes on back of the pick up a lot, I'd buy a new set of tie down straps every year, and write the date down on them. Cheap insurance. Ive seen lots of ebay ads over the years for damaged, used bikes that had fallen over, supposedly by torn or broken tie down.

If you don't have some sort of wheel chock, be sure and strap down the front tire. Just because the top of the bike can't go one way or another, doesn't necessarily mean the bottom won't go anywhere. The result is the same.

#9 · (Edited)
They are crap when compared to the CycleCynch.

The problem with the Canyon Dancer is the cross straps rely on pressure to keep them from moving against each other. Which means you have to REALLY TUG down on the straps pretty much to excess to insure that the bikes suspension doesn't compress even further on a bump. If it does it can and will cause the Canyon Dancer harness to loosen briefly and the bike can lean to one side or the other if you are in the process of a lane change or roundabout etc.

I used Canyon Dancer harnesses for about 10 years of my life and well over 100,000 miles of trailering my motorcycles all over the country. In that time I had numerous problems with them and more than once opened a trailer door to find my bike laying on its side or against the trailer wall & yes I have had many handlebar grips moved out of place.

I switched to the CycleCynch harness in 2006 and I have not had one single problem with them.

I also now incorporate the Pit-Bull Trailer Restraints for my main rides and only have to use the CycleCynch for hauling friends bike or a spare if I deem in necessary.

#13 · (Edited)
I've always used a Canyon Dancer with a wheel chock.

But: I also employ a second set of tie downs somewhere towards the rear of the bike, having all the straps slightly angling forward.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had any problems.

I like the looks of that Pit Bull thing. I may have to check that out. Looks like it only works on hollow axles, is that correct?

#18 ·
I use a canyon dancer in the bed of my truck. strapped the canyon dancer forward to each front corner of the bed. Then I run two ratchet straps from the rear wheel forward to the same points in the front corners of the bed. No problems.

#22 ·
Digging up an old thread...
[MENTION=81]LDH[/MENTION], can you describe how the Canyon Dancer and CycleCynch differ? Looking at some pictures, they do about the same thing. Either way, I don't like tieing down the bike via the handlebars... just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I stumbled across something like this that you could just attach to the lower triples (if you have a naked bike) and it seems like the way to go (assuming something like this won't bugger up the forks).
Welcome to Canyon Dancer, Inc. - Home of the original Bar-Harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.